Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Triathletes – thermal or non thermal wetsuit?
  • nickdavies

Right – bit different but Stw is the font of all knowledge.

Getting into triathlon and just ordered a wetsuit. Found what I wanted at a good price in my size, Huub aegis II but I didn’t realise until after I’d tried it on it was a thermal suit, I’d missed that in the listing.

Now despite lots of googling and I have phoned Huub but it wasn’t that helpful, I’m none the wiser on the practical difference between Thermal and non. Anybody have any advice on if it’s just going to cook me? Nothing really says what temperatures for each suit. Huub said it was also more restrictive but it feels fine.

Do fancy a couple of the colder tri’s, Slateman being one where the water is 12deg but I can’t afford two of these… or to get the wrong one!

jam-bo

No idea about triathlon suits but the warmth of a surfing wetsuit is a function of thickness and how well sealed the seams are.

A sealed 3mm suit will be warmer than a blindstitched 5mm suit.

Onzadog
    Free Member

12℃ water temp isn’t cold enough for a thermal wetsuit. You’ll get used to open water swimming being a bit cooler to the point where your local indoor pool will feel like getting in the bath.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

As stated above, you don’t need a thermal one.

I’ve done a fair number of middle to long distance tris in water around that temperature, where you’re in the water for some time and have never found it a problem in a standard thickiness tri wetsuit.

JP

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve done a few tris including Slateman, the year that the water was so cold they halved the swim distance!

A quick look on Huub shows two versions of the aegis 2. A standard, and a thermal for the colder tris such as Norseman.

If you are doing “normal” tris in the UK I’d say don’t need or want the argos 2 thermal.

A standard suit is what you want.

I use a Blue Seventy Sprint wetsuit which was about £110 a few years ago.

nickdavies

Back it goes then, bugger.

Thanks all.

windydave13
    Free Member

Sportpursuit have some HUUB and 2XS wetsuits on sale, but not sure if they are the thermal ones or not.

When i was dabbling in the world of tri’s, i picked up a speedo one for a little over £100 from what was Royals in wilmslow. Its done me proud on sea swims, lochs, rivers, lakes etc even in May.

If you’re cold, swim faster  🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Triathletes – thermal or non thermal wetsuit?’ is closed to new replies.