Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Trouble removing my RS lower legs!
  • tommygee
    Free Member

I’m trying to service my 2010 Tora XC 120mm forks, and stumbled at first hurdle! Removed top bolt on left hand side, half removed both bolts on bottom of legs, tapped them with mallet etc, undid them fully, and no budging!
    How far should the bolts be in for the ‘pressfit’ to release? Do I need to whack the bolts hard?! Am I looking for a sound or noticeable change once the pressfit is released? I’m doing it to the online SRAM manual, its just not working!

haggis1978

dont tap them with a mallett, hit them with the mallett. tried it myself with a rubber mallett before and had to change to the claw hammer but i imagine a plastic mallett should do as well

pjm84
    Free Member

Did my mate’s Tora a couple of weeks ago. They can be stubborn and the seals were a f***er to get back in and flat. Unscrew the bottom bolts. Screw back in a couple of turns and hit them.

tommygee
    Free Member

Give it some welly then?! Am I hitting the bolts to release the legs? The bolts are easy to take out all the way – I’m just worried the bolts will ruin the thread if I hit them?

pjm84
    Free Member

No you’re hitting the bolts to release the internals from the lower legs. Once these have been released you can pull the legs off.

I had to whack the Toras a few times to break the “hold”.

tommygee
    Free Member

DID IT! Thanks lads, had to use a claw hammer. Its gonna be a long night…

smiff
    Free Member

for anyone else reading: don’t unscrew the bolts far. just a couple of turns. you only need to get the thing unstuck. more likely to damage threads if you unscrew most of the way.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Trouble removing my RS lower legs!’ is closed to new replies.