Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Triumph Speed Twin 1200
  • failedengineer

Anyone got one? I’m thinking about chopping in the F800 for one but I can’t decide. The Beemer was going to be my last ever bike, however ….

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

🙋🏼‍♂️

2019 with Nitron shocks front and rear. I got rid off of the Street Triple RS I said I was never going to sell for it. I do have a BMW Boxer though in my 1250gsa.

Matt_SS_xc

Yep. Very happy with it. 2020 bike. 6k miles now.
    Although set to change next year as most riding is with a pillion.

If I rode on my own most of the time I would keep it.

failedengineer

I’m planning on taking a pillion now and then – the seat looks OK, is it not? The ones I’m looking at are the latest model with Marzocchi USD forks (although the rear shocks are the same). Have you two done any other mods? How is it that one is always tempted to spend on expensive add-ons with a Triumph?!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The stock shocks aren’t all that, very much built to a price. Even the USD forks aren’t much better as they have no adjustment. The Nitrons are nights and day different.

My bike was pretty well kitted out when I bought it with Heated grips, V&H exhausts already on. I put the Arton clocks on it and the machined headlamp bezel, also modified the throttle spacers. Other than that it’s stock. The seat would be ok for a very short pillion ride, but no touring as it’s way too cosy.

Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150

Singletrack Reader Awards - Most De...
    Singletrack Video Archive: Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150
    Pauly
    Free Member

For a 1200 twin I felt it was a bit gutless when I test rode one. Newer version from 2021 (I think) might be better with lighter flywheel etc.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Interesting you thought that Pauly. I don’t find it gutless at all, strong all the way through the rev range even. What do you normally ride?

Pauly
    Free Member

I rode the pre-facelift model about 3 years ago @Blazin-saddles when I was considering getting rid of my S1000XR but I was not comparing it directly to the XR which wouldn’t have been fair. I was looking for something a bit slower as I was just riding too quick, too often on the XR so did test ride with this in mind. The Speed Twin just felt a bit asthmatic tbh. Could the dealer have slightly restricted it?
    My Monster 796 ‘felt’ quicker than the Trumpet too, but in reality the performance is quite similar. My Monster did have the race ECU and Termi’s though so a little bit pokier than standard.
    I’d be interested in trying the new one as it has improved suspension, engine should be more responsive with the lighter crankshaft/flywheel, lighter wheels etc.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I actually test ride the new one and TBh, whilst the engine felt a little better due the revisions, the suspension is still very poor (for my weight and riding style) I felt my Nitron equipped gen1 was night and day better in that regard, having said that the Nitrons also cost about 20% of the whole bike, so hardly surprising really, also, I prefer the ‘classic’ looks of the older bike.

I changed my RS to slow me down a bit and the only place I really miss the old bike is quick direction changes as the steering is a bit slower.

failedengineer

Well, I got one. 2021 in red, the newer version with USD Marzocchi forks and a wee bit more power. Rode it home from Shipley on Thursday in gale force winds, which was unpleasant, but just been over Hartside pass today. First impressions? Suspension is a wee bit harsh, although I’ll get used to that and the bars are a little low – I can cure that with some risers. Goes like a stabbed rat between about 3000-6000! Sounds fab with the standard exhaust. When the ridiculous Metzeler Racetec RRs wear out I’ll put some Sport touring tyres on. I’m going fit a grab rail and maybe a small screen and that’s about it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.