Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • triple clamp forks
  • scraprider
    Free Member

i have been looking 5for a set of forks , there seem to be loads of these type of forks , and a good few boxxers 130 / 170 mm travel, are they worth getting , use would be mainly haldon , dartmoor , the Qs, exmoor wales, not really any DH stuff, or is it a case of way ott for my type of riding, small drops / jumps i can do not the big stuff.not really worried about any extra weight issues. cheers.

kimbers

i guess some older boxxers may be going cheap as the 'must have' 2010s now have 36mm stanchions over 32mm
    they are still very nice forks with a small amount of flex, but if not for dh use then not really any worry for you

Taff
    Free Member

What frame have you got?

scraprider
    Free Member

2002 orange patrot frame, large.

Taff
    Free Member

Old school boxxers will be fine and quite nice on it then. You should be able to pick a decent set up for 100 – 150

wwaswas

get the lovely ruby metalic red ones.

I still miss my Judy race's for that reason.

jam-bo

overkill. totems/lyriks/36's will be just as capable and a lot lighter.

in fact I reckon my totems are stiffer than 32mm boxxers.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Yeah I'd say go for a set of 2006-2008 Fox 36's or RS Lyric – most likely the coil models (avoid the early 36 TALAS models!)

There's little point to a triple clamp unless you're really punishing the bike on a DH run and are going to notice the difference (and as said above some single crowns are stiffer than some dual crowns anyway!)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Some old marzocchi z1's with 150mm of travel would be ok on an old patriot, if you aint got the cash for fox's or rock shox

Taff
    Free Member

Sorry thought cost was an issue. If it is try and find the original candy red boxxers otherwsie a set of 39s or pace fighters or something of that ilk

scraprider
    Free Member

cheers all , will look around.budget of around 150.00 ish.

mikey74
    Free Member

Triple crown forks are a complete waste of time unless you are doing purely downhill or freeride. Any of the new single crown options, such as Fox 36s, Lyriks, Wotans etc would be far better.

What frame are you using? A triple crown fork may destroy your frame if it isn't designed for it, due to the increased leverage.

Even freeriders are slowly moving away from triple crown forks.

chakaping
    Free Member

On a budget of £150, I'd probably go for a Domain 318.

Good ones go for about that price.

It's a bombproof fork that performs nicely and suits the Patriot very well.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

I think dual crown trail forks would be an improvement, all the fore aft flex (on normal forks) has to be at the crown, surely..? I can see my pikes deflecting backwards on the trail (not a safe place to be looking while riding ;o) )

flamejob
    Free Member

It amazes me how people don't bother to read the thread and just bowl in 🙄

I'd do what chakaping suggested and try and get some Domains. They are long lasting, cheap, stiff and they work pretty well.

The problem with the Patriot and dual crown forks is the bump stops hit the frame quite easily as the frame is so wide at the front.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Is that at me? I did read the thread, honest, just thought I'd chuck my tuppence worth in. Sorry for going a bit off topic there then..

Some people have struggled out here with dual crowns getting round switchbacks.

flamejob
    Free Member

obbyheid
    Is that at me?

Naa.. others 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

I think all the replies have been relevant to the OP: The point being that TC forks are overkill for the type of riding the OP does and therefore it is pertinent to suggest other options.

I apologise for the question re: the type of frame, but I missed that reply when I was scrolling through.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Oh dear me, I must be being a bit over sensitive then.. Perhaps my time of the month or somesuch..

Massive hijack>

Flamejob, you want to ride tomorrow? I'm testing out a new (to me) route above Mijas, will be leaving from Fuengirola or can meet you at Mijas.. Send me an email if you fancy it. I'm off out to ride after a very lazy morning

Apologies for shanghaiing the thread..

cookeaa

32mm Boxxer user and fan here, mostly for budgetary reasons though…

I only use them for DH; mine are a 170mm travel, mish-mash of parts which could be called 04 teams, if you can get some 02 cherry reds for £150 then buy them, they seem to go for as much as double that though, mainly because they are talked up as one of the best DH forks ever and probably because they are far blingier, you'll make a profit if you flip em on…

Boxxers are DH forks and as already stated, pretty **** for most other things, set up properly they are relatively soft and a nightmare to climb with, but that’s not what a DH fork is for…

In terms of stiffness, they are on a par with any 32mm stanchion/20mm bolt through fork, pikes, various Bombers etc, stiffer than a QR fork with the inherent flex of 32mm legs which despite what some say isn’t bad at all…

Spares are cheap and moderately plentiful as they are now deeply unfashionable (except for the 02 model) and there are plenty of people who break them and flog them for spares (although the breakages should tell you something)…

If it’s for AM/allround use then forget Boxxers with the exception of the 05/06 Boxxer “ride”; the relatively rare U-turn model (125-170mm) which is an option but probably a good long way behind more current forks, if you can find one of the U-turn Domains they weigh about the same as a Boxxer (not that, that is light) but have the obvious advantage of being Single crown, with larger stanchions and a bit newer, other 2nd hand options might be Pikes or maybe one of the Marz’ 150mm AM offerings if you can find them…

scraprider
    Free Member

cheers guys, will look out for some 155mm marzas i think ,

davey_clayton
    Free Member

I had some boxxers on a freeride bike, which I had to pedal up hills sometimes (to get to the top). If I had to stand up, never mind the fork wallowing about, I was forever twatting my knees on the stanchions. That was a fairly short frame though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

150mm marzocchis from around 2005/2006/2007 are generally pretty cheap, work pretty well and last for ever. Just dont get the air ones with TST/ATA

cheshmatt
    Free Member

I haven't checked pricing, but I think they should be within your range – You could also have a look out for 2006 or 2007 Marz 66's, available in 150 & 170mm travel. They were the last really good 66s before the 'quality issues'

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘triple clamp forks’ is closed to new replies.