Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • DT78
    Free Member

How long before clutch mechs on CX bikes then? Makes sense really

the_lecht_rocks

Nasty. Where are you getting the Clements fae ?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Gutted, Somafunk 🙁 I guess at least you’re in roughly one piece.

My mech hanger completely exploded a few weeks back as a result of dropping the bike on its drive side at about 20mph. Lesson learnt.

I did stick the rear mech into the wheel on the original (alloy) Tripster, but that was entirely down to poor spannering on my part. Still – I got to singlespeed it for 20 miles to get home…

Hope you’re back up and riding soon.

toby1

But you stayed on the bike, good effort!

evilsovereign
    Free Member

Somafunk, gutted to see the back end pringled. thanks for the reply re: my size quandary. what is the standover on your frame. I spoke to shiny bikes today, who said I’d need a 51, and I emailed Kinesis, and they replied with 54. how much post have you got exposed, as your inside leg is 32″. thanks in advance.
    I’ve now go the wheels in motion, of selling all my single speed kit, and middleburn Rs8’s. got permission off my wife, I’m taking my ultegra 6700 groupset, and finishing kit off my road bike, then selling the rolling chassis.
    it’s going to be my carbon hardtail mtb, and one of these, once they come back in stock in a month or so. I can pre-order it tomorrow, that gives me time in which to sell off my other stuff, and get the kit in ready to build this badboy for winter.

somafunk

I’m thinking i may have been a tad hasty in ordering all new 10spd Ultegra mechs etc, as i could use this mishap to go 11spd?……..I might just send CRC an email to cancel the order whilst i price up the difference.

And clutch mechs on CX bikes? – great idea – why is not already done?….or would XTR 11spd work ok with Ultegra 11spd shifters? – if so then thats what i’ll do as my chain has came off quite a few times when hoofing it about on off road trails.

Any bike shop that has an account with 2Pure will be able to get Clement tyres as 2Pure are the importers, so that’s any shop that does POC/Ibis/Crank Bros etc.

evilsovereign : I have 5″ of post from the clamp to the seatrails on my bike, if you look back at some of my pics you’ll see that compares ok to other folk’s Tripsters.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

evilsovereign – have a look at pics of mine. It’s a 54cm. I’m 5′ 11″ with a 31″ inside leg. HTH. 🙂

Somafunk – every cloud and all that 😉

somafunk

Every cloud/silver lining and all that?……Hmmph, I wish my wallet had a silver lining as it is now decidingly empty after going Ultegra 11speed (i thought about Di2 but it doesn’t make sense for such a bike) – still i guess it was bound to happen at some point – so that’ll be me working the next few weekends to pay for this upgrade – £380 all in…ouch!.

If anyone wants a bargain set of near enough brand new Ultegra shifters and new Ultegra cassette then get over to the for sale forum 😀

andyfla
    Free Member

New ? That will buff out ……

Just glad you are alright, that could have ended up with significant exfoliation

somafunk

Doh!…like an excitable schoolboy with a hedge find of jazz mags i scurried off thinking that £380 wasn’t all that bad for a complete 11 speed drivetrain, guess who forgot to factor in the price of a new 11 speed crankset? 😥 , so thats another £150 ish…….Guess i’ll be working everyday for the foreseeable future, at least i’ll get to ride my bike to work and back.

Sigh……….

Cheap 10pd slightly scratched Ultegra chain set & BB on classifieds if any Tripster builders are after one

cinnamon_girl

Oh soma, that’s really awful. 🙁 What a fright you must have had and do hope that you’re not too bruised. Bloomin’ bad luck having to replace multiple parts though.

Heal well. 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

To satisfy idle curiosity…what does running a double achieve on a bike such as this? I have an inkling to upgrade my current cx so thinking about a tripster frame but with a slightly custom build and having liked the 1 x 10 on my arkose I am tempted by CX1 with a 38 or 40 front ring. A compact with 11 -28 cassette creates gear inches of 34.7 according to Sheldon whereas CX1 with a 40 tooth front gives 33.8 so hill climbing gear is sorted. Using the big 52 outer will give you some pace but the 40 front 11 rear will let you clip along at 26mph based on 90rpm so a reasonable lick. So, where does the benefit lie for a traditional road 2x set up rather than cx1 style? Do average/relatively fit people really pedal out over 26mph for sustained periods?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Improved chain line could be one benefit of retaining a double on the front…

STATO
    Free Member

How long before clutch mechs on CX bikes then? Makes sense really

To satisfy idle curiosity…what does running a double achieve on a bike such as this?

