• This topic has 33 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Travel into the UK from Germany. Gov.uk site is shite
  • alpin
    Free Member

May need to travel back to the UK to look after a relative for a few months.

I’m double jabbed. Am still a British citizen.

Can’t find any info on the gov.uk site, other than info for travelling to Germany.

What is the deal regarding isolation and testing.

Thanks in advance…

white101

My brother is flying in from his home in Zurich via Frankfurt next week, he has to have paid for test 2 days and 8 days after arriving I think and needs to isolate for 10 days, which he can do at my dad’s who he is coming home to see for the first time in almost 2 years. He is also double jabbed.

IHN

My sister, who is definitely the type who would check to see what she’s supposed to do, is flying in from Germany in a couple of weeks and I don’t believe is testing or isolating when she gets here.

My sister-in-law, who is definitely the type who would check to see what she’s supposed to do, is flying in from Germany in a couple of weeks and is testing and isolating for ten days.

It’s good that it’s all clear, innit.

andrewreay

From the diplo.de website (fair play to the Germans, articulating the restrictions in English better than the UK government can in its mother tongue):

Travel advice for German travellers in the United Kingdom

There are currently entry restrictions (online registration, Covid-19 test, quarantine) in place in the United Kingdom. National and regional restrictions may be imposed at short notice due to ongoing developments. Further information can be found here.

Travellers entering the United Kingdom are required to fill in a passenger locator form online no earlier than 48 hours before entry. Registration must be proven upon entry. For more information and access to the online form, please visit the British government website.

Since 17 May different sets of entry restrictions apply for travellers entering England. Countries are categorised as either green, amber (currently incudes Germany) or red according to a traffic light system.
    Green: Online registration, test prior to entry, 1 further test before/on day 2, no quarantine
    Amber: Online registration, test prior to entry, 2 further tests before/on day 2 and on/after day 8 after entry, home quarantine for 10 days with option of test to release on day 5 after entry
    Red: Online registration, test prior to entry, 2 further tests before/on day 2 and on/after day 8 after entry, hotel quarantine for 10 days
    People who are fully vaccinated are not currently exempt from the above mandatory requirements.
    Similar entry restrictions apply in Scotland too since 17 May.
    Similar entry restrictions have been in place in Wales since 1 April and in Northern Ireland since 16 April.
    Since 6 April, all hauliers entering England are required to take a Covid-19 test after arrival if they are staying for more than 48 hours. They then have to take further tests every 72 hours.

All travellers entering England from all countries with the exception of Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey must be able to show a negative result from a COVID-19 test which must not be older than 3 days before departure by aircraft, ferry and train, i.e. for example entry on Friday, test on Friday, Thursday, Wednesday and Tuesday possible. PCR, RT-LAMP and antigen tests (lateral flow tests) are accepted. The negative test confirmation in English, French or Spanish must be presented prior to travel. Further information can be found here.
    Proof of having had a Covid-19 vaccination does not exempt you from the abovementioned requirement to take a test prior to arrival.
    Similar entry restrictions are in place for travellers entering Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

From 19 July, travellers to England who have been fully vaccinated by the NHS and whose vaccination was at least 14 days ago, with appropriate proof (e.g. through the NHS app), can travel to England without having to go into quarantine. According to information from the British government, an adjustment of this regulation for people travelling from other countries is being planned.

All those in home quarantine after arriving in England have the opportunity to voluntarily take a chargeable Covid-19 test (test to release) at a licensed testing facility five full calendar days after entry (e.g. entry on Sunday, test on Friday at the earliest) and, if the test result is negative, they can end home quarantine early. They still also have to take a test on day 8 after arrival. This rule only applies to England, and not to people who have arrived from a country on the “red” list.

rickmeister

Alpin, I’m the same (living in Black Forest), hoping to see my mum in Lincolnshire first week of August. Its not easy understanding this weeks changes/guidance…

devash
    Free Member

The .gov website is a bit of a mess and the info isn’t as easy to find as it should be, with links taking you backwards and forwards to different pages.

I live in and am ordinarily resident in Spain, and I have had all my vaccines here. I’m due to fly back home to the UK on the 12th August and from my understanding, the UK as of yet has no system to recognise vaccines received abroad. As such, with Spain / Germany being listed as “Amber” countries, I’ll need to take a negative PCR test in the window of 72 hours prior to me landing in the UK.

I’ll then need to isolate for 10 days, taking tests on the 2nd and 8th day, however if I take a third test while in the UK on the 5th day, which comes back negative, I can leave quarantine early.

The UK government have said that they are hoping to bring in a system to recognise vaccines received abroad. This will come into force sometime in August, HOWEVER, you need to be registered with a UK GP who you will need to make an appointment with for them to do the necessary paperwork. This is therefore pretty useless for me as, being ordinarily resident in Spain with only a forwarding address in the UK, I am illegible to register with a UK GP practice.

alpin
    Free Member

Who checks that you’re keeping yourself isolated?

Who administers the tests?

How the hell am I supposed to register at a GP whilst being resident in Germany? Oh, and there’s no way I’m registering in the UK whilst I’m there…. If I do I’ll be eligible for capital gains tax!

5lab

Tests are booked and administered by private companies.

