Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Trick or treat – Anybody else eating more sweets than they are handing out?
  • Vortexracing

well are you?

I’m all tangfantasticed out 😳

ton

is steak n chips classed as sweets?

Dancake
    Free Member

I have eaten so many mini mars bars … maybe one more?

Vortexracing

in yorkshire, yes 😉

I suppose I could try black pudding or Tripe for them next year. 😆

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I got some treats in, giving a few away, but now turned the lights out so don’t have to give any more away, 😈 so tomorrow I feel less guilty when I eat them, with “oh well shame to bin them…” 😆

nmdbase
    Free Member

We had trick or treaters for the first time in 5 years

ton

we have had 7 groups so far.
    running out of haribo…………walkers crisps might haved to be used if they keep coming.

Edric64
    Free Member

Luckily I live nowhere near any kids and am not subjected to a barrage of brats demanding goods with threats

mangoridebike

Just been out with my two, loads of other kids out and about. Its our first year doing it and I’ve been amazed at the effort people have gone to, houses decorated, everyone invited in to bob for apples or find sweets hidden in gloop or similar. Also every has been super generous, I was expecting maybe a sweet or piece of fruit from each house, instead handfuls were dropped into bags, it was amazing. We’ll definitely be putting more effort into our house next year!

Vortexracing

Luckily I live nowhere near any kids and am not subjected to a barrage of brats demanding goods with threats

Thats a bit miserable Edric

emsz
    Free Member

didn’t have to humiliate myself taking little brov around which was good, but didn’t get to help myself to his horde either.

used to able to beat him up, I’m not sure I’d get away with that now either 😆

midlifecrashes

Just back in here too, kids have a bumper haul. Loads more getting into the spirit of the thing. Neighbours handing out nice hot chocolate drinks to everyone going round and another gave me a very nice glass of red. It is much warmer than usual, might make a difference.

Edric: Bah humbug, or the halloween equivalent.

molgrips
    Free Member

In our house we are handing out roasted chickpeas instead.

warton
    Free Member

haven’t had a chance, all gone in a flash. gutted,

taxi25
    Free Member

In our house we are handing out roasted chickpeas instead.

Makes mental note not to call at molegrips house with kids 😉

monkey_boy
    Free Member

PMSL i feel sick, just had 7 mini bags of harabo multipack…

Vortexracing

your supposed to hand at least some them out Monkey boy, not keep them all to yourself 🙄

rickmeister

Loaded up next doors kids with all sorts of sugar / additive laced children’s food items…. the little cherubs will be off their merry heads by bedtime, bless their little jim-jams. he he he…

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve had one pair of kids come so far, that kilo box of chocolates is looking tempting and full, might pretend I’m out.

Although “happy halloween”, what’s that about?

dan1980
    Free Member

All the lights in the front of my house are off and I’m ignoring the knocks at the door.

Bah humbug and all that, it’s leaglised begging is what it is etc etc… 😈

I’m just grumpy and being a miserable git.

nich3000
    Free Member

We had loads of the little blighters, all saying “Trick or treat!”. When asked for a trick they stared blankly and made a dive for the sugar snacks instead. In my day we had to at least tell a joke. *tuts*

Although “happy halloween”, what’s that about?

The Americanisation continues I feel.

Vortexracing

We still have a load of jelly babies and Haribos left.

This is doing my diet no good at all 🙁

mamadirt
    Free Member

I feel sick now . . . do you think beer will help 😕 . We have had quite a few callers, all dressed up, fair play . . . but nothing since about 8 o’ clock (when I switched all the lights out) and it was a shame to waste them 😈

iainc

good haul for my 2 tonite !

Vortexracing

Bloody hell Iainc, that lot should keep em ‘buzzin’ for days and yes mama I think beer will help

mamadirt
    Free Member

Cheers Vortex 😀

Vortexracing

‘Bottoms up’ MamaD 😆

OmarLittle
    Free Member

No-one came round tonight so all my halloween stocks are untouched, yaaaas

Although this is actually the second load of munchies i bought, i had to go out for more today because i ate them all at the weekend. Counting it up i reckon i broke the 10000 calorie mark yesterday!

richwales

My kids were given a box of after 8s by one house. Not sure if it was a trick or treat.

molgrips
    Free Member

We had a few, but most seemed really quite fed up with the whole thing. Some said nothing, some just mumbled trick or treat. Come on, look like your enjoying it! Don’t make me resent giving you sweets.

