Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Trendy “work boots”
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

I am both a wearer and a payer and I have had a pair of £30 rigger boots from Arco for years.

Riggers are normally specifically exluded from permissable on site nowadays aren’t they?!

Kuco

It was argued riggers offer no ankle support that’s why my work placed banned them. I use to be on our health and safety workgroup and argued a lot of modern riggers have ankle support built in and most of the workers wear wellingtons and waders all day with no ankle support but that was okay.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Love my William Lennon’s, not a bad price for handmade quality.
    They also do their Rufflander range which are more work environment centred and great value.

Rufflander Safety Boots from William Lennon & Co

perchypanther
    Free Member

Riggers are normally specifically exluded from permissable on site nowadays aren’t they

Depends on individual company policies.

I prefer riggers for some jobs as I often have to change from dress shoes out of the boot of the car for short visits to sites and they’re easier  and the keep my trousers clean

If I’m on site for a longer period or doing a lot of walking I keep lace up boots in the car too.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Wow, forgot about this thread.

I’m in Australia so prices are in AUD for me.

I’ve got a couple of pairs of Magnum boots but I don’t believe their quality is the same as their older kit. I guess price vs longevity?

I’m not keen on anything goretex or waterproof as I just don’t need it. I find my feet still sweat in Goretex boots even with their supposed breath-ability.

Current boots are Under Armour Valsetz which are super comfy and holding out well, I just fancied something that looked a little smarter but still decent quality and the idea of a boot that can be resoled appeals.

As a lot of things, prices tend to be much higher for us Aussies. I’ll hve a prper read of the thread when I’m home. Ta.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Dunno, but I did once spend a lot of money on a pair of shoes, and

a) I’ve worn them nearly every day for 3 years and they still look like new
    b) Every cheap shoe I pick up and try to like feels like shite
    c) I want another pair

epicyclo

cromollyolly
    Surely no discussion if trendy work boots can be complete without someone bringing up blundstones? The original* made in Australia** work boot.

Another vote for Blundies.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I have size 13 feet. Have you ever tried on some blundies? Yeah, Nah.

plyphon
    Free Member

Redwings are great boots, really nice leather that breaks in fantastically.

But their sizing is a nightmare. The Moc toes are super narrow, I couldn’t get a pair to fit that wasnt super long as I had to size up for the width.

The round toe boots fit me much better, but they don’t seem to have much room in the toebox.

I’m looking for a replacement brand with similar style and quality but there doesn’t seem to be much out there.

I got a pair of Fracap’s recently for this winter and they are very comfortable indeed, but they’re hiker styled boots rather than workwear inspired.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Another vote for Blundies.

I think we are supposed to be boycotting blundstones to support our antipodean cousins due to off shoring .

Yes but not with size 13 feet. Do they not come in big sizes? Redbacks are a more generous fit, try those. Not sure where Rossi fit, size wise.

Kuco

I’ve just got some Wolverine goretex work boots. Seem pretty comfy so far.

maccruiskeen

I’ve got size 13 feet and a pair of Blundstones.

finishthat
    Free Member

Nobody has commented on the Whites or Nicks boots from the US yet – hand made to your size , no steel toe caps ??

squirrelking
    Free Member

We have Redwing coveralls at work, not bad longevity wise so far but definitely not made in America unless Pakistan has suddenly become a new state? Sizing is all over the place and the cut isn’t great.

For boots I’m trying Sievi’s, was sick of the Himalayan crap constantly splitting on the soles or whelks. Yet to find anything that claims to be chemically resistant and doesn’t fall apart as soon as it sees FRF.

If you consider Timberlands to be ‘trendy’, Screwfix have the Sawhorse steely’s at £55. I’m wearing a pair at the moment. Comfy and don’t look much different to the ‘proper’ ones costing £170

timber

Had some Gronell, two sets, but quite pricey and no waterproof linings, just leather. A really wet winter and boots shrinking to my feet was the end for them. Nice boots in all other situations. Waterproof is priority now and replace as often as required.
    Lot of the chainsaw boots I’ve had, with the exception of Arbortec, have been comfy and long lasting so could be brands worth checking for regular work boots. They’ll be pricey, but cheaper than the chainsaw versions.

Kuco

I never had issues with Arbortec boots and find their waterproofness to be excellent.

timber

Leather (not stitching) ripped on my Arbortec after 3 weeks and the sole fell off my colleagues pair after 4 weeks. Admittedly about 5years ago, they may have improved. Husqvarna Technical is current boot of choice.

I always go for Cofra for proper work boots

aphex_2k
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

Subscriber

I’ve got size 13 feet and a pair of Blundstones.

They look ridiculous on me. And there a bit too….. “safety boot” than smart-long-lasting-sole-replaceable-boot-for-work. May as well wear wellies!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Perhaps I should clarify…. I’m after boots for wearing to work, not workboots for working on an offshore rig!

(Community mental health nurse, in and out of the office, driving, client’s houses, hospital etc)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

whelks

If you have those in your shoes, you’re spending too much time offshore!

drlex
    Free Member

If you’re in Australia, how about RM Williams? Or are they considered a dress boot?

epicyclo

I found RM Williams to be very narrow fit, and couldn’t get a comfortable fit. Probably ok if you spend a day on a horse rather than on your feet.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Holy Thread revival, Batman!

