Trickstuff, err, stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Trickstuff, err, stuff.
  • Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

With that sort of lead time you could invest XT money now and have enough to pay for Trickstuff once they’re ready for delivery.

cokie

Well, with a brakes and a frame like that, what is the rest of the spec?
    Just interested in your choices and justification on the other components.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Already paid for…

Depending on how long I take to get back on the bike (currently in hospital with 2 ruddy great holes in my foot) i might well do that, but as thats going to be around xmas time (i reckon) anyway, i might just suck it up and wait for dry trails in the spring.

Or pilfer some from another bike, but faff…

@cokie

fox DPX2/36 factory Grip2 180mm

SC reserve30mm rims on King hubs (IF i can make the 135×10 axle into a 135×12. dunno what if not though)

king headset

150, maybe 170 if it will fit, reverb

Enve M7 bar/stem

intend seat clamp

DHF/DHR2 WT

saint clips or RF Altas flats depending on foot situation.

then carbon cranks for the GB once pinion get their act together and make some, and always on the hunt for a trigger shift option

essentially a greatest hits of companies whose kit I’ve used before and been really impressed by, plus shiny bits

cokie

Wow, can’t fault the spec! Sounds amazing.

Is this to replace the Nomad?

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Yep, thats now sold on

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

@raybanwomble looks like the maxima is going on Kickstarter in a few weeks, might be worth keeping an eye out…

I’m keeping my eye on the Maxima brake. It might be my first ever Kickstarter pledge if the price isn’t too astronomical. Sounds daft but I love the way the lever is braced against the bar. Such an obvious thing to do.

What we really need is for Hope to just make some brakes that are 100% more powerful. It can’t be that hard.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

It might be my first ever Kickstarter pledge if the price isn’t too astronomical

Dont bet on it. Apparently they make next to nothing on the direttissima, and the Maxima is limited run, almost special edition thing. Delivery expected to be April

I don’t expect them to be cheap. I expect the polar opposite. I know they’ll be by far the most expensive brakes I’ve ever had.

It’s just that, they could be very expensive, or the price could make me sick in my mouth.

Any sign of vomit and I’m out.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

MAXIMA

Kickstarter price of €990 a set. I really hope that means ‘pair’ (double checked, it is…)

Feeling queasy @sharkattack

Premier Icon moonsaballoon
    Subscriber

Fair play that is going to be some bike ! I really like the look of those deviate frames and i like the idea of the pinion gearbox assuming at some point you can get a trigger shifter . Make sure you put up plenty of pics once you have the bits and start building it up .

@raybanwomble looks like the maxima is going on Kickstarter in a few weeks, might be worth keeping an eye out…

Not sure I’m too bothered matey, by Trickstuffs own data, the only brake more powerful than my Code RSC’s are their brakes.

My Codes are crazy powerful now I’ve got a perfect bleed on them.

I may look at a set when they break.

For 990 euros I’d be expecting Brembo privateer style race support.

I’m not out yet. I’m just wondering what I’d do with them. They’re total overkill for my current bike. The whole thing might spiral into a new DH build.

For 990 euros I’d be expecting Brembo privateer style race support

I’m pretty sure they do offer race support but maybe you have to be in Germany.

Well, I don’t believe in the “too much brake” mantra – the more power the better for arm fatigue. A less fatigued rider is a safer rider. I don’t see why they shouldn’t go on a trail bike, especially as those batter you more on alpine descents than a DH bike does.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

I’m not out yet.

Me neither, tried asking them to change my order to them but no dice, though they will cancel my order for the Direttissima if I manage to get the Maxima, so fingers crossed.

I will then do all my riding in the form of a permanent stoppie.

Well, I don’t believe in the “too much brake” mantra – the more power the better for arm fatigue

Yeah I’m on the same page but I was in the Alps for a month this year riding nothing but downhill runs and I had less arm pump and less fatigue than ever before and that’s just with Hope E4’s. I’m certainly not a brake dragger. Especially when I’m just grinding through the slop in the Peak District.

The Maxima is perfectly suited to my imaginary G19 build that I’ve got going on. My main reservation is that I was going to have a break from bike nonsense and build a track car for 2019.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

build a track car for 2019.

