Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Trickstuff, err, stuff.
  • tomhoward

So sat in my hospital bed I’m idly whiling away the hours speccing up my dream/next bike and am looking at braking duties.

Every grouptest seems to put the trickstuff diretissima as the best feeling/most powerful, just wondering if anyone has made the, not insignificant, investment in both £££ and time, as it’s seems there is a pretty lengthy lead time? Worth it? What’s the support like?

tdog
    Free Member

What kinda frame would you be fitting these to?

tomhoward

Deviate Guide, with 180mm forks.

tdog
    Free Member

Alrighty then! I’ve never heard of a Deviate Guide before. Sounds H’core.

In that case, have you considered the TRP Quadiems or the newest Hayes Dominions?

They both look suitable and with spares easier to get hold of no doubt at more down to Earth prices.

Metal food for thought 😜

tdog
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I have heard / seen if it. Just forgot until google jogged my memory

tomhoward

Backup/default option will be saints or new 4pot XTR, and will take a fair amount of convincing away, especially to Hayes… but the trickstuff piqued my interest. Because shiny.

Mbnut
    Free Member

I am very interested in this.

Thinking I might make the leap but would so love to try some first!

tdog
    Free Member

Anyone for to be guineapigs 😜😂

tomhoward

Looks that way doesn’t it! With a bit of luck I’ll get some funds together pretty soon and get this beast (and it will be) built!

tdog
    Free Member

Amen to that ! 🙏

👍

davosaurusrex

They look awesome, I’d love a set but no way I can afford them. Do the decent thing and get them bought so we can all live vicariously through you!

tomhoward

Does anyone know how you actually buy them? Tried direct on the website, but you can’t seem to specify front or rear, and (almost more importantly) what colour options you want? I’d rather not chuck £750 at a mystery box

Some other german resellers have them, but it seems to be a ‘get what you are given/what we have in stock’ type deal?

Doesn’t appear to be a UK disti…

tdog
    Free Member

How BLOODY much!!????

that is truly shocking, how very dare they. It’s not like they are made outta ti and then welded together plus are they even tried and tested in the real world.

and I’m not talking magzine tests 🙄

tdog
    Free Member

How BLOODY much!!????

that is truly shocking, how very dare they. It’s not like they are made outta ti and then welded together plus are they even tried and tested in the real world.

and I’m not talking magzine tests 🙄

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Yeah they don’t seem the easiest to get hold of.

When I was looking at them it sort of appeared that even the German shops who ‘stock’ them always had them listed as 5-7 days for dispatch suggesting they just order from Trickstuff after they receive the customer order?

They list various colours and front/rear specific here: https://r2-bike.com/TRICKSTUFF-Disc-Brake-Direttissima-separately-Frontwheel-Brake-red

tomhoward

Even r2 bike say you have to have everything the same colour, rather than say, silver lever bodies and calipers, black res caps, levers and hoses.

more searching on the site gives poshbikes.com as the UK dealer, so I’ve dropped them an email.

breadcrumb

£750

Makes Hope brakes look cheap!

tomhoward

Makes Hope brakes look cheap!

Its all a matter of perspective. The brakes make up less than 10% of the total build cost 🤑

Northwind

If it’s hard to track down the parts to buy in the first place, how hard will it be to source replacement and service parts? There’s not a brake in the world that’s good enough to justify downtime if you burst a lever.

tomhoward

I figure once I have a contact somewhere, anywhere…. they should be able to help with spares.

I’ve enough bikes and kit to cover any downtime, so not really a worry.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

So sat in my hospital bed I’m idly whiling away the hours speccing up my dream/next bike and am looking at braking duties.

Every grouptest seems to put the trickstuff diretissima as the best feeling/most powerful, just wondering if anyone has made the, not insignificant, investment in both £££ and time, as it’s seems there is a pretty lengthy lead time? Worth it? What’s the support like?

