Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Trashy TV guilty pleasures. What’s yours?
  • binners

New series of Take Me Out starts tonight. 😀

Feel free to pour your withering scorn and contempt down upon us, but me, Mrs Binners and the Binnerettes love it, so we don’t care 😛

Anyone prepared to admit that don’t merely watch Newsnight, the Detectorists, and documentaries on BBC4 about obscure prog rock bands, but also enjoy completely trashy nonsense like this?

What’s your TV Guilty pleasure then?

Klunk
    Free Member

must be northern thing 😀

matt_outandabout

Cheesy American / Canadian cheese like ice road truckers, Pickers etc.

Shed and Buried.

Various police type fly on the wall things.

😳

scc999

NCIS. There, I’ve admitted it.

Dickyboy

must be northern thing

Don’t think so 😳 not sure if I should tell Mrs DB its back on as we are only 6 days into no TV January

kayak23

First Dates. Makes me go all mushy…
    😀

Tattoo Fixers.
    I just despair at the people on it, but hey, it’s fun to despair.

Botched – plastic surgery disasters.
    The girlfriend and I enjoy it in a strange way, but it’s also kind of sad too.

Harry_the_Spider

Fast n Loud.

binners

Kayak – First Dates is ace! Love it! 😀

A few things who’s existence I was unaware of here, that i’ll have to give a viewing.

Fast n Loud sounds particularly appealing

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I absolutely cannot tolerate any trashy TV, but I love Take Me Out.

maccruiskeen

In our house the GF’s guilty pleasure is Cops – we love the weirdly incongruous theme tune and how weirdly polite the crims are.

For me its old episodes of Taggart from deep down in the digital channel boondocks

Partly its the way it subverts modern TV production practices by hardly bothering with any of them ‘lets not bother shooting a reverse, lets just get the cast to stand as close to each other as possible and talk to the sides of each others faces like an Abba vidio’

Partly because a body is always discovered by a jogger.

And partly because friends of mine often turn up on screen – and are often really good. My pal Iain is in a running-away-from-the-cops scene and its honestly the best ever running-away scene I’ve ever seen, on either the small screen or the big. Its genuinely bloody brilliant.

But most importantly its in 4×3 with gives the top and bottom 2″s of our telly a bit of a workout (that and episodes of the wire which are all in 4×3 for some reason)

DezB
    Free Member

I absolutely cannot tolerate any trashy TV, but I love Take Me Out.

This! My excuse is that my kid likes it 😆

padkinson
    Free Member

Man v Food. I wouldn’t eat any of the stuff on it, I haven’t eaten meat for 11 years, but still find it immensely entertaining. Disgusting, and sickeningly wasteful, but entertaining.

derek_starship
    Free Member

First Dates is brill.
    Merlin is such a great bloke.

We’re currently working through a DVD boxset of Coronation Street, 1980-89.
    It’s bloody hilarious.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Absolutely not there’s a strict regime in force at Copperpot towers 😀

Fun is only allowed on allotted days to a strict monthly limit at my discretion.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

First Dates – reassures me that i could pull again if ever i needed to,
    Gogglebox (kind of works as a “TV digest” – saves me watching hours of cr@p)
    Police traffic camera interceptor cops action – restores my faith that road scum get whats coming to them – eventually

nuke

Kayak has it…First Dates & Tattoo Fixers 😀

Use to enjoy Googlebox but bored of it now…well, still like Mary & Giles

We find Naked Attraction strangely watchable too 😯

wallop

Nothing guilty about Gogglebox! 😆

I am currently binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix. I’ve seen 34 episodes since 27th December….

nickc

Big Bang Theory.

takisawa2

BigJet TV on Facebook.
    2 hours of BIG jets taking off & landing.
    The minute I saw that Singapore Airlines A350 spooling up & lifting off from Manchester the other week I was hooked. 😀

kayak23

First Dates is brill.
    Merlin is such a great bloke

He owns a pub in a place called Badby near Daventry that I just happened to stop at on a motorcycle ride one summer evening.