I’m sure these will cope OK with that too.

tdog

I dunno why on earth you’d feel the need to pay that for them when you can pick up a set of TRP Quadiems or Hayes Dominions.

The cost of my G-Spec TRP Quads with braided hoses puts these Trickstuffs to shame.

Plus mine are full on Moto style/feel much like Brembo brakes as I know for motorcycles.

Anyway food for thought!

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

After seeing them in a brake test where they remained unrated as they’d broken the brakeforce tester that was perfectly happy with Codes, Saints, V4’s etc I went looking at them a while ago.  The not inconsiderable price stopped me faster than any brake but I do seem to recall the site was basically unusable on phone and even some laptop browsers.

I guess they figure their stuff is so good people will call them on the phone if it comes to it?

TRP Quadiems are the most disappointing brake I’ve ever tried. Probably because they look and feel so good. I was convinced it was my next brake until I did a few Pleney runs on a mates DH bike.

Yeah, they look mint and I love the lever but power levels were very underwhelming.

tdog

Praps the standard pads are not bitey enough whereas RaceMatrix and other metallic ones should be. Well that’s what I’ll find out soon off road at least

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Maxima campaign is live on kickstarter. I’m in 😀

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Anyone know what the maximum rotor size is that you can use on a 2019 Fox 36? Can I fit the 223mm rotor without being instantly killed to a fiery death?

Mbnut

Good stuff….   would love to join you….  Will review in January and see if I’m feeling reckless.

The brakes make up less than 10% of the total build cost 🤑

Intrigued whether it was your intention for that to sound as wankerish as it does….

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t?

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

They look nice and lovely machining but you’ll go faster if you don’t use them..

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

I’d burst out laughing if I saw these on an actual bike

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

5 days left on the kickstarter campaign, 78.5% funded. It’s an all or nothing deal so if anyone is umming and ahhing, now is the time.

Added bonus of making Howsyourdad’s day if you see him out on the trails….

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1894071550/trickstuff-maxima-hydraulic-bicycle-disc-brake/community

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I’d burst out laughing if I saw these on an actual bike

Yeah, I remember seeing them in STW with “Trickstuff” etched on them. Quite amusing I thought. A bit like Skoda “Superb” and SRAM “How-Damn-Cool” shifters.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

I love how one backer is from Basingstoke.

Premier Icon bedmaker
    Subscriber

I was going to go for the set of brakes at £990, but for only another £1010 I’d get dinner and a days riding.
    Why not eh – YOLO!

I’ve spent a fairly obscene amount on bikes over the past few years, but could always see the value in each purchase.
    These brakes are lovely, but I just can’t see any reason to buy them unless money is genuinely no object.
    I like that some kerazy German is doing it though!

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

$990 brakes… I’m genuinely glad that a bike company can make that work, bonkers/fair dues in equal measure.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Well, good enough for the Athertons I guess…

(Explains where all the money goes, and why the Kickstarter backers are waiting till April…)

Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

My biggest concern (other than price) is parts availablity. You don’t want to be waiting months for a replacement if you break a lever blade.

Premier Icon Rick Draper
    Subscriber

Well, good enough for the eBaythertons I guess…

Fixed that for you!

arogers

Well, good enough for the eBaythertons I guess…

Fixed that for you!

I don’t understand why this is such a big deal. Pretty much every pro sells off gear when a sponsorship deal ends and often before. I was offered a YT Mob team bike last year. I’ve seen a world cup top ten rider flog 30 boxed sets of Oakleys out of the back of his van. Every few days there’s a pro with priced gear on their instagram. Why is it only the Athertons who get hate for it?

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

12-13 years ago, I nearly bought Gee’s 8ish month old Giant DH team bike from him on eBay, but he wanted £1800 (to fund an MX bike) I only had £1500. Oh what might have been… *stares wistfully into the past*

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Urgh. Maxima’s are delayed by a month, till May. Issues with master cylinder production apparently. There goes my hopes of a pre-brexit (guaranteed import duty free) delivery.

Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

I’d suggest swapping you order for their ‘current’ Direttissima brakes, but even those say ‘can be shipped within 6 months’ on the website. I wouldn’t hold your breath…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.