• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by ajc.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Triple glazing
  • muddyjames
    Free Member

Anybody fitted or had fitted triple lazed aluminium units?

Recommendations of brands or ones to avoid?

If you did it a while ago how are they faring?

nealglover
    Free Member

B

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Dunno about brands – but my flat has triple glazed windows/french doors – then 6 inches back from that another pane of glass.

Can’t hear a **** thing and I live right next to a railway.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Quadruple glazing? Wow. I thought folks would be saying triple not worth it! Not so much the noise as insulation and longevity I was interested in.

JAG

I’ve encountered triple glazing on all my holidays in Sweden and Finland.

We’ve had proper cold (-35 Celsius) and very windy yet have been warm and toasty inside. It’s a real step-up from the double glazing at home. I was very impressed.

Fat-boy-fat

I’ve got triple glazed sliding door units installed. They’re amazing. From a company called Skyglaze down in Londonshire. Highly recommended peeps. Don’t go to IQGlass. Bunch of shysters who don’t install their own product and fob you off with even more shysteree peeps for that. Grr.

Selled
    Free Member

I have it, had it installed about 8 years ago. I highly recommend it, temp and sound insulation is fantastic. Don’t scrimp on the frames though, the panes are extremely heavy and therefore the frames should also be beefed up.

matt_outandabout

Do remember they are great isolators from noise and light. This means they can reduce light and solar gain.

I personally plan (when I self build of course) triple glazed to N,E and W, double to South.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Thanks! Who did you go with Selled?

Ideal Combi do some that look fairly substantial I think.

Interesting point Matt- hadnt really considered that. The sun does move around in the day so for where I am it’s the front in the morning but more back side later in the day.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

triple glazed to N,E and W, double to South.

Not sure why you’d do that. Triple glazing really doesn’t add much cost over double on the total price of a job (with the same quality frames).

Sound insulation is slightly better, insulation value is better though not as much as you’d think (theres a huge change in these from single to double, not so much from double to triple). The main benefit comes from the inner pane being a few degrees warmer – that means you get less convection and draughts within the room, and can sit closer to the window without feeling a drop in temperature.

All has much more impact in a well insulated, airtight, house – much less benefit if it’s leaky an poorly insulated (or If you still fit trickle vents to make airtight windows draughty and by pass the sound barrier)

3g windows throughout our place.

Kryton57

This ^^

The salesman I dealt with will have you believe its 300% better than double glazing.  In fact his words were (reflecting also on a slightly mirrored surface on one of the panes) “…that it’ll be amazingly cooler in the summer and hotter in the winter…”   Its bollocks, its marginally better.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I had it fitted for a couple of reasons.
    The sofa is near a window so the lower surface temperature of the glass means less convection current causing a draught, sometimes I notice it as although the building is draught free it still has air bricks and the heaters naturally cause air movement but it no longer feels like a cold spot to sit.
    The sound insulation, I’m on a road, it’s not a busy/noisy one but wanted to reduce noise if I could. I actually get more noise through the dormers (just tile hung stud work and a bit of jablite stuck in the cavity) I think the windows probably have a lower u value than that part of the exterior wall!

As for being darker? Technically they may transmit less light but you certainly don’t notice it and the difference is way less than cleaning a dirty window.

I would only buy triple now, they were not much more expensive than double glazed.

matt_outandabout

Not sure why you’d do that.

Solar gain.
    Triple has a negative impact on this.
    If you’re designing for passive tech gains at the shoulders of the year, it’s worth running the calculations over a year, with full geographical climate included.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Solar gain.
    Triple has a negative impact on this.

I’ve a vague memory of this but can’t remember the details – So you’re saying you get less solar gain via the 3g and that the benefit in terms of solar gain exceeds the impact of the lower insulation value?

I think I’d still have 3g for the higher glass temp on really cold days but as you say, worth running the calcs.

The weird thing you do get with 3g is condensation on the outside of the windows sometimes as not enough heat going out to warm the outer pane!

MrSmith
    Free Member

EThe weird thing you do get with 3g is condensation on the outside of the windows sometimes as not enough heat going out to warm the outer pane!

And you get no or very little condensation on the inside (if everything else is sound with the building)

ajc
    Free Member

I don’t buy the less solar gain thing. I designed and self built my passive house with triple glazed windows. Any extra solar gain in the short winter days through double glazing will be more than offset by the extra heat loss. As above comments it is great to be able to sit right next to the glass without feeling any chill off the glass.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Triple glazing’ is closed to new replies.