• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mjsmke.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Treadmills
  • The-Beard

I’m contemplating getting a treadmill for at home – there’s a whole host of reasons why and yes I do far prefer running outdoors but young children etc, etc – so I’m wondering if anyone here has or had one, whether they thought it was worth it and any recommendations.  I know my wife would certainly use it a lot over winter when it’s dark outside and I need to be able to train whilst still being at home for the kids.

Thanks

TB

mogrim

I don’t have one but would definitely like one. Couple of reasons: they’re ideal for a day like today when it’s pissing down or when there’s ice, and there’s nowhere flat round here (and no track nearby) which isn’t ideal for targeted intervals. I’ve got a couple of mates that are keen runners and have one, and they definitely use them. I’ve also used them (in gyms) a fair amount in the past, and despite the “dreadmill” nickname I know I’m quite happy to get in a quick run on them.

So watching the thread with interest.

scruff9252

I have one and gets decent use over winter. One thing to note that may already be obvious – they are bloody huge. If you buy a second hand one, you will need a van to pick up!

jolmes
    Free Member

Mrs picked up a Kettler Atmos Pro 60% off retail price from their refurbed section, they delivered and she uses it almost daily. She just watches netflix/prime while running or listens to podcasts.

But yeah they are huge.

fasthaggis

Friends have had one for years and use it a lot,they also reckon it’s easier on the joints than pavement bashing.
    I have thought about one for over the winter as I would probably choose it over death by turbo/rollers ( CBA with Zwift).

dday

I started using our old treadmill to recover from some major surgery, and kept going. It died, so I did a fair amount of research and ended on a Peleton Tread. Three points 1) The subscription to an excercise program will end up costing you more than the hardware itself. That said, its far better to have a structure program to work through. 2) The treadmill is only one part, its helpful to combine it with some weights and floor routines. 3) You will use it frequently for the first few months, then it will lie idle taking up space. But then who wants to run indoors when it 25+ degrees outside? I now use mine during winter months.

cyclistm
    Free Member

They are really handy to have. A bit like a turbo trainer it can be boring but useful for specific sessions.

If you’re getting one make sure it has a 20kph top speed minimum. Cheaper one’s don’t and they struggle a little at top end

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Not the question you’re asking (in true STW fashion) but have you considered a running buggy? Get the kids out, decent work out plus fresh air. Normally some cheap ones on Facebook, just need to make sure the front wheel is locked in place so it can’t fully spin round as otherwise it will act like a sudden brake.

The-Beard

but have you considered a running buggy?

Sadly they’re too big for a buggy!  It’s that awkward stage where the younger two are too young to be left unattended and the eldest not yet old enough to babysit!  The comments above are making me thing it’s a good idea – if I can find a decent one for a decent price!

mogrim

I’ve been researching* and this seems to a reasonably priced model: NordicTrack S20i. Max speed 18km/h which is perhaps a bit low, but pricewise it looks good. It does seem hard to find anything worth buying for less than 1000€, though.

* browsing Amazon when I should be working

woody74

We have a Nordic Track T10.0 that we got during lockdown and use it loads especially over the winter. We pair it with iFit and it is great for motivation and running challenges.

mjsmke

there’s a whole host of reasons why and yes I do far prefer running outdoors but young children etc, etc

Never really encountered young children while out running. If I did, it’s unlikely they would be threatening and it’s likely they wouldn’t be able to catch me anyway.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.