Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Trimming a neighbours bush!
  • pingu66
    Free Member

She lives alone after her husband left her and her bush is noticeably unruly
    so I am reaching out to the collective as to the correct etiquette when trimming a neighbours bush.

Is now overhangs our garden and is in dire need of cutting back. Sounds like a simple task but is the correct etiquette to return wood etc or is that overkill.

It is a garden shrub, no other type of bush involved, I am unaware of the state of any other type of bush.

Pigface
    Free Member

Just get some Brazilians around to help.

CaptainSlow

Talk to neighbour and explain you would like to trim bush.

You offer the prunings back but unless told yes, you dispose of them.

Simple. I’m sure she won’t mind you handling her bush and as she’s on her own, would probably appreciate a full bush trim rather than just tickiling the bit you fancy.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

It’s like being trapped in some godawful 70s sitcom.

twisty

Legally you can trim anything overhanging your fence-line as long as you return the off-cuts to their side of the fence.

But it is much better etiquette to chat to them and agree what you are going to do first, generally people appreciate you disposing of the trimmings instead.

Edric64
    Free Member

Mrs Slocombes pussy will get a mention in a minute

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

ask her?

pingu66
    Free Member

Mrs Slocombes pussy will get a mention in a minute

I believe it just has! 🙂

the-muffin-man

boblo
    Free Member

‘Reaching out’ = 47 demerits and a public flogging. Gah! :-[

rickmeister

Trimming her bush … offering her wood…

I don’t usually like double entendres, but I do like to slip one in every now and then….

“Reaching out” .. 300 demerit points, no pudding and application of poo crumbs

pingu66
    Free Member

“Reaching out” .. 300 demerit points, no pudding and application of poo crumbs

Noted I will use appropriate punishment after bush trimming!

Cougar

If you’re getting poo crumbs when bush trimming, you’ve probably cut it back a bit too far.

Still, crack on.

jekkyl

be careful if it’s been raining, I once tried to tackle a moist overgrown bush and it did not end well. 😕

perchypanther
    Free Member

Meke sure that you are using a decent tool. Maybe go round and show it to the neighbour first.

It’s always better to be overtooled when tackling the wild and unkempt bush.

qwerty
    Free Member

If the bush smells of fish it’s probably best to have a look around the back instead.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    If you’re getting poo crumbs when bush trimming, you’ve probably cut it back a bit too far.

Still, crack on.

Just be careful you don’t get the sack

theotherjonv

Just go cautious. There’s a tendency to overtrim bushes and leave them lacking in foliage, displaying all the underlying support structure instead which isn’t in my opinion a good look. You need to concentrate on reducing unkemptness and get rid of excessive overhang, but leave a nice covering which is more visually pleasing.

YMMV

rickmeister

Waxing lyrical, as a cunning linguist, you may be better with an oral solution initially before going hard at it. Check out options, slats, back doors etc etc…

Things done in the heat of the moment are often viewed differently the morning after…. however pleasurable they may have been…

wilko1999
    Free Member

Same problem here. Neighbours bush has grown so thick I’m having trouble pulling out in the morning. No matter how slowly I edge forward I just can’t see what’s coming. I’m having to just pull out as quickly as I can now and hope I don’t end up in a mangled mess whilst my wife looks on from the lounge window.

cranberry
    Free Member

As the bush is on the boarder and she doesn’t have a fella at home – if you can reach around her side and give her a hand with the bits she might otherwise have to do on her own she might be most grateful.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

OP – Be careful if you need to bend down to trim some of the neighbours bush, you don’t want to get impaled by some hard wood.

sandwicheater

Surprised no one has asked for photos of the unruly bush.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Front garden or Back?

DezB
    Free Member

MY neighbour’s back passage has some overgrowth impeding on my slightly untidy garden. Sometimes I just slip on a glove and push back. I think I may have to use a powered tool for a satisfying conclusion.

votchy
    Free Member

This has had me chuckling at my desk lol

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As the bush is on the boarder

You’re going to need to trim it during the school holidays.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

How old is the neighbour? Older ladies often have very overgrown bushes but are knowledgeable and happy to tell you what to do if you can do all the hard work.

cranberry
    Free Member

boarder

😳

rickmeister

If you do manage to achieve the unmentionable and trim her bush, when you withdraw keep an eye out for her enormous oversized rampant rabbit in the lady garden….

Heavy petting has been known to increase breathing due to the exertion involved…

pingu66
    Free Member

The neighbour isn’t elderly but there is a bit of an overhang and far from the first spring of youth as her husband left her I was just looking to do the decent thing and help her with trimming the bush. Albeit with an ulterior motive of satisfying my needs for a decent view of a tidy garden.

I will ask if she wants the wood or not and take on some of the above advice and see how it goes.

rascal
    Free Member

If you must take to her bush, make sure your trimming technique is smooth – don’t snatch at it.

theotherjonv

and be careful how you handle your tool; use appropriate PPE, you don’t want to end up with an infected gash.

tang
    Free Member

The only time I cut my cable was trimming the neighbors bush.

matt_outandabout

You lot clearly are *all* Swiss Tony, and I claim my £5

http://www.jokefile.co.uk/rich/swisstony.html

convert

You could just ask her for a shag?

Bush is back by the way …. so I’ve heard.

pingu66
    Free Member

You could just ask her for a shag?

Dear God

I only want to trim her bush to improve my enjoyment of my garden!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hence why you chose to wax lyrical about this here?

baronsamedi
    Free Member

Ask her if she has a friend who would like to watch you work, if you do a good job you will be trimming bushes all over the place.

nickdavies

Neighbours bush has grown so thick I’m having trouble pulling out in the morning… I’m having to just pull out as quickly as I can now and hope I don’t end up in a mangled mess whilst my wife looks on from the lounge window.

Friendly neighbours! 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Trimming a neighbours bush!’ is closed to new replies.