Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Trauma: Level One: ITV anyone watching?
  • DezB
    Free Member

Did you see the mess of that guy’s leg? Jeez. Was he a cyclist or motorcyclist? Missed that.

sm
    Free Member

Watching through my hands! Don’t do blood very well.

crikey
    Free Member

God forbid, bloody busmans holiday..

sm
    Free Member

Motorbike

ratherbeintobago

Not watching, but FB commentary from colleagues suggests there are (as with all these things) a few people trying to make their job sound far more exciting and important than the reality.

Piece of advice I’d give to any healthcare professional considering appearing in a fly-on-the-wall: Don’t. Just don’t. No-one ever comes out looking good.

I am still mindful of one a while back where the (televised) management should have resulted in an Interview Without Coffee for the individuals concerned, and would have done in my dept.

dr_death
    Free Member

There’s rumour afoot that they are going to move 24 hours in A&E to my department….. I will not be amused. Already appeared on the first series of Junior doctors and wasn’t very happy about that.

As a general rule, any doc that wants to appear on telly, probably shouldn’t be on telly.

ratherbeintobago

There’s rumour afoot that they are going to move 24 hours in A&E to my department….. I will not be amused.

Rumour has it that the reason Junior Doctors: Your TTOs in Their Hands appeared so scant in supervision was that no-one more senior would appear on it as they were all painfully aware that no-one would come out of it looking good.

One of my colleagues (genuinely; I have fortunately managed to avoid the cameras) was an SpR where Trauma was being filmed; she deliberately swore so much on camera that the footage of her was unusable. Not that I’d recommend that as a technique…

As a general rule, any doc that wants to appear on telly, probably shouldn’t be on telly.

+1

dr_death
    Free Member

I adopted the ‘say **** a lot on camera’ tactic as well. I find it wrks quite well and will be reprised if they start filming again…

DezB
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago – Member
    Piece of advice I’d give to any healthcare professional considering appearing in a fly-on-the-wall: Don’t. Just don’t. No-one ever comes out looking good.

Well they all came across well in that. Saved a couple of lives. Was fascinating.
    Young kid who came off his push bike started internal bleeding and they were scooping handfuls out. Absolutely amazing.

northshoreniall

dr death, you James Cook? Mrs only said at weekend rumour has it is heading there next, she is less than pleased at the prospect of being caught on it. Must coach her in the swearing technique above 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I think a number of the King’s staff come across very well in 24hrs in A&E.

ratherbeintobago

Well they all came across well in that

To lay people, they may well do.

To colleagues, there’s almost always something which makes you sit up and go either “that’s total bollocks” or, more worryingly “Jesus! Did they really televise that?” (see incident mentioned vaguely above).

I avoid watching these things as, like reading the Daily Mail, they aren’t good for my blood pressure.

Jamie
    Free Member

On a cynical sidenote, ITV really don’t have any original ideas these days.

DezB
    Free Member

To lay people, they may well do.

OMG, you certainly aren’t coming across well.

No Jamie, there was nothing original about it, but I enjoy seeing gaping wounds. As a lay person like.

Jamie
    Free Member

I preferred the realism of Holby City.

DezB
    Free Member

I saw Holby City once and thought “Jesus! Did they really televise that?”

ratherbeintobago

I saw Holby City once and thought “Jesus! Did they really televise that?”

😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

It’s bad enough seeing physio on the tv in any shape or form. I can only imagine that it is much worse when it goes up the food chain.

dr_death
    Free Member

Further north than that Niall.

I think what tobago was trying to say was that people in the trade always think you make yourself look like a right dick when you go on the telly. The general public probably don’t pick up on the subtle mistakes/stupidity etc. Same for every busmans holiday type show I would expect….

Drac

24 Hours in A&E and the other one production company did Saving Britain? Are maybe the 2 exceptions to this though there still is the odd person on it who seem to want it make it look good. As the cameras are setup months before for staff to get use to them then switched on without notification of which day will be used it seems more realistic.

Already appeared on the first series of Junior doctors and wasn’t very happy about that.

Snap but I wasn’t that bothered about appearing on it as I do a similar rule to your self say them minimum as possible.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m guessing non of you actually saw the programme you seem to be judging?

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/trauma-level-one

project
    Free Member

i watched it and it was well filmed and edited, and unusually most of the staff came over as normal, not wanabee tv stars, and all their patients got better and made a reasonable recovery.

DezB
    Free Member

Thank you 🙂

Drac

I do think these programmes are very good for promoting just what the NHS does best but yes whilst most of the staff will come across as normal anyone working in the NHS will spot those that don’t. They tend very interesting and fascinating just what can be done it amazes me when I see it at work when we drop people off and how much the recover with further interventions and treatment.

noteeth
    Free Member

I thought they came across pretty well.

40mpg

all their patients got better and made a reasonable recovery.

I watched it as its filmed locally. The guy who was paralysed from the neck down after being thrown out of a rolling minibus didnt make a reasonable recovery, although he seemed very relieved to be alive!

Actually thought it was quite interesting (if a little gruesome) and a bit less ‘fairytale ending’ than the usual Rescue Choppers etc gash.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I thought it was excellent. A real no holds barred look at what trauma teams get up to.

“We need to open his chest now” Hotdog – that was amazing work.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Trauma: Level One: ITV anyone watching?’ is closed to new replies.