The only ones who looked like they were having fun were about 13.

aracer
    Free Member

Just back in here too, kids have a bumper haul. Loads more getting into the spirit of the thing. Neighbours handing out nice hot chocolate drinks to everyone going round and another gave me a very nice glass of red.

Seems to be getting a real momentum round here, with some people making a lot of effort into decorating – even the kids seem to be far more excited by that (and the dressing up) than getting a load of sweets. Though to be fair it’s actually still a minority of houses taking part (round here it’s all very friendly and middle class – if the house doesn’t have a pumpkin or some other obvious decoration out you don’t knock). We live on an isolated housing estate in a village, a mile or so from anywhere else, but people seem to have caught on that it’s easy pickings – huge numbers of people out (far more than live here I’m sure), and all the sweets gone well before the end of the evening, so no hope of hanging on to any for ourselves they were going so quick.

Was somewhat disappointed though that the chap who works for the local brewery wasn’t handing out free beer (nice decorations though).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Seen a fair few groups of parents and little uns out tonight (not too sure about the appropriateness of some of the ‘sexy witch/zombie’ costumes on some of the mums though…. 😮 ); the kids love it, dun’t they?

No harm in it if done like that I reckon. Just a bit of fun. If something brings people pleasure and joy, don’t knock it, I say.

I went out though, so din’t have to suffer owt. 😉

Bagstard
    Free Member

I think there should be some kind of trick or treat code, like dogging.
    Banging on a strangers door waking up their dog which in turn wakes up their teething baby they just got to sleep is about as welcome as a stranger sticking their bits through your window, when you only stopped to read a map… and breathe. 🙁

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think there should be some kind of trick or treat code, like dogging.

Isn’t that what the pumpkin lanterns are for?

Still surprises me at the number of educated people who want to send their kids out to knock on strangers doors so that they can stuff their little (possibly chubby) faces with sugar later that evening.

Bagstard
    Free Member

No lantern at my house, no lights on, no car on the drive, but still they come.

Cougar

Not had any this year. Normally they start some time mid September.

TBH, I’ve never really liked the ethos behind “trick or treat,” I can see where Edric’s coming from. I’m quite happy for kids to dress up and go to door showing off their costumes, I expect the whole ‘spooky’ thing is a lot of fun. It’s the whole “oi mister, give us some sweets or we’ll do something nasty to you” concept that I have difficulties with, I don’t think it’s the greatest life lesson to be teaching kids. Maybe if it was repackaged as “the spirits will haunt you” or something, rather than “we’ll put your windows through.”

yetidave
    Free Member

first lot at the door were subject to my yongest throwing up on their feet. trick or treat indeed.

mudshark
    Free Member

Never had any (Surrey village); maybe it’s mostly estate kids that do this sort of thing? Are kids more into computer games than sweets these days?

aracer
    Free Member

Still surprises me at the number of educated people who want to send their kids out to knock on strangers doors so that they can stuff their little (possibly chubby) faces with sugar later that evening

Is it OK if my kids are skinny (very few chubby kids round here) and not really interested in eating the sweets when they get home? But don’t let the facts get in the way!

I’ve never really liked the ethos behind “trick or treat,” I can see where Edric’s coming from. I’m quite happy for kids to dress up and go to door showing off their costumes, I expect the whole ‘spooky’ thing is a lot of fun. It’s the whole “oi mister, give us some sweets or we’ll do something nasty to you” concept that I have difficulties with,

Except there isn’t any of that round here – it is just about the dressing up and decorating – with some people having some really cool scary stuff – one house had a “haunted house” bit at the side the little kids were going in and running out because they were too scared (the brave ones were really loving that and kept going back for more!) I appreciate it’s not like this everywhere from the tales I here, but like everything it’s what you make of it – so many people out here (including lots of adults with little kids), nobody would get away with putting windows in if the sort who do that sort of thing did turn up. Then again, have you actually got direct evidence of that, or is it just “something which happens”?

Bagstard – down our local leisure centre I spotted “no trick or treat” cards to put in your window – or you could always make one yourself (I saw a couple of home-made signs on doors).

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Trick or treat – Anybody else eating more sweets than they are handing out?’ is closed to new replies.