Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tripple speed crank sets what’s good?
  • mattyfez

My aging sram one still works fine, but looks like a dogs dinner from general wear, and the teeth on the middle ring unsupprisingly is very shark tooth like, but it’s been bomb proof and has a lot of millege on it.

Are there any better alternatives than another cheap sram crank set?

I could go for a 2 speed one, but I’m on a square taper bb so seems more hassle when i could just chuck another tripple on.

Rear cassette is 9 speed.

Thanks

bsims
    Free Member

Why not treat yourself to a new BB?

Then get your double and choose the ring sizes. I found climbing was much easier when I went from a 42/32/24 to a 40/28. I don’t live where there are steep long climbs though.

mcnultycop

Why not just replace the rings?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJay
    Free Member

Replacing the rings is an option as above; in fact I’m still extending the life of an ancient XT Octalink 3×9 chainset this way.

You might still find some Deore 3×9 chainsets around but I’m pretty sure that 3×10 chainsets should work for you too and would give the option to upgrade the back end to 3×10 at a later date if you wanted to.

sparksmcguff

Was going to half jokingly suggest a single ring setup. But I’d just change the rings if it’s a square taper BB. Should see you right for  plenty of miles to come and cheap.

mattyfez

Think my rings are riveted together, I’d have to replace the whole crankset.

keithb

Decathlon used to do square taper cranks if there one near you?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tripple speed crank sets what’s good?’ is closed to new replies.