I dont have a tripster (but do have a disc cross bike) and run a SRAM type 2 mech, works very well. Currently testing an MTB chainset (28-42) ala the Planet X Ti thing. Needed an eccentric shim to get the front mech across enough to shift but now works perfectly, this gives me a nice low range but top end is still just about ok. Currently on a 11-32 cassette but the gaps are a bit big so will prob go to a 11-28 if i can. Dont see the point in going CX1 when a standard mech is cheaper.

maracucho
    Free Member

Just seen a Tripster on the workstand in Halfords.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

During Last season CX Nat series some where running single (1×10) with mainly a retainer ring, but no clutch mech, but that did not last long after a few had chain jumps/jams etc.
    Also a few where running doubles but using really close chain ring sizes, say 40 & 38, (but mainly keeping it in the big ring) just in case they need a lower gear later in the race and if the chain does jump off the big ring it more likely to be caught by the inner one.
    End of the day it what your legs and body can pedal and get away with.

birdage

Gotama, I originally built my Tripster with 1 x 10, 40 front and 11-36 back cause that’s what I had on another bike. It was absolutely faultless. Decided that I’d like a bit more speed on the road and put on a compact double with a 11-32 at the back. Yes a I’ve gained a bit more at each end but I can’t stand front mechs! I’m sure it’s my incompetence but it always seems to need some adjustment or other. Probably going back to 1 x 10. With a surly chain ring I’ve never dropped a chain on the South Downs.

brassneck

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-groupsets/kinesis-crosslight-disc-build-kit/10787991.html
    Just found this – maybe I should get this & a frame – then upgrade as & when?

Am I right in thinking this is just missing a saddle??

Looks good to me, maybe buy this and the fram and stash away for when the nights draw in (and the kitchen is done :-D)

brassneck

Wrong, just spotted the saddle is in there too!

EDIT: Looks like a fair few components won’t fit though, seat clamp, front mech, not sure on the BB. Might still be cheaper with a bit of spares bin raiding. Should get in under the magic 2K…

Nipper99
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the Niner RLT and the ATR and how did they compare.

somafunk

Shock!, Dom is leaving Kinesis info here, I’m sure all Tripster owners on this thread would like to wish him well in his new venture and we’ll be following his progress on Mason Cycles with interest.

Best of luck Dom, although i doubt luck will come into it, you don’t build a brand such as Kinesis with mere luck – so what’s on the cards for your first two frame sets?.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I saw that too, somafunk. I’m absolutely chuffed to bits for him. There’s a little twinge of sadness as there’s clearly so much of Dom in the Tripster, but I can’t wait to see what he does next. As I said on Twitter, if he pens something even half as good he’ll be flying…

somafunk

I’m just worried he does something tripster ish , that’d really bugger up my saving plans………..

😀

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Yes…. Me too. But embrace the ‘now’ – it’s pretty good and pretty much paid for…. 😀

I’m silly excited about next weekend’s 3 dayer on mine. Mix of tracks and road, travelling light, not huge mileage but taking in Sheffield and down through the White Peak before heading back up to Macc. It’s obviously meant ‘investing’ in a few new bits but the tripster’s at the heart of it. Can’t wait!

somafunk

I was having a think about what gearing i want for the Tripster after browsing through the Touring bike gearing thread and i’ve thought about another solution.

I don’t really use the big ring that much on my bike for leg strength reasons (spinal cord damage) so i was considering a Jones Loop bar (there’s one on the classifieds) and run it with a longer stem obviously, i ran a jones bar on my Soulcraft for a while back in 2005 and i was impressed with it, i could then go for XTR 11 speed with an XTR clutch mech and a 11t – 40t cassette

36 tooth chainring and 11 – 40 cassette would give me a very decent spread of gears, from a 24.3″ climbing gear to a tarmac eating 88.3″, seeing as my average speed on the bike is 12mph at best i don’t really see the need for a 46 outer chainring.

It would prob work out to a comparable price to the Ultegra set-up, and it’s got the important clutch mech for off-road duties, the XTR shifters would play nice with the Jones Bars, i could run some pimply Pauls cable disc brake levers and the Jones Loop bar has loads of suitable hand positions for touring and for gps units/lights etc.

