Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Trials Bike Rebuild: Best options.
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

Going down the stronger cheaper route this time.

Building around a 853 Ryan Leech with Project 2’s.
    Swapping out the GXP cack BB, probably for square taper. Going to run SS ’til I have funds for short range cassette/ derailleur/shifter.

Any trials folk recommend a headset, BB,cranks and front hub to choose?

Cheapish, strongish.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Bumping for help.

somouk
    Free Member

All my trials friends seem to use FSA Pig headsets. BB will depend on the cranks really but I’d be going for multi splined as opposed to square taper considering the power transfer.

Front hub is dependant on wheels, not really a problem, most I know ride Hope Pro 2s.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    isitafox
    Free Member

Give Tartybikes a ring, they’ll sort you out though by the sounds of it you’re going for an oldskool build. Up front you’d be better off with a Hope XC as you can tap the axle to take some M6 bolts which will hold it a hell of a lot better than a skewer does.
    Cranks will depend on budget and what kind of gear ratio you’re going for? What rear hub have you got?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Good idea with the M6’s there…

Rear hub ATM is an old sun ringle 6 bolt, brakeless.

I’m a full time singlespeeder so probably do 24/12 on this.

By “trials” I mean “bike parkour” so for every pivot & manual, there’s stair sets and flat drops too.

I just want to get out on it in the summer!

FSA oversized headset bought.

HansRey

Just finished the build above, with a similar intention to the OP i suppose. Spec below..

Frame: GT Hans Rey 05
    Wheels: Hope xc front on mavic rims, hope proII evo rear on mavic 721
    Brakes: HS33
    Drivetrain: Zee m640. Cheap on merlin.

If you’re running it geared, the zee stuff is great VFM. I tried running this single speed in various guises, but i could never get it sweet. This now feels pretty good, if a little odd looking.

About the front hub, well it’s what i had spare 🙂 The tyres are going to be swapped for something like a DMR Moto

isitafox
    Free Member

Ah streety street trials. Here’s my current street bike for fast flowy type manoeuvres!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

The one on front.

Mmmm. 85threeeeeee

Isitafox… What is that? It’s a beautiful ninja

slugrider
    Free Member

Square taper rs7 cranks are awesome, period for the bike and indestructible.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Rs7 quite pricey. It just needs to be up and running pronto, I can save for the ultra build when I figure out how to drop 10 steps without popping a spoke.

Running front hydraulic brake only for various reasons, Sun’s out…. Need street.

slugrider
    Free Member

You should be able to pick up some rs7s with ring and a bas for thirty five, forty quid. I’ve bought and sold a few.

isitafox
    Free Member

It’s only a cheap Because Street 24″ frame, got it for £40 cause the disc mount had snapped so got a temp fix on until I can either afford another Inspired or get a custom steel frame built up.
    This is my proper trials bike which I am in love with after an awful few months of stuff going wrong!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

That is a proper trials bike. Not for me.

I love what I do on it. I broke it. But it cost 300 and I would’ve paid that for the frame Andy fork so I reckon it has 2 builds in it: This second “get really good” build Amd then the “ultra build”.

Frame and fork mean alot.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Trials Bike Rebuild: Best options.’ is closed to new replies.