Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Trek checkpoint
  • subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Finally found a bike that ticks all the boxes for me

Flat mount
    12mm thru axles
    Mudgaurd mounts
    40c tyre clearance
    Sliding dropouts

Has anyone got one and can offer opinion?

Do the dropouts ever move?

Also noticed it has a press fit bottom bracket has this caused any problems

It seems expensive at £800 frameset for the aluminium model and you don’t even get a full carbon fork

Also the frame only shows as 2019 but bikes are 2020 is this normal or should we expect a new frame set round the corner?

johnnystorm

I’m sure I read somewhere that Trek were abandoning strict MY and just releasing stuff when it was ready. As it’s so new I’d imagine that the frame will stay the same as the 2020 just means new gears. Don’t take that as gospel though. They have just released a cheaper Checkpoint that doesn’t have the same clearances.

rOcKeTdOg

been riding this since last September. amazingly versatile bike, used it to commute, trail centres, coffee making jaunts, local singletrack and road rides, got 42mm resolutes on mine. surprisingly grippy in the slop and good rolling resistance. i set the dropouts half way on day one and they haven’t moved once

rOcKeTdOg

IMG_20181011_080127_609

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

As said by Rocket dog they are excellent gravel bikes great all rounder have a checkpoint 5 really good off road then excellent back on the road they handle mud really well there is a new checkpoint 4 out now have owned mind since March 2018 if you are going to stay off road all the time then the Crockett or Boone is a better bet h they are sharper handling than the checkpoint but don’t have eyelets for mudguards.

rOcKeTdOg

if you are going to stay off road all the time then the Crockett or Boone

the twitchy crocket and Boone are fine for twisty CX courses, I prefer the stable handling of the checkpoint for proper off road riding

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Hi would disagree there is nothing Twitchy about the Crockett or Boone,Boone is great in mud and have done loads of miles on it in the Cotswolds and Ridgeway etc do prefer the Crockett on hard ground over the Boone.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Crockett and Boone are race bikes. Checkpoint is not. Checkpoint doesn’t have isospeed front and rear. Boone does.
    Checkpoint will take tyres larger than 39mm. Boone won’t.
    If you’re racing Boone or Crockett.
    If not. Checkpoint.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

Just bought a checkpoint sl5 ( week old ) and upgraded the tyres to bontrager cr1 40mm and I’m loving it . I had a trek Boone 5 before and I do like treks coupler system , it takes the sting out of the trail . I feel in the short time I’ve had it I could really start to enjoy longer distances on the comfort side of things . In the Chilterns, where it will be ridden most I feel it’s the perfect bike 🙂

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The Crockett and Boone may be race bikes but it doesn’t mean you have to race them!!!most mountain bikes can be raced but most never are what ever floats you boat I use my Checkpoint for road/off road rides and the Boone for only off road generally as I had the boone before checkpoint.

mr34
    Free Member

Hi I bought my sl5 in April last year and I love it,I sold the mounatin bike, the road bike ,and cross bike to get the checkpoint and haven’t regretted it. Mine is totally standard apart from a set of W.T.B Resoulte tyres which are excellent but I’ve have noticed they are struggling a bit with the slop we have at the moment. Although dropping the pressure does help I’m running mine tubless. I also have a second set of wheels which have the orginal schwalbe G ones on which I tend to run on the road.
    Only problems ive had so far, was the rear wheel bearing sounded a bit grotty so I asked my dealer to take a look and and change the bearings if nessecery they aggred that they had gone a bit quick and replaced them.
    So all in all it does what i want road , off road all quiet happly

rOcKeTdOg

Crockett and Boone are race bikes. Checkpoint is not. Checkpoint doesn’t have isospeed front and rear. Boone does.
    Checkpoint will take tyres larger than 39mm. Boone won’t.
    If you’re racing Boone or Crockett.
    If not. Checkpoint.

that’s what I wanted to say but I wasn’t articulate enough!

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback

should have said it will primarly used for a 16 mile each way commute, occasionaly road/gravel ride and might try a cx race but i am sure it would be good enough for someone just dipping there toe in racing?

bikeytom
    Free Member

Ressurecting this thread to ask if you ended up getting a checkpoint? If so, how are you finding it? I’ve just been sitting on one in my local shop and am close to pulling the trigger on it. I only ask because I too will be using it for a 16 mile commute with occasional gravel. Thanks!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Checkpoint would be idea for 16mile commute as its more road bias than a CX bike
    use one to ride to work sound.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I have a Checkpoint SL6 , it’s mainly used for a 20 mile commute but also long road rides.
    I absolutely love it. It will probably get some 32mm slicks for the summer.

bentudder

It’s the same sliding dropout system as the Stache, from what I can see. I have to say it has (so far, touch wood) been simply the most solid sliding systems I’ve ever used. Make sure you torque the nuts correctly rather than too much, mind – but it does not move. I’ve used the system both singlespeed and geared, and it’s pretty darn bombproof.

Other than the sliding bit, I’ve got a very similar setup in the cheapest Bike To Work Specialized Diverge, by the way. If you can forgo SSableness then your options open up considerably. That said, I remember seeing something that probably was the Checkpoint from Trek years ago and thinking it looked absolutely bang on. It had chromed unicrown and carbon straight blades as well as the sliders. Danged if I can remember what it was.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve get a 2016 Crocket and they do have guard mounts, but they are secret ones that you buy a threaded eye to mount in the grand and fork. Mine wears mudguards and 28mm slicks for commuting and Trough of Bowland bashing. I did ride it with nobblies down south on the Downs and it absolutely flew on hardback.

Was going to buy a new Checkpoint but the Crocket came up in eBay and coincided with Belgian beer on the sofa and these as they say is history. They look well made and well thought out, something most modern Treks seem to do.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

I never got one as was put off by the price

Would prefer a frameset as none of the builds really suit me but £800 for Aul frame and half carbon fork that is listed at 2.4kg seems expensive

I have noticed the alr4 is £1350 now some places so tempted again

rOcKeTdOg

My demo checkpoint is in the sale now. New drivechain & pads. Only the frame looks like it’s been used for 8 months
    ALR5 in 56cm

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Now on sale in Evans and most sizes in stock

Can anyone recommend the best mud gaurds for this bike?

Thanks

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Trek checkpoint’ is closed to new replies.