Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Triban 5, Rear derailleur not fitting properly. Help needed asap.
  • dandax1990
    Free Member

Needing some help with a problem I’m having whilst working on a friends bike.

I can’t get the rear derailleur, Shimano Sora, to fit properly. There seems to be a notch where the derailleur mounts that is there so it sits flush with the drop-out but I can’t get it to fit properly. The limit screw, which is fully undone, is in the way.

What am I doing wrong?

cbike
    Free Member

Just checked My T5 It looks exactly the same and shifts perfectly. I suspect nothing is wrong. I also have a wee gap on the bracket where your arrow is.

The two shimano’s in the hoose don’t have a wee gap.

kilo

my 3 looks the same also

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dandax1990
    Free Member

As it is, the rear wheel won’t come out of the drop-out?

cbike
    Free Member

Have you expanded the brake caliper quick release? or tweeked them in too far for them to work. I have made this mistake already. The brake blocks will trap the wheel giving the impression the dropout is knacked.

Loads of knowledge here too if you get stuck http://triban3owners.freeforums.net/

dandax1990
    Free Member

Cheers cbike, I’ve given up for today and gonna sort it tomorrow but hoping that is the issue. Just didn’t seem right how the rear derailleur is sat.

Gonna be a pain in the arse sorting the Crud Roadracer mudguards out too.

Never doing work on a friends bike again, ever. Road over 2000 miles without cleaning or servicing it once and he’s been using some horrible grease that we use at work for our machines, The chain is pretty much solid, no wonder he was having issues with the gears shifting! I’ve road my mtb through local woods every day and not cleaned it for a couple of months and wasn’t this bad lol.

kilo

If it’s not had much love it could just be the qr being stiff even with the lever open, people tend not to grease the skewer inside the axle so this could be binding a bit, the simple answer slacken the qr right off and give the wheel a good slap down

takisawa2

My TriBan3…

IMAG1930 by pten2106, on Flickr

IMAG1929 by pten2106, on Flickr

dandax1990
    Free Member

Nope still no joy, It’s not the brakes stopping it drop dropping out but the rear derailleur.

dandax1990
    Free Member

dandax1990
    Free Member

wwaswas

just take the end off the QR.

I’ve got MTB’s where you have to do this.

ahwiles
    Free Member

hang on, that’s not a limit screw, that’the B-tension screw…

why’s it screwed out?

dandax1990
    Free Member

I screwed it all the way out to see if it could fit properly if screwed out.

That’s an option was but it’s not my bike and it’s obviously not right?

dandax1990
    Free Member

The wheel dropped out fine when I first took it off.

wwaswas

That’s an option was but it’s not my bike and it’s obviously not right?

was that about taking the end off the QR?

it’s perfectly alright, there’s nothing wrong with the frame or mech.

a quick thump on the top of the wheel will sometimes shift a QR nut past the mech if you’re in a hurry.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have to remove my QR to get the rear wheel out of my T5….

dandax1990
    Free Member

I’ve tried knocking it was and didn’t budge.

Fair enough but still cant work why it dropped out fine before and now it wont budge.

The rear mech doesn’t seem right to me.

wwaswas

Fair enough but still cant work why it dropped out fine before and now it wont budge.

maybe you undid the QR more and the nut was shifted further across to the drive side so that it cleared the raised bit of the mech where it meets the frame?

You won’t have to undo it much as the mech mount bit is slightly conical.

The rear mech is fine.

ahwiles
    Free Member

dandax1990 – Member

The rear mech doesn’t seem right to me.

try screwing the B-tension back in…

dandax1990
    Free Member

I only unscrewed it to see if the rear derailleur would sit better regarding the notch lining up with the drop-out.

ahwiles
    Free Member

but is it back in?

is it just me, or is anyone else a little confused as to what the problem is?

😕

globalti
    Free Member

The problem is that the chainstays are quite short and if you fit a deeper tyre than the Btwin garbage that comes on it, the tyre comes up against the chainstay bridge preventing the wheel from moving far enough forwards for the QR to clear the derailleur, as shown in the pics above.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Triban 5, Rear derailleur not fitting properly. Help needed asap.’ is closed to new replies.