Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Trapped nerve in neck advice
  • Prophet2
    Free Member

Hi all. I have a trapped nerve in my neck. It’s been an issue for three weeks now. The GP has prescribed me painkillers and I am also having physio treatment. I am awaiting a x-ray and a MRI to hopefully identify which nerve root is actually trapped so the physio can focus the treatment more effectively.

I was just wanting to know if other forum members have had this injury and how long was recovery and the overall impact on their cycling. And any helpful advice too 🙂

I can ride Zwift for 60-120 mins though it is uncomfortable but at least I can do stretches/movements whilst on the turbo trainer that helps alleviate the neck pain. Outside cycling or running isn’t practical at this stage. Typical to get an injury after I had strong Dec/Jan in terms of building up fitness!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

The pain my manifest in the neck but the nerve could be anywhere across your shoulder. Do you have numb/tingling hands?

It sounds like you need traction. I had agonising pain for 9 months with mine and within 15 minutes of traction it went.

I bought myself a DIY kit in the end, every year or so it niggles and I have 20 mins and it chases it away.
    Here is the link to mine

voodoo-rich

I had a damaged nerve between neck and shoulder, probably took me out of action for about 3 months. GP initially told me i could take some light exercise, and co-codamol, but when i got to the Physio stage he said to do nothing until it was better! Symptoms were frequent pins and needles from hand to shoulder, a dull ache most of the time, and occasionally nothing i.e. no sensation at all from the shoulder down – very odd, like my arm had been switched off.

Weasel
    Free Member

Working from home hasn’t been great for my back or neck, a proper office chair is on my list of things to buy.
    It was over new year I had a crick in my neck like you’d get from sleeping awkward, that went away but about a fortnight later I had a dull pain in my right arm by my tricep and then a slight numbness along the outside of my little finger.

I saw the osteopath who clicked my back and neck out in the usual places where they are tight, but now it seems my radial nerve is pinching somewhere and my thumb and forefinger with a tingle on the same hand.

My arm and neck can ache for the first few miles of a ride, but then it stops. Last weekend I had 2 uplift days, no real problem or aches all day until we finished then it all started again. Ibuprofen doesn’t really do much at all.
    I will speak with my sports massage person as he also does dry needling to see if that helps.
    I was going to try the doctors as it’s nearly 3 months since this started and it’s getting annoying now.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I had a particularly awkward trapped nerve in my neck three or four years ago. Three months of doing very little and another three months of building back to normal. My advice:
    Take the cycling very easy, step away if it’s causing pain.
    Lots of gentle stretching. Carry this on when recovered.
    Find a good physio.
    It might take a while, don’t get too depressed, it will get better.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Trapped nerve in neck advice’ is closed to new replies.