Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Trek Superfly 9.8 headset help
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Boody xc bikes. no idea what i’m looking for

Trek list the standard headset as  FSA IS-2, E2  but if i google that nothing concrete comes up. It’s integrated right?

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2014/Trek/superfly_9_8#/us/en/2014/Trek/superfly_9_8/details

I’ve bought the frame second hand… what good value headset do i need?

lovewookie

integrated.
    the brand X integrated one on CRC is a good start.

watch the BB too, it’s BB95, which uses enduro bearings with an inner race diameter of 24mm for shimano chainsets. They can get a little saggy over time, so enduro do an oversized set which are a smidge larger diameter than normal.

Just make sure you get the right ones as forcing the oversized ones in when they’re not needed will not be easy.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

fantastic information thanks so much.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/se/en/brand-x-headset-integrated-tapered-steerer/rp-prod130924

is it this one?

BB is in place, bearings seem smooth. I’m a lite confused about the rear dropouts though.  I think.i need a 142 qr?

many thanks again

lovewookie

yep, that’s the headset.

should be clear about the BB, it’s the OD that’s oversized as the frame gets saggy over multiple changes of beadings.

Anyway, the rear dropouts. They’re Treks Closed Convert dropouts. There are two versions, a QR version, with a long bontrager QR or a 142×12 bolt through.
    These can be swapped out by replacing the dropouts for the right type to match your wheel.

If you need a 142 thru kit, let me know, I’ve got one I’d be willing to sell.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

great I’ve sent you a PM

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

got the above headset, bottom bearing fits in great, top bearing not so, seems a tiny bit to big, even with a little  encouragement. might pop in in the freezer? or should it just slide in and ive got the wrong size?

lovewookie

Should just slide in. I’ve used the same headset on superfly frames.
    Check theres no damage to the headtube.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Trek Superfly 9.8 headset help’ is closed to new replies.