Never one to rush into things…. I just ordered a pair of Rossi boots last night. It’s winter here now and my Magnums are a bit leaky now, and my UA Valsetz have (after a couple of years use) started to fall apart.

Anyway, these Rossi boots – family owned and over 100 years old. One of only a few bootmakers who still make them in Aus. Supplied over 100,000 pairs of boots to Ozzie troops in WWII. Reasonably priced too compared to some.

lambchop
    Free Member

I had ummmed and arrred for years about getting a pair of Redwing Moc Toes and finally bought some in February. Visited the London store and got fitted. Nervously shelled out £250 for a pair of boots. The most expensive shoes I’d ever bought. However after a couple of days break in they rapidly turned super comfy. I wear them all the time when not at work. They really are superb.

mooman
    Free Member

I got a new pair of nubuk/crazy horse style DMs … trendy for my line of work😎

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

blundstones? The original* made in Australia** work boot.

I bought a pair when i was in Australia in the early 90’s and they were a bargain – a genuinely cheap pair of boots. Nothing special about them – pretty crappy sole, simply made but good value.

Now sold as a fashion boot in the UK at £140 on the official site. They’re a shit pair of boots for that money.

“Occupational” DMs are good value. Pretty much indistinguishable from the fashion version but cheaper….

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The ones you got do look good.

I bought a pair out of Lidl for £15. Steel toe, waterproof, oil resistant sole etc. Look like the shoe version of NHS specs though

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Now sold as a fashion boot in the UK at £140 on the official site. They’re a shit pair of boots for that money.

Hence the *

Redbacks and Rossi aren’t all that expensive and I’ve heard from a few people that the Rossi people are really good to deal with plus they are made on-shore. Blundstones had huge problems with the sokes disintegrating when they first switched to off-shore manufacturing.

All three made fully compliant safety boots though.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Rossi have been excellent at answering my q’s, even replying at random times on their Instagram. I wasn’t sure whether to size down as lots of work-style boots seem to be made bigger for some reason. Anyway there was a measurement guideline on their site and size 13 seemed to be correct. They said they don’t really stretch / give once worn in but did suggest I bought their boot wax and give them a good going over when I get them. Was tempted with the brown ones but the missus said the greeny coloured ones looked better.

Will no doubt be putting up a “what socks” thread as long as no-one suggests the 5p socks from Brant!

kiwijohn

They look alright.
    I’ve a mate who works at Blundstone as a designer who gives me boots to try*. Hasn’t made anything that will last a whole year in a winery yet, though the Boa version is pretty good.
    * Proper work boots, not the trendy ones.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah I think what I meant by “trendy” work boots, was ACTUAL work boots which are built to last, which seem to have been adopted by the bun-wearing double-shot soy latte brigade – hence the high prices.

I’m for good quality, solid and comfy footwear that lasts. I spent a bit of time last night cleaning up my Magnums. Put new insoles in and new laces. Considering I got them when I was around 16 (these boots are 27 years old now) I’ve worn them at TA when in the UK, for fishing trips, hiking, and on the secure wards at work. Had them on all day today. Not only super comfy with the new insoles, but even got a “hey, nice boots” comment. Still holding up. That 80 quid I spent back then (probably less than that actually) has gone a long way!

I did order a pair of boots (while a little drunk) which looked nice and were well priced – a bit smarter but still work-styled. Anyway they turned up, look great. Then I realised they weren’t leather, which for a sweaty footed monster like me, just no good. Shame cos they look alright.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Blundstones had huge problems with the sokes disintegrating when they first switched to off-shore manufacturing.

Indeed. I must have bought another pair around that time and a few years old with very little wear the sole simply fell apart. To their credit, Blundstone did send me a replacement pair (eventually, from Oz) and those are lasting well.

captaindanger

Solovair or DMs, DM are basically cheap Chinese versions of solovair. They’re very comfortable.

mrmoofo

Dickies have a good range …

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ah balls.

I ordered a 13 as per the size guide on their site. The 13s turned up but they feel too roomy in the toe box, and can only imagine they will give/stretch more once they’ve been worn in. Annoyed as I specifically asked if I should size down.

So my 2 options are – send them back and get the 12s (this means sending my pair to the other side of Aus and waiting another week or two to get the replacement correct size). Or…. I’ve read about soaking to the boot, wearing them with wet socks and allowing the leather to shrink/mould around the foot so it’s a bit more “fitted” to my individual feet. I’m not so sure and I guess the risk there is utterly ruining the boots.

I kind of know the right answer but also worried that the size down might be TOO small and they don’t do halves. I could always get thicker insoles and chunkier socks but hey, it’s Australia and I don’t want to bake from the feet upwards.

Send them back and hope the 12s are better fitting, is the right answer isn’t it?

maccruiskeen

Well.. you wanted a pair of boots that will last…. if you have a pair that don’t fit you very well you won’t wear them and they’ll last for ages. 🙂

I’ve got a pair of Scarpa Mojitos in the wardrobe that are 6 years old and still look practically brand new! 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Boom boom

Yeah tried them on properly. Too big. 12s will be better. Will report back in a couple of weeks when the replacements arrive. Bugger.

kaiser
    Free Member

I’ve some Redwing boots in VGC if anyone’s after some size 10 (ish)
    £50 + Post ..mail in profile.https://www.redwingshoes.com.au/product/8242-mens-9-pull-on-boot/

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Trendy “work boots”’ is closed to new replies.