Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Travel to Europe by June?
  • ricko1984
    Free Member

I think I already know the answer to this, but just wanted to check what other people think.

Hoping to do a several months long cycling trip in Europe from June (Postponed from last year) and just wondering if I should already knock it on the head until next year. 🙁

tjagain

You can only do 90 days without a visa anyway. 50 / 50 I would say. To be longer than 90 days you need a visa and as far as I can see no one has any idea what and how.

Cletus
    Free Member

I think it would be very difficult, particularly if you are crossing multiple borders.

No harm in planning – that’s half the fun – but maybe be flexible on dates.

If heading South maybe you could start as late as August?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    P-Jay
    Free Member

Ling seems to be able to do it.

From a Brexit point of view you should really see what visa you need to stay “several months” but as you’re very unlikely to see border guard once you’re in the EU you can make your own mind up about that.

From a COVID point of view, on balance I’d say yes, whether you need to go through a procedure of getting a negative test etc I don’t know, but assuming the vaccine works as it should, by June the crisis will be over from a healthcare capacity point of view and the UK and EU will want their tourism industry open again. If it doesn’t and the hospitals are still at breaking point (or beyond) then we’ll all have bigger problems to worry about.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I think it would be very difficult, particularly if you are crossing multiple borders.

There is absolutely nothing difficult about crossing “multiple borders” within the EU. That’s the point.

I have absolutely no idea how a visa is meant to work within the Schengen zone.

hugo
    Free Member

I assume any visa will be an EU one or else it’s impossible to police.

andy5390

I would imagine that, having/not having a visa, issues would only arise when you leave the EU (while travelling) if you have been there for more than 90 days.

As long as the touring kit isn’t swathed in St George’s flags, you’d be unlikely to be subjected to a “spot check”

ricko1984
    Free Member

Cheers all, it was more of a Covid thing.

Already well aware of the 90 days in 180 days, so will be out of the schengen into the balkans by that point. If I need a visa, even for 90 days, will get one in advance.

Work are giving me a sabbatical to do it, so have to kind of nail my colours to mast shortly to give them enough notice.

doomanic

Personally, I wouldn’t risk it and postpone it for another year. Loosing a week in Benidorm isn’t the same as loosing a multi-month touring holiday.

Tracey

We move our Lake Garda and the Italian Alps trip on from June last year, for 12 months, mainly to ensure the sites could manage to stay viable rather than getting the monies back
    At this point in time we haven’t given up hope but deep down I cant see it happening.

aP
    Free Member

I can’t see travel being easy until September at the earliest, both within and without the UK.

sunnrider
    Free Member

EU should be hassle free but once in the Balkans you’ll need passports at every border. However, post-Brexit there’s a chance you now need an entry visa, probably best to email the embassies.

As for Covid, I don’t see things being much better by the summer tbh, it won’t be gone and people will be much more active as the weather gets better.

grum
    Free Member

I wouldn’t risk it personally. It might be possible but I think restrictions might take the fun out of it.

Dickyboy

We’ve booked ferry for end June to see tdf start in Brittany, keeping fingers crossed it’s possible.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Interested in this as well, as wanting to do something in my campervan. Likely I’ll need to hold off to 2022

One Q – with the 90 days thing – if you left the EU for 1 day and came back in, would you get another 90 days visa free? I’m sure folk used to do that in the USA

Tracey

Don’t think it woks like that, it means our future plans in the camper have been altered.
    This might help with the calculations

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

One Q – with the 90 days thing – if you left the EU for 1 day and came back in, would you get another 90 days visa free? I’m sure folk used to do that in the USA

My understanding is 90 days in any 180 day period, so you’d have to leave EU for 90 days before return.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

As you can imagine we’ve made a study of this as we live in cataluña. Thankfully we are resident in Spain so no issues but we know many people who’ve had to return to the UK or are doing so before April as they never bothered to apply for residence. The maximum time allowed in the EU is 90 days in a 180 day period. You cant come for 90 days go back for a day then return. It also means that if you spend all your allowance, there’s no weekend breaks in Paris etc allowed until you’ve had 90 days back in blighty. It rather buggers up those wishing to do a few months touring or just bumming around Europe doing casual work on the Costas. If the current Covid situation gets no worse, a big if, then I’d say you’ll be able to get here ok, just be sensible and stick to local hygiene rules.

