Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Trek goes 27.5 now
  • Mark
    wrecker
    Free Member

It’s not 27.5.

kimbers

cove’s new hummer is called the 650BJ 😈

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cougar – so are you going to delete the (boss’s) duplicate thread? 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

And rename this? ST shouldn’t be perpetuating the “27.5” bullshit.

Mark

What part is bullshit?

wrecker
    Free Member

The 27.5 bit. Its suggests that 650b is midway between 26 and 29. It’s not. I note that people aren’t generally putting the ” on the end, but it’s still misleading. IMHO, obviously.

Mark

We have made a policy decision here to call the new wheel size 27.5 and not 650b. We feel that 650b is rather meaningless in the context of describing other wheel sizes in inches. It may not be exactly 27.5 inches but still we feel 27.5 is a better and common vocabulary for describing this wheel size.

As for the validity and worth of this new wheel size, well that’s a different kettle of worms altogether 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

We feel that 650b is rather meaningless in the context of describing other wheel sizes in inches.

27.5 is also meaningless as it’s plainly inaccurate and intentionally misleading. Why not call it 27″? It is after all 25mm (~1 inch) bigger than 26″.
    It’s your mag, but I’m disappointed. Got to keep the advertisers happy I suppose.

I make no judgement on the validity of the wheelsize, but I think we’ll all be riding it sooner or later as that’s what the industry has decided they want us to ride. I don’t think 25mm is going to make much difference except to our pockets come upgrade time.

Northwind

Shame that… It’s always informative when marketing is misleading, tells you they have an inconvenient truth to hide. It doesn’t really matter whether the wheel size is closer to 26 or 29 but it does tell us that they’d like us to believe that it’s a bigger difference than it really is…

Hate the game not the playa…

kimbers

im on a one man campaign to have all bike numbers in metric so it will remain 650b in my house

im sure that eventually the americans will take note of my stand and see that im right

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m sure there was already a thread on this last night.

🙄

wwaswas

Why not call it 27″?

because no one else does?

when so few 26″ wheel tyre combo’s are exactly 26″ and so few 29″ wheel/tyre combo’s are exactly 29″ why get all agitated about a size in between that isn’t accurate either?

ahwiles
    Free Member

A) the difference is so small, why bother?

B) the difference is so small, why not design your frame/forks around it? – you can still use your old 26er kit – it’s a bit like 44mm headtubes.

i started off with view ‘A’ but mostly i’m now a B.

br
    Free Member

It may not be exactly 27.5 inches but still we feel 27.5 is a better and common vocabulary for describing this wheel size.

Said the man from Marketing…

Wheel diameters:

26″ = ISO 559mm (actual imperial = 22″)
    650B / 27.5 = ISO 584mm (actual imperial = 23″)
    29″ = ISO 622mm (actual imperial = 24.5″)

wrecker
    Free Member

because no one else does?

Nobody called them 27.5 until recently. Some marketer decided on this. Why do you think they decided on 27.5 rather than 27? It has no relevance to the current wheel sizing stuffs.

tomhoward

Why not call it 27″?

What do you think they’re going to be pushing in 2016? 😈

kimbers

could be worse sometimes they are called ‘tweener’ that really grinds my gears

its just for them yanks innit you cant have 26, 29 and then 650 for one thing they know that bigger is always better so no one would buy 29ers anynore

also its numbers and a letter thats just too complicated

Northwind

kimbers – Member

im on a one man campaign to have all bike numbers in metric so it will remain 650b in my house

Think I will keep it imperial and 26 😉 Maybe I’ll just put 27.5 stickers on everything though, nobody’ll be able to tell the difference without a ruler. (which is why all the 27.5/650b branding is so massive on new bikes)

Mark

It’s your mag, but I’m disappointed. Got to keep the advertisers happy I suppose

<sigh>

Stepping away from the keyboard now…

messiah
    Free Member

Is anyone here talking about the bikes? (Another thread gets lost to PedantTrackWorldForum? 🙄 )

I think they look quite good but my friends experience of those bizzare Trek shocks and shocking dry-parts-of-the-USA-only-cable-routing will have me looking elsewhere.

Rik
    Free Member

650b rolls off the tongue better than 27.5.

650b/27.5 – whatever you call it is here to stay. Whether we like it or not we will be riding them over 26 inch in a few years. And in a few years you won’t be able to get high level 26 inch bits like suspensions forks. Everybody always uses the example of 7, 8 and 9 speed drive trains – yes you can still get 8 speed but not in XTR or XT level.

We are going to have to lump it.

Same with the argument that big 2.4 tyres on a 26 inch wheel is the same size as 650b. It maybe if you put a 1.8 inch tyre on the 650b. Yes it’s only 25mm but that still equates to a 3.4 inch tyre to make them the same size. And we don’t all ride around on 3.4 inch tyres unless you own one of those stupid fat bikes.

Get over it, ride you 26 inch bike into the ground. Then when you come to buy a new bike pick either 29er or 650b. That will be your choice.

Northwind

You can’t blame Singletrack for following the industry line, it’s obvious this is an unstoppable force… It’s mostly balls, but that’s not going to make the slightest bit of difference. They can’t stand aside and they can’t resist it even if they want to. It’s certainly no sell-out.

If you have a grumble, point it at the people responsible, and just remember in future that the industry is not on your side, you’re just a wallet with legs and change is implemented for the marketing benefits not to improve your ride.

mindmap3
    Free Member

It’s all our fault anyhow…if we’d bought enough 26ers the industry wouldn’t need to find ways to flog us all these new wheel sizes!

On a serious note, I can’t be bothered stressing about it. I’ve resigned myself to that’s what’s happening because the manufacturers have decided. At least my frame can be swapped over with some new drop outs.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You can’t blame Singletrack for following the industry line,

The industry line is deliberately misleading to suggest it lies between the two when anyone informed knows this is most definitely not the case. I [expect the media to impartially report the facts [ yes I am often disappointed but rarely by STW]

it’s obvious this is an unstoppable force..

I would imagine some part of that strategy involved get the media involved in your “campaign” to help seel the message., I doubt it involved a fight with the industry mags tbh who constantly argued that 650 b is not half way between 26 and 29.
    Whether 650 b is better bike is subjective so they can say as they please but the maths dont lie about actual wheel size and where it lies hence why 27.5 is essentially spin

wrecker
    Free Member

I think they look quite good but my friends experience of those bizzare Trek shocks and shocking dry-parts-of-the-USA-only-cable-routing will have me looking elsewhere.

I really like Treks. A friend has a remedy and another a Fuel EX. I really enjoy riding both bikes. I’m sure I’d enjoy the 650b version just as much. I don’t really know why this has got my knickers in a twist, the whole change has left a sour taste (actually, JY has nailed it).

Edit, and apologies Mark, it wasn’t my intention to get your blood pressure up. I just hoped someone would ask the pertinent questions on behalf of the consumers, but on reflection perhaps it’s not your place to do so.

Mark

it lies between the two when anyone informed knows this is most definitely not the case

650b or 27.5 really does lie between the two.

Junkyard
    Free Member

well not half way [ which is what i meant if not what i said] as 27.5 suggests
    The term suggest a far greater difference than reality can support- hence why they prefer it – its a sexed up claim basically

avdave2

Call Trading Standards

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Trek goes 27.5 now’ is closed to new replies.