Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • 'Trek trains expert (female) technicians': discuss chaps and chapesses!
  • chakaping
    Free Member

So a private company offers training to women in a female only environment so they know there’s no chance of blokes being dicks. Then a bunch of blokes respond by being dicks. Well done chaps, great way of proving a point.

😆

The internet would be a wonderful thing if it wasn’t for all the people on it.

jamj1974

So a private company offers training to women in a female only environment so they know there’s no chance of blokes being dicks.

Hence, why I think it is a good idea.

walleater

As always, it’s white middle class men who are the ones getting offended about such things (and looking on the FB post, it’s a bunch of Trump and God loving, gun toting morons….).

I helped run a workshop of around 15 mechanics for a while. We had some great, super keen women mechanics too. Unfortunately, most bike shops seem to have a very ‘bro’ mentality which can be off-putting. It also never ceased to surprise me how sexist and ignorant customers could be. Some just wouldn’t even believe that the woman offering to help them was a competent mechanic and would ask to speak to someone else! So, if Trek want to market one course towards women (but not be ‘women only’ if people actually read the bloody information provided on the FB page, not that I’d care if it was women only), then all power to them.

tpbiker
    Free Member

As already said, seems a bit odd given they’ve most likely already proved they can hold their own in a mixed sex environment.’

Having only had female bosses and female teams in the last 10 years I still struggle to appreciate the whole ‘sexism at work ‘ thing. Can’t beleive it still exists in this day and age (although I’m sure it does!)

simondbarnes

So, if Trek want to market one course towards women (but not be ‘women only’ if people actually read the bloody information provided on the FB page, not that I’d care if it was women only), then all power to them.

Very much this

nonk
    Free Member

I used to run a women only workshop night at one of the shops I used to work for
    I always found that the class would start right back at the very beginning with things like how do I get my back wheel in and out, how do I do a puncture etc
    This would never be the case with men in the room the women would just keep quiet ,obviously you had women in the room that had come to learn more advanced stuff but they wouldn’t mind doing that stuff again
    The reason I started it was because of endless amounts of women who would just assume they wouldn’t be able to fix it themselves even though they Manage to be things like doctors and what have yer
    Why do they assume this ?

jamj1974

So, if Trek want to market one course towards women (but not be ‘women only’ if people actually read the bloody information provided on the FB page, not that I’d care if it was women only), then all power to them.

Exactly!

b45her
    Free Member

total non story, trek offer training to women in a male dominated industry so a bunch of male yanks try to score equality points by saying its sexist somehow. more PC BOLLOCKS

mikewsmith
    Free Member

However, as a white heterosexual male I think it’s great that society became equal when we gave them the vote a century ago. I am rightly threatened by any such scheme which may expose or diminish my privileged position in society. Therefore this is as bad as Hitler. Worse, even.

Nailed it 😉

If Trek have decided to run them and there are more women doing the courses now then before there was a need for it, bit hard for some people to get but the western world is still 100% white male dominated.

As a bloke I have no issues what so ever with this.

so a bunch of male yanks try to score equality points by saying its sexist somehow. more PC BOLLOCKS

To call it PCBollocks is probably misleading, it’s a bunch of whinging blokes who have missed the point trying to make a fuss about nothing.

bigjim

So a private company offers training to women in a female only environment so they know there’s no chance of blokes being dicks. Then a bunch of blokes respond by being dicks. Well done chaps, great way of proving a point.

Agreed

ebennett

Cynical brain says Trek were probably well aware that some idiots would get in a strop about it on FB, thus ensuring it would get wider reporting in the cycling media than it might otherwise have got. Trek then get to score more points as a women-friendly brand – marketing win!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not a huge fan of Trek, having been shafted by the UK operation over a frame warranty claim.

But while I’m unlikely to buy a new Trek again, they do deserve credit for trying to push the cycling advocacy agenda in the US – realising that the industry needs to help grow its market.

So I’m inclined to think they’re probably doing this for the right reasons.

rOcKeTdOg

Talia Kemp needs to go on a H&S course next, that hair is just waiting to get caught in something spinny and causing an accident

wwaswas

I’m a man.

How can I possibly speak for what women want?

If a company offer a product and women then buy it (whether that’s bikes, training or whatever) then that’s a good thing, imo – there was a demand for that product.