Am i blinkered in not seeing anything wrong with this set-up?, the more i think about it the more it seems a no-brainer?.

1-shed
    Free Member

Do you want to turn a lovely drop bar bike into a posh hybrid?

somafunk

I can’t ride in the drops for more than a minute or so at a time due to a fused spine so drop bars are pretty useless, i’d say 99% of my riding is spent on the hoods and i love the angle that woodchipper hoods are set at so the Jones Loop would be a very similar position.

It’s all bikes innit?, no such thing as lovely drop bar/posh hybrid to me – It’s a bike and above all else it should be fit for use which is why i’m considering the Jones Loop Bar idea…..if it upsets folk due to the monstrosity of the idea then i’m all for it 😀

the_lecht_rocks

drop bars demand STI units tbh. but it’s up to you innit………

gonetothehills
    Free Member

In the unlikely event anyone’s interested, I can update my tyre / guard status…

Having happily run 25/28c Conti road tyres for a year with the P35 SKS Chromoplastics, I flirted with wider tyres and enjoyed the 40c Land Cruisers, with the guards off, obviously. I opted to try some Conti Speed Rides – a development of one of their old CX race tyres, but now in a 42c width. All the reviews I’d read suggested they come up nearer 37mm so went with some nice SKS Blumels P45 guards. However – put them onto the sensible width Kinesis CX Discs and they come up 42mm. Don’t you just hate it when these brands know what they’re talking about?

So – they don’t fit. But the 37mm Travel Contacts I’ve just bought do, so that’s the current, tour ready setup.

There’s a couple of pairs of wide tyres for sale if anyone’s interested. The Speed Rides really did look like they’d be good and 420g for a 42mm wide tyre is pretty, erm, speedy.

I’m also trying to find a happy medium for a rear bag – between the Altura Arran – 5 litre seatpost mounted bag and a Topeak DX bag that’s got the built in side panniers. What are these stuff sack based, post mounted ones that a few of you seem to have? I really like the low profile look and have a Deuter frame pack for odds and sods. Just think I need 8-10 litres at the back if I can.

the_lecht_rocks

http://Www.bridgestreet.cc

I should have gone for the large.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Very tempting. Just watched the video but was thinking the medium. I’ve got one change of lightweight clothes, very basic toiletries & meds, small first aid kit, basic spares and tools. No shoes.

Did you find a coupon code for the site? Did they deliver fairly sharpish? Like the idea of buying British too.

the_lecht_rocks

Next day delivery. Give Jonathan a call, nice guy !

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Cheers fella. I dropped him a line last night so will hopefully be able to order on tues. Out of interest, what did you fit in your medium? Did it sit far enough back using the high mount not to touch your thighs?

the_lecht_rocks

Yes, it’s a great design and oriduct. I carry a full suite of spares and repairs inc. tubes as well as lunch, t shirt, socks, pants, shirt, yoghurt, towel and facecloth. It does get full if I carry a plastic lunchbox.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

another question for you folks.
    As I’m going to build the bike from scratch, which choice of brakes.
    TRP spyre, or spyre slc, or the hydraulic ones? the slc’s are not much more than the standard spyres, and they do look more discreet. is it worth £100 an end for the hydraulic ones? Hopefully i’ll be back ordering my frame lunchtime tomorrow.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I would go for the SLCs – being cable they will be more repairable on the trail than hydros and it is likely that you will be covering decent distances on your tripster, so that might be a consideration.

Also some people report that some of the hydros are a bit grabbier than ideal on a bike with narrower tyres than a mtb.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

There is the Hope V twin brakes.
    Also I do have left the rare Kinesis Disc bike build kit left ideal for Pro6 or ATR.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

Well I’ve done it. I’ve placed my order for a 54 today. should be here in a few weeks. Happened to pop into my LBS on the way home from work, came out with tyres and tubes ready for it. happy days.

bugcab
    Free Member

Okay resistance broken down after 21 pages and too many views of your great looking bikes. Having promised to sell the grossly underused carbon roadie I am in. Anyone know of a better deal than Shiny bikes with 5% code on the frame (or is there a great deal somewhere on built bike)?

evilsovereign
    Free Member

Bugcab,
    get a frameset from shiny bikes, groupset from merlin, maybe wheels and brakes as well. it’ll not cost much more than a stock build, and it’ll be custom to you. that’s what I’m doing.

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.