Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • trek are dropping 26" now.
  • dibboid
    Free Member

linky

So it looks like trek are following the herd and going for the clown wheel flavour.

Who’s next?

mboy
    Free Member

News travels fast! 😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And don’t forget your booties, ’cause it’s coooooold outside.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    I_Ache
    Free Member

Is it me or do these 650b bikes look like they have really long chain stays? Obviously they need to be longer but I can’t help wondering if that’s what makes them so stable like the write ups say they have. I would imagine it also make them less playful and fun.

b45her
    Free Member

a trek with longer chainstays!!!! its not as if they don’t have a rep for snapping already.

imnotverygood

Pussywillow to the forum!

scotroutes

Trek are dropping 26″???

wrecker
    Free Member

650b is also commonly called 27.5”, but that’s not accurate. Looking at the standard ETRTO rim diameters, 650b is closer to 26” than to 29”. Not surprisingly, 650b rides and behaves much like a 26” wheel, with just a little more stability and speed. Depending on your riding style, 650b may be a better 26” wheel.

At least they’re honest about it. Others take note.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Pussywillow to the forum!

Lol ….I bet his handlebar tastles are lit up like a Christmas tree ….while this thread is going on without him 😆

pussywillow
    Free Member

I hope they go bust….. Trek have never been for the serious mountain biker anyway, it’s more of a bike that some one uses to just ‘commute’ to and from work. 😆

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

This is a gloriously moronic quote from the Trek press release (from the above linky)

Depending on your riding style, 650b may be a better 26” wheel.

😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Splitters!

wrecker
    Free Member

This is a gloriously moronic quote from the Trek press release (from the above linky)

What’s wrong with that? Doubtless some people will prefer it and some won’t

LoCo
    Free Member

Meh, got a 650 in the back of my 2011 remedy anyway 😉

RustySpanner

wrecker – Member

What’s wrong with that? Doubtless some people will prefer it and some won’t

And the majority of mindless, sheeplike morons will buy what they are told to.

650B is turning out to be a very good litmus test for gullibility.

I’ve a spreadsheet with the details of every STW’er that has expressed a positive opinion.
    I will be in touch regarding an amazing offer on magic beans shortly.

bencooper
    Free Member

So, to summarise:

When I first got into MTBs, wheels were 26″.

Now wheels can be 26″, 26″ fatty, 27.5″ 29″, or 29″ fatty.

Hornet600
    Free Member

That’s marketing for you, they need to get the pennies out of you somehow!! 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m certainly not pro 650b, so don’t bother mailing me!
    I’m just pleased that a manufacturer isn’t blindly following the industries’ “27.5” bollocks and are being more open about the actual size.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Actually at Trek world the reps were saying 650b is actually 27.1″ rather than 27.5″.

The fat bike did look rather fun though…..must resist N+1

RustySpanner

wrecker – Member

I’m certainly not pro 650b, so don’t bother mailing me!
    I’m just pleased that a manufacturer isn’t blindly following the industries’ “27.5” bollocks and are being more open about the actual size.

So the open cynicism and utter comtempt shown to the current 26inch user base by the manufacturers doesn’t bother you at all?

It’s just the nomenclature of the most unwanted ‘innovation’ in cycling that causes you a problem?

Good grief………. 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

trek are dropping 26″ now.

Err no they aren’t actually…..
    They have just released some new bikes in 650B. Which is great for us that don’t fit their 29ers!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Bit like Starbucks…years ago all you could get was coffee and tea …now you can get all manner of ‘pachino….it’s about choices init…..still get normal tea and coffee too

RustySpanner

singlecrack – Member
    .it’s about choices init

Ok, I choose 26inch.

It has nothing to do with choice – it’s about money.

mattjg
    Free Member

Pussywillow – Member
    I hope they go bust….. Trek have never been for the serious mountain biker anyway, it’s more of a bike that some one uses to just ‘commute’ to and from work.

Love this guy.

mattjg
    Free Member

So the open cynicism and utter comtempt shown to the current 26inch user base by the manufacturers doesn’t bother you at all?

No they more hand wringing and righteous indignation I see (all of which is totally unnecessary I think), the more I enjoy it.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Rusty ….you don’t HAVE to hand over your money to companies who won’t supply 26″ bikes

RustySpanner

I know.
    I have no intention of doing so.

I shouldn’t get annoyed at the stupidity and gullibility of the bike buying public and the utter cynicism and contempt displayed by the manufacturers, but I do. 😀

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yeah I know …..but if the bike companies didn’t make any money they’d go bust….and we’d have nothing to buy…. 😯

Gribs

Ming the Merciless – Member

Actually at Trek world the reps were saying 650b is actually 27.1″ rather than 27.5″.

I really don’t get the point then. That’s a slightly smaller diameter than a 2.4 rubber queen on a 26″ flow rim.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, fatter tyre on a 26″ = thinner tyre on a 27.5″.

I’d love to do a blind test – somehow get a bunch of riders to ride 26″ and 27.5″ bikes without knowing the wheel size, and see if they can tell the difference.

footflaps

Given the last time I checked, Trek didn’t have a monopoly on bikes, I can’t really see any problem. It’s just more choice.

wrecker
    Free Member

Rusty, its annoying. I don’t want a 650b bike. I am now resigned to the fact that that’s what we are going to be riding in a couple of years. To me, the naming of 27.5 is the embodiment of how marketing driven the whole thing is. It’s complete bullshit. But that’s what we’ve got.

bencooper
    Free Member

Well, they couldn’t call it 27″ because there’s already a 27″ – and it’s bigger than 28″ 😉

(27″ is 630mm, 28″ = 29″ = 622mm)

mattjg
    Free Member

gullibility of the bike buying public and the utter cynicism and contempt displayed by the manufacturers

Really, it’s not that way. Calm down.

Markets change, products change. Businesses have to move on or they stagnate and a stagnating business is a dying business.

Sometimes they get it wrong, perhaps they have here, perhaps they haven’t. But they have to try.

I really doubt there was ever a conference in a dark smoky room where a bunch of “industry bigwigs” thought best how they could shaft Mr Rusty Spanner of Singletrackworld.

MrOvershoot

Rusty Spanner – Member
    I will be in touch regarding an amazing offer on magic beans shortly.

Pete are these the magic beans that don’t make you fart?

As if they are “I’m out” as its one of the few pleasures in my life 😉

As for the wheel size gawd knows

bencooper
    Free Member

People like buying new bikes. Manufacturers want people to buy new bikes from them. So manufacturers think up innovations to make themselves stand out. So magazines write about the new innovations. So people read the mags and want new bikes.

We didn’t start the fire…

singlecrack
    Free Member

So …where did the 26″ wheel evolve from ….was that industry led ..or some other extra terrestrial , paranormal act ..

Serious question ?.

bencooper
    Free Member

It came from the clunkers used by US MTB pioneers. So it’s really based on a size developed for beach cruisers and shopping bikes.

Not that that’s a bad thing.

RustySpanner

650b hasn’t been lead by engineers or designers.
    The differences are too slight.
    No one is pushing this as the great leap forward in bike design.
    We’re just being offered a fait accompli.
    I think we can all agree on that.

So, it must be marketing led.
    A new wheel size will put doubt in the minds of owners of perfectly good 26 inch bikes that they need the latest thing.

So no discernable design benefits, minimal investment yet increased sales?
    Seems like cynical marketing bullshit to me.

RustySpanner

Oh and if all contributors to wheel size threads could declare any industry involvement, that would be helpful.

Thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘trek are dropping 26" now.’ is closed to new replies.