• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trek Remedy rear DRCV shock
  • jim25

I have a problem. After replacing my floats with a set of Pikes the rear of the bike doesn’t feel so good anymore!
    I’ve got a Fox rp2 on the back and plan to have the linkage bearings replaced soon ans was going to send the shock of to get refreshed.

Will a refresh bring the shock back to a good standard or will it still struggle to feel as plush as the front?
    Because the trek uses their own drcv shock version I’m not sure it could be replaced for an alternative.

Any Remedy owners who have changed rear shocks?

mtbtom
    Free Member

I’ve upgraded to Pikes and feel like the front end matches the rear well now.

I was getting really nasty performance out of the rear with a worn shock bushing. Is pretty quick to whip the shock off and check that.

jim25

Is it obvious its worn then, if i take it out does it wobble about ? or am i looking for something else?

mtbtom
    Free Member

More that it’s rough as ar*eholes to turn the bushing by hand when you’ve taken it out. The aluminium mounts were all gouged and the nylon (?) bush had worn through. There wasn’t any noticeable play when it was in the frame.

A shock service couldn’t hurt either if you’re planning on that and they can replace the bushing / mounts for you if you send it away. I’d try that before going with any of the jerry-rigged replacement shock set-ups a few people have.

In my experience though, the Pike and the DRCV rear shock are pretty well matched – both are smooth and ‘poppy’ on the trail. (oh god, what have I become?). Probably the biggest weakness of the DRCV shock compared to the Pike front is its tendency to blow through the travel on big hits. That doesn’t sound like your problem though.

extremenik
    Free Member

I’m overweight and have the same set up as you.

I believe all bikes come with compression and rebound tune set for the bike and average weight-something like 12 stone.

If you don’t weigh that then a tune is a must to get the best out of it. I always go with Tftuned and get it Pushed tuned. I have had success with this on all my bikes I’ve had from DH to All mountain.

Even though it felt good as standard, i thought it blew through to fast. The Push made it feel like a different shock. Since having it pushed they have now brought volume spacers out. Using the biggest I found it ramped up to harsh, put the smallest one in and it is spot on.

I ride in the trail setting on the front with 2 spacers and pro pedal locked on the rear on any normal trail centre stuff, when pointing downhill jumps, berms and rock gardens open both and it now is very balanced. Air settings will depend on your preferred feel to the bike. I have mine set quite hard which works for me.

Saving settings in a book is the best and keep tweeking and recording.

bullroar
    Free Member

Extremnik, have I understood correctly you had your shock Push Tuned but also use a volume spacer on the shock? I ask because I have problems with the shock blowing through even with the big volume spacer and was thinking of getting it Pushed at TFT.

I think the fork does have an effect on the back end. I recently changed the standard Fox Talas on my Remedy with a Revelation and the shock no longer blows through as easily or frequently.

extremenik
    Free Member

That is true i have both, when i first had the Push tune, volume reducer kits weren’t available. I’m 18stone and ride uk and 2 weeks a year in the Alps so even though i’m not fit but I go downhilll quite fast.

Before volume spacers go for tune, it may seem dear but it is the best spend you can have to change the feeling of the bike.

Out the box with my weight i found the bike was to soft and bouncy even with lots of air in the can, the Push tune alters the Compression and Rebound tune. Which allows you to run slightly less air and have the slow bump sensativity but smoothly ramps up. I tried the large spacer a year after when they came out and for what I can work out, due to the less air space in the chamber and ramps up to harsh for my weight and feels like you are bottoming out faster. To the extent on a long ride my bakeside was killing me.

I’m not a geek but people say these shocks are rubbish but tuned correctly they feel great.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run a Remedy and I found the std DRCV pretty good. I’ve since swapped it out for a VanRC coil which is a bit better on the big stuff but not a lot. More ‘different’ than ‘better’ really. I’d check your bearings first before assuming it’s the shock.

bullroar
    Free Member

Thanks, I have had a couple of conversations with TFT who have pretty much convinced me they can tune it to how I want it but good to hear some real world experience. Pushing it is a whole lot cheaper than getting a new shock and all the faff that would involve.

jim25

Great, thanks for all the info. I’ve got a new set of bearings ready to go in. I’m going to send the shock off at the same time to minimise bike less time.

I’ve heard About this “push” but what is it?! A shock tune? Can only tftuned do it?

bullroar
    Free Member

Some info on the PUSH is here

PUSH DRCV

It is worth calling TFT to talk about what you want out of the tune, if nothing else it is an interesting chat.

LoCo
    Free Member

We can retune the damper as well to get it working better for you, may need a service anyway which may explain some of the poor performance.

My Remedy Frankenbike (650 front and rear currently) is running a custom built DSP Dueler at 183mm eye to eye and 50mm stroke, which works rather nicely 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trek Remedy rear DRCV shock’ is closed to new replies.