Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Trolls – if the cap fits….
  • allthepies
    Free Member

Jazus!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25641941

Nasty bits of work to boot.

RobHilton
    Free Member

wwaswas

they just don;t seem the sort of people to get angry about who’s face appears on a bank note.

peterfile
    Free Member

Caroline Criado-Perez has suffered life-changing psychological effects from the abuse which she received on Twitter

Really? Best stay away from STW

CountZero

Ms Morgan told the court that in an interview with police Sorley admitted sending some of the tweets suggesting that she had been “off my face on drink” at the time.

Paul Kennedy, representing Nimmo, described him as a “somewhat sad individual” with “some level of learning difficulties” who had suffered bullying at school.

Good to see they had reasonable defences, then: being bullied justifies bullying in turn. Dick. 🙄

uselesshippy
    Free Member

“Berried”. 😯

maccruiskeen

I’m sure I’ve seen the guy on the right somewhere before

teethgrinder

All this over campaigning to get a woman of a banknote. Tragic, really.

When I first heard they pleaded guilty (and IIRC, the lass has been held on remand) I thought it was a bit overkill for a bit of abuse on twitter, but then the woman they targeted came on and explained a bit of what they were subjected to, and I changed my opinion somewhat. No different to silent/abusive phonecalls as a way of harrassment, but more sinister, as it’s a lot harder to trace.

wukfit
    Free Member

I read an article about this on the BBC website earlier, and liked this bit

Ms Criado-Perez’s campaign began after the Bank of England announced in April last year that social reformer Elizabeth Fry would be dropped from new £5 notes in favour of Winston Churchill, leaving no female presence on bank notes.

Queeny?

jon1973
    Free Member

they just don;t seem the sort of people to get angry about who’s face appears on a bank note.

Yes, usually the fat ones are quite jolly.

convert

Quite fancy the idea of being berried. Do you think you get a choice of fruit?

hora
    Free Member

The problem with twitter is you say something anyone can and will type anything.

Learning difficulties or just lazy/feckless with a Solicitor defence? He still manages to use twitter

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hora – Member
    The problem with twitter life is you say something anyone can and will type anything.

Learning difficulties or just lazy/feckless with a Solicitor defence? He still manages to use twitter
    The only difference is anonymity gives people courage/belief they won’t be caught and distances them from the reaction that they would get if they said it in the pub to someone ie waking up with a broken nose.

hora
    Free Member

True

Drac

Why didn’t she just block them after the first post?

hora
    Free Member

Is that possible? Maybe it started off with her arguing a point/with someone or them?

footflaps

You can’t block/stop people tweeting.

wwaswas

Yes, usually the fat ones are quite jolly.

I think it was their age, more than anything.

I’d sort of imagined that getting exercised about bank note faces needed someone of more mature years. And possibly a tank top and gaberdine coat.

Drac

You can’t block/stop people tweeting.

You can block them so you can’t see their posts.

jon1973
    Free Member

I’d sort of imagined that getting exercised about bank note faces needed someone of more mature years. And possibly a tank top and gaberdine coat.

I don’t suppose they really care about bank notes, but just used it as an excuse to be abusive to someone. Not sure trolls like that actually believe in much.

maccruiskeen

You can block them so you can’t see their posts.

The problem is, unlike a poison pen letter through the post, blocking the tweets means you don’t read them but everyone else does – If a tweet is directed at you then its to you and its also in the public domain and about you.

So a tweet is like sending an abusive letter to you, then cc-ing to to everyone who knows you and also a whole bunch of people who don’t. For those people the malicious content of the tweet, with your name attached means that the only thing they know about you. Blocking the sender is like not opening the letter but knowing everyone else has read it.

Drac

Ah I suppose, never thought of it that way just my thought was I’d not have seen them so wouldn’t really care.

kimbers

As she pointed out on newsnight, twitter failed miserably to do anything about it and it was only journalists that identified the abusers
    the police seem unable/unwilling to do anything

andyl
    Free Member

That is a woman and a man in the pics at the start? I thought it was 2 photos of the same woman!

maccruiskeen

Ah I suppose, never thought of it that way just my thought was I’d not have seen them so wouldn’t really care.

Thats part of the reason a lot of malicious tweets are getting people into hot water. You can have something unpleasant to say about someone but theres a difference between muttering it under your breath, saying behind their back, screaming it in their face or daubing it on their front door. With a tweet you’re doing all those things at once but you might only have thought you were doing one of them. As the recipient of abuse you’d be very aware of how its both pointed at you and broadcast about you but as a writer of the message you might imagine you’re just thinking out loud or sharing a joke with your friends and not consider that its both very targeted and a very open channel.

wwaswas

I think there some interesting nuances about naming someone in a tweet but not using their @Id that may be tested in court one day.

i.e they would find the tweet if they searched for their name but it won;t appear on any timeline associated with their account or their followers.

GrahamS

“Caroline Criado-Perez has suffered life-changing psychological effects from the abuse which she received on Twitter”

Really? Best stay away from STW

I know this place can get a bit bitchy at times, but I’ve yet to have someone make repeated threats to find me, rape me and kill me.

Maybe I need to try harder.

maccruiskeen

It’s a shame that the media still don’t know what word ‘Troll’ means. I sometimes wonder if its a conscious decision to try and shift the meaning of the word because the strict definition of trolling has more to do with the way news-editors present stories than the miss-defined online threats and bullying discussed here.

In fairness to the linked article the BBC doesn’t use the word, but covering the same story the printed press (with the exception of the Indi who describe the tweets as ‘menacing’) and Channel 4 news do

Junkyard
    Free Member

Aye you just beat me to that point GrahamS
    However we have the mods to thanks for that as I am sure all that would happen within the first 24 hours of no moderation – not too you as you are far too nice [ unless its about road tax – you seem to get het up about that – probably banged your helmetless head 😉 ]

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Trolls – if the cap fits….’ is closed to new replies.