There are certainly reports of people being fined for not self isolating so it is being checked. How thoroughly, no idea..

kelvin

So, you want to use the NHS, and not pay tax here?

Elbows

I’m in the same situation, was hoping to go home for a couple of weeks to see my parents in September for the first time since Christmas 2019. All the isolation/tests mean that I’d only get a few days free.
    I don’t want to revert to being 13 and being grounded.
    Also coming back could be problematic given to increase in cases over there.
    Frustrating given that I’m double jabbed and live in an area with less than 7 per 100k on the 7 day incidence

poly
    Free Member

Alpin – not sure what was difficult to find?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19#check-the-rules-for-the-country-youre-coming-from-or-have-travelled-through

Germany is an Amber list country at present.
    The link above assumes you are going to England, subtle differences for Scotland/Wales/NI.

So these rules apply:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list-rules-if-you-are-not-fully-uk-vaccinated

NOTE – the special exemption for people travelling from amber list countries who have been vaccinated only applies if you were vaccinated in the UK at the moment. That is stupid when the EU have a scheme for mutual recognition amongst themselves – but that is UK2021!

As I understand it there are minimal checks on compliance, but if they do find you failed to comply they are fairly tough about it, it seems most likely that this happens if you get stopped for a minor road traffic matter, after an accident, or getting assaulted etc.

alpin
    Free Member

So, you want to use the NHS, and not pay tax here?

Nope…. Kinda went off the idea of moving back to the UK when I found out I’d be eligible for capital gains tax. 🤪😁

Not paid tax in the UK for years. Haven’t even paid in long enough to qualify for basic ni pension.

For now it works out much cheaper to stay in the Vaterland and pay the extortionate health care costs whilst travelling around Europe.

My uncle is currently in hospital, but my sister and I are thinking of taking him private. I would need to be in the UK to help my sis with the logistics.

Alpin – not sure what was difficult to find?

Your Googlefu is strong. Cheers!

MoreCashThanDash

No one, because that would be a terrible breach of your freedoms.

alpin
    Free Member

sparksmcguff

You should be able to pay for test and release while Germany is Amber list. I can’t keep up and have someone who spends a few hours a month working out how we can keep people moving safely and legally.

wbo
    Free Member

My impession is that you’ll still need to do 10 days quarantine as you weren’t vaccinated by a UK doctor. Stupid but that’s how it is. This should change in AUgust though I am lead to believe, but that’s todays informal hint, so no reliability to be expected. I’m in the same position, and as the UK is plague island, 10 days going in, and 10 days back in Norway.

Testing is private, who does it in Germany should be easy.

5lab

its worth noting that if you can get into a green list country (ie croatia, iceland) you can always hang out there for 10 days, then travel to the UK and have no isolation required at all on arrival. Obviously not a great option if you are time limited, but if you aren’t its a way of spending less time cooped up in a hotel room

alpin
    Free Member

Quarantine is in a hotel? Paid for by me?
    Even if I have a house to myself that I can sit in?

iffoverload
    Free Member

The deal is, vaccines are great, government knows what it is doing, be happy.

sparksmcguff

Quarantine is in a hotel? Paid for by me?

Nope. That’s red countries. You can quarantine at a family members home. You just have to keep yourself to yourself. As I say, take a look at test and release.

spekkie
    Free Member

Will be interesting to see how this develops over the coming months. We wanted to pop over for a week in Autumn but it looks like it could cost us a small fortune each just in “testing”.

mattyfez

It’s very bad with the double standards and duoplicity or the ‘uk gov’.

But it’s what the majority voted for. Brexit voters should own it and die..

mattyfez

T-shirts.

kelvin

Kinda went off the idea of moving back to the UK

Apologies, I misread things. I thought you were asking how to register with a UK GP.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

No one. Welcome to Joke Island.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57909022

rickmeister

I’ve decided to wait until Christmas.

sharkbait
    Free Member

No one. Welcome to Joke Island.

That article has nothing to do with isolation checking.

I know someone who went to Portugal about 3 weeks ago. Came back and isolated – she had two phone calls and a visit to the registered isolation address within the first week.

Drac

Looks like you’ll be fine if you’re double vaccinated. You are double vaccinated right?

Stainypants
    torsoinalake
    Free Member

That article has nothing to do with isolation checking

If they don’t take your locator form, how are they going to locate you?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Indeed, but it didn’t say that they weren’t collecting locator forms…

border staff they no longer had to search for a passenger locator form when the computer system failed to find one.

They still check that people are isolating.

Miguelo

the locator form is completed on line. They phoned me every single day to confirm I was self-isolating in the address I provided on the locator form and that i had done my day 2 and 8 tests. They didn’t sent anyone to check I was actually at home but allegedly they do this sometimes.

Also the test before flying to UK does not need to be a PCR, an antigen test is valid too (at least it was coming from Spain a few weeks ago).

Stainypants

From the 2nd there is no need to isolate just an antigen test 72 hours before and a 2 day PCR.

alpin
    Free Member

Read a German article about this at lunch.

Finally Sonne common sense thinking from UK gov.

Still unclear whether I need to go, but certainly makes things easier if needs be.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Travel into the UK from Germany. Gov.uk site is shite’ is closed to new replies.