I didn’t know he owned the pub but he said hello to me and seems like a genuinely nice fella 😀

binners

When they do the TV reviews on Five Live they get the listeners to text in the gems that have slipped under the radar that they’ve happened upon while trawling the bowels of Netflix

Last week someone suggested the documentary ‘Australia’s Cheapest Weddings’ which is apparently the ultimate in toe-curlingly cringe-inducing car crash TV

We’ve got it scheduled for this week 😀

stanfree
    Free Member

I’ve really enjoyed ‘The Real Marigold hotel on tour’. I dont mind celebrity shows when they are older celebs not trying to hard to be cool. The larry lamb and george lamb thing touring the uk on bikes was also good and Ross Noble doing the 6 day trials bike was also very good.

daviek

Ancient Aliens…….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

scc999 – Member

Never apologise. It’s a sign of weakness.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When they do the TV reviews on Five Live they get the listeners to text in the gems that have slipped under the radar that they’ve happened upon while trawling the bowels of Netflix

You do hear of some good stuff in that bit. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oops

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oops again.

maccruiskeen

You do hear of some good stuff in that bit.

Thats the trouble with TV these days – too many repeats

maccruiskeen

Sorry, won’t do it again.

BoardinBob

First Dates too, though I don’t think it’s trashy. It’s a genuinely heartwarming program, and I say that as someone who has a black stone for a heart 😆

It’s not exploitative or manipulative and no one is there to be laughed at or mocked. Plus Fred may be the coolest man alive.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Mary & Giles

My favourite quote from Mary when Giles was poking fun, she cut him short with a face like thunder “nutty you are inhibiting me” I suspect Giles finds himself in trouble on a regular basis off camera 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

@stanfree – TRMHoT is great. Like you say, it’s people who used to be in the public eye not caring if they are liked or not. Miriam Margolese is brilliant and completely un-PC. My wife likes NCIS, it’s a bit so-so for me but not something I’d argue against for anything else in the schedule.

I’m assuming the other shows mentioned are on ITV or satellite, not heard of most of them. Actually I probably wish I hadn’t, I try and avoid shows that treat the viewer as an idiot.

binners

Channel 4 is really bad for using really attention-seeking, tabloid-esque programme titles which don’t reflect the content at all

I really don’t know why they do it

The Undateables is a case in point. An absolutely terrible title for what is a genuinely heart-warming programme, that really sensitively handles the issues of dating for people with various challenges. You’d have to have a heart of stone not to enjoy it. Sounds like trashy TV, but really really isn’t

I’ve definitely not cried while watching it. Honest!

BoardinBob

Extreme Couponing if you really want to scrape the barrel. Everything that’s bad about America encapsulated in 30 minutes

scc999

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    scc999 – Member

😆

Love the Rules.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

C4 and C5 seem to like the juxtapose of bailiffs/irresponsible poor people followed by programs on how great rich people are and how great it is to be rich and spend money to excess.

So the message is rich is good/fun/aspirational, poor is bad/punishable/self inflicted and somewhere in between doesn’t warrant air time (it’s fine/boring). Insightful and profound no.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Edit: Double posted because the site had a spat.

richmtb

Ultimate Beastmaster on Netflix.

It’s like Ninja Warrior but with more Americans whooping and hollering.

It’s brilliant brain dead nonsense

DezB
    Free Member

Talking of trash – anyone have the misfortune to watch that Jonathan Ross thing last night??
    I turned Sky off and was confronted with some buffoon running around dressed as Lemmy (did they know he’d died recently? Disrespectful bastards) pretending to play Ace of Spades.. a bunch of supposed celebs had to work out who was in disguise. I was like a rabbit in the headlights! What is this shit?? As soon as Ross said ‘don’t go away’ the telly went off. Had nightmares after.

elwoodblues
    Free Member

No saturday night at my household is complete without the Mrs and I eating a giant steak, and wathcing an ancient episode of Midsomer Murders.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Trashy TV guilty pleasures. What’s yours?’ is closed to new replies.