Edukator
    Free Member

As an alternative optimistic view it looks like the age groups that make up most of those stressing the hospitals will be vaccinated by June. The death rate in the rest of the population isn’t high enough to justify keeping the economy on hold so unless there’s a really evil mutation that the vaccine doesn’t protect against I’m predicting a free for all this Summer. 🙂

I’ve been riding my bike around Europe covering 5000 – 12000 kms for decades and have had to present ID only twice, once in Germany in 1980 and once in Spain in 1994. Even when there were proper frontiers they always waved me through on a bike.

Americans/South Americans/Russians have been overstaying their visas for years. If you don’t try to work and keep your nose clean there is almost no chance of being expelled. However, upset someone after 90 days and you’ll be out, and find it harder to get back.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As an alternative optimistic view it looks like the age groups that make up most of those stressing the hospitals will be vaccinated by June. The death rate in the rest of the population isn’t high enough to justify keeping the economy on hold so unless there’s a really evil mutation that the vaccine doesn’t protect against I’m predicting a free for all this Summer. 🙂

I’m with ya Ed. 🙂

boombang
    Free Member

The above echos my thoughts.

It’s my 40th this summer and had planned for 2 months in Spain and France, picking up a stage or two of the TdF (bucket list thing). I was going to drive down and family fly, meet up at the bottom and drive back slowly together.

Work have said no to the extended time off and the obvious covid situation may be a challenge.

Instead we plan to drive straight to bottom of Spain and do 3-4 weeks before driving straight back. With their reliance on tourism we just can’t see it not happening, even if there are some restrictions when we get there or come back.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I hope to be corrected on this but I think the issue with exceeding the 90 day stay is that you will have a dated stamp when you leave the country and clearly anyone checking on your return will notice the excess period. We are aware of fellow Spanish residents who have wrongly had their passports stamped when returning to their only home in Spain since Jan 1st and wrongly refused flight boarding as the airline have not recognised their green residencia card. It’s early days and should be sorted by June (year not specified)

tjagain

My guess is that if you do overstay there will be nothing happen until you leave the EU – then you will be in trouble.

jam-bo

It’ll be like the US, you can overstay a 90 day visa quite easily and you’ll be able to leave just fine, but it’ll screw you over for any subsequent entry or even transit through the US as even for connecting flights you have to enter the US.

oldtennisshoes

I have an April ski trip to Italy booked. I’m still optimistic ish. 🤦‍♂️

mrmo
    Free Member

Instead we plan to drive straight to bottom of Spain and do 3-4 weeks before driving straight back. With their reliance on tourism we just can’t see it not happening, even if there are some restrictions when we get there or come back.

You intend to drive from where? Remember you are not an EU citizen and it matters. If you are simply expecting to turn up at Calais and drive down you might be in for a shock. If Spain is allowing non EU citizens in, that doesn’t mean France will let you in.

The death rate in the rest of the population isn’t high enough to justify keeping the economy on hold so unless there’s a really evil mutation that the vaccine doesn’t protect against I’m predicting a free for all this Summer. 🙂

Because the French will be really happy to let the new variant in just because…

Edukator
    Free Member

It’ll be like the US

I doubt it. Europe isn’t the US. Anyhow there’s no need to speculate when the consequences are published but in fact depend on member country policies:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/consequences-of-overstaying-in-schengen-area/

Edit in reply to mrmo: there will be a risk assessment. Is the tourist revenue worth the risk? Last summer the answer was positive.

mrmo
    Free Member

Edit in reply to mrmo: there will be a risk assessment. Is the tourist revenue worth the risk? Last summer the answer was positive.

not saying it will or won’t, rather don’t assume, just because. See how vaccination goes in France for example.