Trickstuff are claiming their even more powerful Maxima brake is 23 percent more powerful than a Code and 43 percent more powerful than a V4.

Which is a bit of a surprise to me, as that seems to undermine the third party tests that indicate that the diretissima is something like 50 percent more powerful than a Code.

The Maxima looks to be designed and built to a spec that you only see on track based Motorcycles and cars – a level above most stuff you get in MTB. 280g per brake, with a heavy braided steel hoseline is nothing to sniff at either. I’d run a set if I could guarantee parts availability and keep them running for a decade like you can with Hopes, as they make my Codes look like toys.

tomhoward

They are marketing the maxima as a DH race brake though. Not sure I need that level of grunt.

plus, isn’t it just a lever that you plug into the direttissima calliper? So could always try it if the standard ones are lacking 😂

raybanwomble
    Free Member

No, the pistons are bigger on the Maxima.

I’d go with as powerful brakes as I could, I got significantly less arm pump with my Codes out in the Alps than I got when running Deores. The extra stopping power kept my arms feel less fatigued throughout the day.

tomhoward

Ah right, will give them a miss then. I’m not going to need that much power, lest I double in weight…

A quick google seems to indicate they aren’t available either, unless your surname is ‘Hannah’

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Dunno man, I’m now a big believer in having as much stopping power as possible. It just keeps you fresher for all day riding. Even if it doesn’t translate to shorter stopping distances because you overwhelm the tyre, it translates to having to use less effort.

They’ll get release at some point I guess.

stevied
    Free Member

Formula Cura 4 coming out in a couple of weeks. Quite a few pairs on show this weekend at the WC DH.

epicyclo

tomhoward

…A quick google seems to indicate they aren’t available either, unless your surname is ‘Hannah’

If I was still living in Cairns I could pop round the corner and see if there was spare set attached to the training bike. 🙂

tomhoward

BollocksBollocksBollocks!!!!!

Found out how to order, am placing order. Forgotten paypal password! (or, rather, changed it, then forgot it)

(There is an option to do an IBAN transfer, but it’ll cost a fortune)

Paypal email is my work email. won’t be able to access that till tomorrow evening earliest.

BollocksBollocksBollocks!!!!

Happier news, I have managed to order something from the man with the best name in the bike industry, Cornelius Kapfinger 😀

(Not a fork, sorry…)

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Let us know what you think Tom, by all accounts they are still going to be more powerful than my Codes or a set of Zees.

tomhoward

yeah will do, obvs not had anything official, but reckon it’s at least an 8 week lead time. (the website says ‘Will ship within 6 months’ so, promising…)

Good job I’m off the bike at the moment :-/

Mbnut
    Free Member

Would you like me to bed them in for you?

tomhoward

Would you like me to bed them in for you?

Maybe, got any daughters you need bedding in?

😉

Mbnut
    Free Member

18 year old son….   damn it!!!

thered

This entire thread is mental, utterly mental, Tom just buy some XT’s and give 10% of what you save to charity. 😀

However the last 3 posts are hilarious.

tomhoward

Tom just buy some XT’s and give 10% of what you save to charity

Too late.

Rest easy though, I have just given a big chunk as part of my wedding favours.This purchase is to make me feel better for having to be in hospital, instead of on honeymoon, at the minute xx

tomhoward

Well, as there was no projected shipping date on the order receipt etc, i dropped them a mail to find out a rough idea of delivery time/shipping dates.

‘should be around March 19’ was the response.

So there we are. Can’t say I wasn’t warned…

Cookie Monster Waiting GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

joebristol

That’s ludicrous.

tomhoward

I assume its because the metal is formed, then mined, to order

stevied
    Free Member

I trust you went for the titanium screw and Goodridge hose upgrade too?

tomhoward

went Goodridge, not Ti option though, partly as i couldn’t work out how to order it/couldnt see it as an option… the site really is awful

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Trickstuff, err, stuff.’ is closed to new replies.