Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Triple to a single …………………Old skool goes modern
  • Thrustyjust
    Free Member

New frame coming with no front mech. I therefore am going single ring, but need help on spec. I do have an XT 10 speed groupset , so thinking that a 34t front ring and a 10 to 46 cassette. I am on a 29 er for wheel sizing. I will be using this bike for 50 mile xc rides but worry about running out of gears either end. Would this suffice ?
    Can I use the 10 speed rear mech and an 11 speed cassette, chain and shifter ? We are always on a budget 🙂
    Still looking for the adaptor kit for the lefty to the frame , which Qwerty say arent easy to get hold of, which is a shame.

OwenP

Gearing will be personal to you and your local riding really, that setup will work but is similar to what I generally run in SE England for XC, might be a bit much if you live somewhere with big tricky climbs.

Mech and chain combo might work, but need to check the shifter pulls the right amount of cable for your mech. The other thought is that a 10 speed mech might not be a “clutch” type and if you are going to single ring you need to think about how you will keep the chain in place

Onzadog
    Free Member

Plan your hearing to keep your old bottom gear (unless you never used it) and learn to spin more at the top end would be my advice.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I do have a clutched long arm mech , so just seeing if the xt 11 speed would work . I will get a retainer front ring also. I am worried about loosing top end as its a 42 T to 11 rear currently but that would affect the larger climbing gears if I went any larger than 34T .

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Onzadog , I do spin as well, being on a singlespeed for 48 miles at the weekend, but can get tiring after a few miles. Its all learning again.

breadcrumb

42fr:11rr on a 29er is massive gear.

As said gearing is a very personal thing. I’m on a 32 up front with 42-10 out the back and for lakes riding it can be little tall at times, the 10 tooth sprocket hardly sees any use

whitestone
    Free Member

Here in the Dales on 29ers I’m either 30T or 32T front with 11-42T cassette. 32:11 gets me Strava top ten on flattish off-road segments while 32:42 will get me up pretty much anything that I’d be capable off no matter what gearing I had.

Have a play on http://gear-calculator.com/ and figure out what setup compares with what you have or what you are happy with.

didnthurt

In my opinion I you’re making a sensible choice, I’d also get a 32t or 30t chainring so you can swap it for big days in the hills but for rides up to a few hours you’ll be fine.

As for reference I’ve got a 32t chainring and 10-50t cassette on my 29er and only use the two lowest gears occasionally. Also I have a cross bike with a 40t chainring and 11-42t cassette and can climb some pretty steep stuff with it and only spin out on a flat or downhill road.

joebristol

A 10-46 cassette won’t fit on a standard Shimano type freehub. Smallest rear cog an 11t unless you’re changing wheels / freehub.

I’m not sure a 10 speed mech designed for 3x is going to manage an 11 speed wide range cassette. I’m putting a budget bike together for my nephew and there is now an 11 speed deore mech that’ll cope with an 11-51 – it was around £40.

I picked up a Sunrace 11-46 11 speed cassette also for around £40.

Is the new frame boost / is your hub boost? Something to think about.

Are your cranks boost spaced if the frame is? You might get away with non-boost in a boost frame but you might not.

Just a thought – 34/46 on a 29er isn’t a hugely low gear – I doubt it gets anywhere near the lowest gear on a triple. Is 1x the right approach for you – maybe consider a 2x? Either that or a bigger range cassette would be useful – it wouldn’t be cheap but 10-51 or something like that would help.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Thanks for all your ideas and help. 42 -10 does get used , I can see the teeth have been ground in :). I am in the flat ish south. A ride is usually between 2500 and 3000ft of climbing over 45 miles, although there is flatlands between , which I normally can pace at 17 to 19 mph with ease. So if I can still get that on a 34 without spinning to oblivion I should be happy. Looking at the price of cassettes then getting the right one is cheaper changing the front ring .

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Joe, the frame is an Ibis DV9 and one only. Yes, guess its an 11 on there, didnt think right . Was 50 last week and the heads still defuzzing 🙂
    I wont be going as big as 50ish on the rear. For where I ride I can single speed climb ( as I found out yesterday) and quite strong legged but dont want to kill myself as the wife wants a man to do the man jobs !

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

So, I have ordered an XT 11 to 46 cassette now and also emailed Ibis UK about if non-boost cranks will work or I need to buy some cranks . These things always seem to head over budget 🙂
    Reading MTBR and 34T is the biggest front ring without touching the chainstay, so aiming to get that rather than anything smaller.
    Just hoping the rear 10 speed mech will work. Its shifter is dynasis and the 11 speed is dynasis 2 and hope the I spec version will mount the xt brake lever.

theotherjonv

34/11 @ 90rpm (a comfy spin) on 29er wheels is 36kph.

Spin fast for a period (say 110) and you’re at 45kph

You might run out downhill occasionally but my balls usually give up before my legs offroad at that speed. Learn to freewheel and enjoy it!

joebristol

Fingers crossed for you on the mech – but if not that new deore 11 speed one is pretty cheap around £40 – plus a clutch mech will help keep the chain on your NW chainring.

zippykona

On my fatty I’ve fitted a granny ring but no mech or shifter.