Edukator
    Free Member

The objective is to get very vulnerable groups vaccinated by the end of March and over 50s by the end of the Spring, so end of June. Once that is done the lower number of people requiring hospital treatment should mean a lifting of restrictions. Given the mood in France at present there’s no way they’ll restrict our freedoms once there’s enough hospital capacity.

https://www.sortiraparis.com/actualites/coronavirus/articles/228842-covid-le-calendrier-de-la-campagne-de-vaccination-s-accelere-en-france

kelvin

Given the mood in France at present there’s no way they’ll restrict our freedoms once there’s enough hospital capacity.

That makes sense. Or course restricting the freedoms of the Brits might be a different matter.

Edukator
    Free Member

At the current rate the British population will be vaccinated faster than here and hopefully a low risk by the Summer. Make sure you keep your vaccination certificate, there’s talk of a “Covid passeport” though there are doubts such a move would be legal.

kelvin

Make sure you keep your vaccination certificate

Is that a thing?

Most of us won’t be vaccinated by June.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Which COVID cohort are you in OP? If in the over 70’s there’s a chance 😁

We are booked to go abroad in July. Mrs FD and I have both been jabbed and we don’t think we will be going

phil5556

We’re not planning anything until the very last minute this year. I really have no idea how things will go.

I hope you can get away for your trip if you decide to do it. If I had to get time off work for it I think I’d delay it until next year. Otherwise you could end up with 5 months sitting at home not getting paid. Which would be rubbish.

Edukator
    Free Member

Is that a thing?

Yes, but given the debate its sparked I can’t see it being implemented:
    https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/maladie/coronavirus/vaccin/covid-19-le-passeport-vaccinal-serait-il-legal_4238285.html

mrmo
    Free Member

I have a race entry for late August in Switzerland, hoping it happens, but can only watch and wait. Where it gets messy is I am an EU citizen but the SO isn’t so I might be able to go, but she won’t.

myti
    Free Member

I think you should be ok by then. Go for it as you never know what’s around the corner.

P-Jay
    Free Member

That makes sense. Or course restricting the freedoms of the Brits might be a different matter.

France is the most visited country in the world for tourism, it’s a massive and important part of the French economy. It represents around 10% of its GDP and 10% of it’s employment.

The UK provides its second largest market for tourism. Brits spend around 80 million nights in France in a normal year, second only to Germany with 86 million.

The ‘English Variant’ has already been discovered in France.

As above, by June, unless a new, more dangerous variant comes. In the UK and the EU the highest risk age groups will have been vaccinated. I hope/pray/guess by June 2021 there will be very few Deaths and hospitalisation in developed countries due to COVID.

It won’t be ‘life as normal’, I guess we’re all well used to wearing masks in confined spaces etc.

sturdylad
    Free Member

I really hope we can….
    Had a trip planned for June ’20 as a celebration of my half century.

Booked the 3 Ballons sportive for this year as a replacement, now not convinced it will happen either 🙄

freeagent
    Free Member

We moved our roadtrip to Lake Garda from Aug-20 to the same dates in 2021.

We did discuss this at the weekend – my wife pointed out that we might have to have negative COVID tests before entry to the EU, and again on the way home – currently this would cost us almost £1k for the 4 of us.
    If this is still likely to be in place we’ll cancel – total waste of money.
    We’re both mid-late 40’s and my wife is a teacher, so hopefully she’ll be vaccinated by then – if things go really well they might get around to 48 year olds by then, so fingers crossed for me.

However, i’m aware that the EU will be keen to get tourism up and running ASAP as last year was a write off – so can’t see anyone putting unnecessary barriers up to travel.

I reckon we’ve got a 50/50 chance of going – but actually not bothered right now if it slips..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Travel to Europe by June?’ is closed to new replies.