I do think that cycling is dominated by white men in this country and if initiatives like this help women to join either as workers in the industry or just as individuals who go out and enjoy riding a bike then what’s not to like?

All this bollocks about ‘it’s discriminating against men’ is just a smokescreen for misogyny and that whole Milo type invective, imo.

kilo

cinnamon_girl – Member
    My experience from participating … has been that barriers don’t exist in mountain biking and it’s a very welcoming activity to all.

Yes that’s why Mrs Kilo consistently finds blokes who see it as some sort of a challenge if she overtakes or even tries to overtake them on a trail 😉
    I organised a ladies only mtb training session for my cycling club a few years ago and a mixed session at the same time, had no problem filling the ladies session so maybe there is a need for more training options in traditionally male environments to be available.

ossify

Trek’s course for women is about taking steps to create more opportunities for women in the bike industry, which in turn should make the industry a more attractive place for women to work – creating a cycle which corrects the gender imbalance

*applause*

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I don’t get it. If you have to be ‘experienced’ in the first place to get on the course, then surely you have already overcome any sexism in the industry?

A shallow attempt for a company to look like they are doing a good thing, without actually tackling the issue (if there is an issue that needs tackling?)

MrSalmon
    Free Member

As already said, seems a bit odd given they’ve most likely already proved they can hold their own in a mixed sex environment.

If ‘holding their own’ means putting up with crap that their male colleagues don’t have to deal with for 5 days a week, it’s maybe not surprising if women are less than enthusiastic about a training course which is likely to feature more of the same. I mean, why would you? I can imagine it’s quite tedious having to constantly ‘hold your own’.

Northwind

If it works well for those it’s being offered to, then it’s good, and nothing else matters at all basically. As far as the course itself goes, at least. I think broadly speaking, everyone else can **** off.

But that’s only half the conversation, the other half is the “what does it say about the industry” and “what does the response say about people”. They’re obviously connected, but it’s 2 separate issues

FunkyDunc – Member

I don’t get it. If you have to be ‘experienced’ in the first place to get on the course, then surely you have already overcome any sexism in the industry?

Not really. Maybe you’ve not experienced it personally, or you don’t find it an issue, or maybe you have but have overcome it so far but that doesn’t mean it’s stopped being an issue- you’re overcoming it every day but it’s still something you have to deal with. Maybe having to overcome it to get as far as you are, is what stops you going further. Maybe it’s not something that you overcome and then move past, like jumping over a fence, maybe it’s that lots of things you do involves jumping over a fence while other people don’t have to.

evh22
    Free Member

“If you have to be ‘experienced’ in the first place to get on the course, then surely you have already overcome any sexism in the industry?”

You know disadvantage isn’t like a wall that once you’ve climbed you’re free from it? Even the most successful people still need help and still face problems because of their background/circumstances. Most successful people from disadvantaged backgrounds remain the exception.

The accepted methods to reduce inequality is to identify the problems that stop people achieving things and deal with them. In the bike industry this might not be just about women, it could also be things like giving maths lessons to staff who aren’t academic or developing clothing ranges that allow you to ride wearing full body cover or taking the Athena Swann approach to employment e.g. promoting family friendly working hours. Fundamentally you’ll find these things benefit the whole company because you have better staff retention, satisfaction etc.

Seriously, if you think the bike industry is inclusive, pick up a copy of MBR and find me someone who isn’t a white male.

cinnamon_girl

The reason I started it was because of endless amounts of women who would just assume they wouldn’t be able to fix it themselves even though they Manage to be things like doctors and what have yer

Good point and wish I could answer! I have no shame in admitting that I’m mechanically inept and furthermore have zero interest in learning how to fix a bike. Soz to the sisterhood. 😀

Edit: just to add that segregating really does seem a backward step in the 21st century. That makes me sad.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seriously, if you think the bike industry is inclusive, pick up a copy of MBR and find me someone who isn’t a white male.

and remember asking middle aged middle class white men about discrimination or barriers is fairly pointless….

A wonderful quote from 8 years ago when Obama was elected. A news reporter asked an older black woman if she felt it was great news that a black man was elected president.
    Her answer – It will be great when it’s not news.