If I need it ( which is hardy ever) I can move it by hand.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I dont think there is space for a granny Zippy.
    Hopefully frame is being shipped today from Germany so will get it next week. Be good to get it in the flesh , so I can look further into fitting stuff.
    May order the 11 speed shifter later and anyone used a 10 speed chain or will I need an 11 speed ? Not a problem, just dont want to spend if there is no need.
    11 speed cassette on a 10 speed hub, do I need a shim at the back of the cassette ?
    Sorry for all the questions. Maybe I should have stuck at 10 speed with a range extender.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Project is gaining pace , in a way. Ordered today a 34t Hope black chain ring and also the 11 speed shifter.
    Need to remove the Thomson seat post and stem from my bust C456 .Strip the shifters off the brakes and sell them. Remove lefty stem as doesnt fit the steerer conversion. Remove chainrings for single. Will see if the cranks will work before fitting the ring , incase I need boost cranks and then I can return the ring for a credit.
    Also may have found a lefty conversion kit in the USA , so emailed them to confirm which kit I need as Qwerty seem to be struggling with one.
    Main thing is the Ibis frame is on the move from the bike shop in Germany via DHL according to the tracker 🙂

keithb

On ratios, I recently went 1×9 and spent the preceding 2 months riding my regular trails, but thinking carefully about what gears I was using.

Ended up going for a 38t ring (on a 26er) and it seems to have worked out nicely with an 11-42 cassette. A 34t ring on 29er should be fine.

Cheap rings from eBay/Amazon seem to work fine too.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Thanks Keith for your research in gears. I actually own a 26 er with a 1X but with a road cassette and a 36T on my work commuter. In the rain heading to work the other day, I had to sprint to try and beat the sudden storm and realised when I got there, I still had a gear or 2 left.
    I am pretty confident in what I am using on this bike . Bit late now as the cassette and shifter is here tomorrow from CR and cassette from Wiggle in a few days ( birthday vouchers meant shopping in different , albeit the same company places) Not sure on the I spec shifter fitting, so that may head back to CR if it doesnt.
    Does anyone know how to remove the I spec Mk1 lug in the brake lever ? I ‘think’ there is a pin that holds the lug in place, as dont need the front mech one now. Do I have to drill it out ?
    One thought which came to light tonight was that some say the 11 speed cassette doesnt fit properly on a 10 speed freehub. Watching youtube shows some do and others machining freehubs and cassettes !. Luckily, I bought a few months ago a set of DT Swiss road wheels in 11 speed. I have 10 speed Di2 on the bike, so have swopped the freehubs over, so the MTB has the road freehub now and the road one has the MTB , minus the spacers I had to use previously. Cant see why it wont work and the freehubs are different.
    I also have ordered from the USA, from a company called Project 321 , a lefty conversion kit . Qwerty seem to struggle , which I guess is just the rarity of fitting leftys to other makes and supply, but these guys make their own and looks great. I went for a tapered version, as thought it a little stronger. I liked the way they answered emails and stupid questions by me , immediately , which made me confident in spending money with them. Top people ( well the boss , who I was dealing with)
    I will stick some pictures up if people are interested in the build and progress, when the frame arrives. I know this isnt ultimate or super special or the first DV9 here, but just a log of changing to modernise a 50 year olds bike and probably the first one with a lefty on 🙂

molgrips

I was on a 30t ring for ages on my 29er with 11-42 at the back. There was one road descent on which I’d spin out, for about 100 yards. No biggie at all. My other 29er has 34/11 for the top gear and it’s not an issue locally, but if I am on big mountain descents it’s a little annoying to not be able to pedal. But only a little annoying, really no big deal.

bobodaclown

Sounds like it will be a nice build,I am interested in seeing how it progresses have fun with it

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Update today is a few parts have arrived. I got the shifter, which doesnt fit 🙁 needs to swop for a clamp one. The adaptor kit for the disc and non drive hub end, thanks to Northwind for his link

And the mother of all cassettes as well. Sure I used to toss these things in the playing fields on sports days ! Its 120 grms heavier than the XT one I took off. Yes, I know you loose a shifter and mech and cable etc , but blimey its huge. Not sure my 10 sp mech will straddle the thing.
    Fitted it loosely to the freehub and works well with the road freehub and should tighten up correctly.
    Also have the Hope front 34T chainring. Its a nice thing. Been away from Hope for years as got bored of bits failing, so since this was a part with no moving parts and the choice of 3 makes available at C.R , seems a wise choice so far.

Other news is the frame is now in the UK, whichever airport DHL land at for the south, potentially Heathrow, so might get it tomorrow , with any luck. We will see.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

So, 7am this morning Mr DHL reverses up the drive and deposits a box with Ibis printed on the side. Looks like I ‘will’ be late for work today, which I was 🙂
    Looks really nice and the colour doesnt show up well. Its like a creamy off white and may look a little different with a totally white lefty.
    So, tonight was cranks on and back wheel in. Seems the triple cranks with a long rule doesnt line up with the middle of the cassette. So, chain ring off and fit in the middle ring location. Nope, hits the chainstay. So back to the outer spot and I decided to disasemble the BB and move the e type spacer to the non drive side. This then gave a much better line , but its still a guesstimate until I get the chain on and try, which I cant currently.
    Also fitted the Thomson seat post off the C456 .
    Chucked the back wheel in and tweeked a little to centre in the chainstays . Looks reasonable but still waiting on the drive side end cap to be able to tighten the wheel in.
    Email from USPS to say my lefty converter is with them and on its way.
    Sent the shifter back to CR and ordered the clamp version.
    Thomson 70mm stem is too short for the lefty, so swopped off my Stooge, the 90mm version which now seems to clear.
    Getting there slowly and think I have most stuff now on its way. Its been a lot of work and should be worth the first ride.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Do you maybe need a boost offset chainring to keep it in the right place?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I may do , but the straight rule ‘seems ‘ to think we might be fine. The chainring is now about 4mm from the chainstay, which is as close as I want it. Proof will be when I get the shifter and then set the rear mech ( if it works with the flying saucer cassette) and then chuck the chain on. That will answer the question more on chain rings 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Triple to a single …………………Old skool goes modern’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.