I have no shame in admitting that I’m mechanically inept and furthermore have zero interest in learning how to fix a bike. Soz to the sisterhood.

the mechanical ineptitude has not much to do with being man or woman, sometimes men just seem to leap in with more hammers and less knowledge

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have no issue with the concept of this; but with my, admittedly limited, experiences of women, I have a few concerns: are women strong enough to be able to torque up the big bolts correctly? What about fitting tyres onto my carbon rims? I’d hate to return to the shop to collect my bike (which cost over a hundred man-hours) and find a woman going at my wheels with a pair of metal tyre levers.
    Shock setup? That’s all worked out in percentages of sag, which could be tricky for them to calculate?
    I think mixed sex bike shops would probably work best; let the man do the spannering (something you don’t want to get wrong considering the bike is going to be ridden aggressively at a trail centre) and have the woman run the cafe and “front of house.”
    You’d get a well “spannered” bike along with great coffee and cakes whilst you wait. Ideally there’d be a TV showing cycling films, or an Xbox, as I’m never comfortable chatting to a woman.

ahwiles
    Free Member

😀

cinnamon_girl

You need to get out more davidtaylforth!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

IMO many women have had the idea that they can’t/shouldn’t be doing mechanical things reinforced everywhere they look since they were very small. I’d like to think figures like teachers and parents explicitly telling girls that stuff like that isn’t for them is pretty much a thing of the past now, but that message is basically implicit in society so it’s not surprising if some of it sinks in.

MSP

I am all for a bit of positive outreach to encourage under represented groups into different career paths. Trek creating those opportunities for their top qualification sends a message down the whole employment tree.

Funny thing is there are discussions taking place about getting more men into teaching, and encouraging boys to be more academic as they are currently being outperformed by the girls. The traditional benefiters of past discrimination could soon find roles reversed.

jamj1974

Davidtaylforth comedian – strikes again. 😀

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Talia Kemp needs to go on a H&S course next, that hair is just waiting to get caught in something spinny and causing an accident

yeah and her safety specs aren’t going to do any good half way down her nose.

One of my wife’s female friends is a mechanic at halfords, she says she constantly gets idiot blokes ignoring her or asking to speak to the mechanic as they assume she couldn’t possibly do that job.

As a news item this looks like one of those things blown out of all proportion by social media bellendry.

cinnamon_girl

Perhaps participants of both sexes, when booking said courses, should agree to not be disrespectful of others and that failure to adhere would mean removal from course with no refund of fee. Instructor’s decision would be final and not open to discussion.

chrismac

Presumably they will only work in LBS’s where all the mechanics are female so they can cope.

All sounds alot pathetic to me

buckster
    Free Member

Been going on for years, move on

rOcKeTdOg

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Perhaps participants of both sexes, when booking said courses, should agree to not be disrespectful of others and that failure to adhere would mean removal from course with no refund of fee. Instructor’s decision would be final and not open to discussion.

Is the instructor male or female though?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Male obvs, c’mon there is a limit!

edlong
    Free Member

Could someone with facebook (I don’t) clarify something factual for me – from reading the STW article the FB extracts seem to be saying that the courses are open to all, but they are proactively promoting them to women.

But there’s loads of comments in here about “women only” courses – just on a point of fact which is it?

cinnamon_girl

Is the instructor male or female though?

They could wear a scary costume, mask and wig? Just to lighten the proceedings of course and allowing participants to bond and protect each other?

Northwind

edlong – Member

Could someone with facebook (I don’t) clarify something factual for me – from reading the STW article the FB extracts seem to be saying that the courses are open to all, but they are proactively promoting them to women.

I understood that as “the tech courses are open to all, but some of the specific courses are women-only”, but I’m not sure if I picked that up from Trek or from one of the responses.

buckster
    Free Member

Come on, its there in a nutshell suit. Last line below, ‘Tag your favorite to spread the love’. Really? Some girls – sorry companies will do anything for a click these days. Politically correct social networking is exploiting women for there sex, its a disgrace, boycott TREK!

Northwind

WTF are you talking about?

buckster
    Free Member

Im taking the piss about the fact that Trek appears to be demonstrating its a fair employer by urging women into a predominantly male environment. Then puts something stupid and in my view sexually demeaning like ‘tag your favourite and share the love’. Maybe Im over thinking it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘'Trek trains expert (female) technicians': discuss chaps and chapesses!’ is closed to new replies.