Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • TransRockies 2010
  • fasthaggis

Has anybody done a TransRockies ( or know anyone that's done one ?
    I have entered for next year and wouldn't mind getting some first hand info/perspective , from any Brits that have gone across.

Thanks

fasthaggis

Ok , how about the Trans Alps or any other multi-stage type event?

Thanks

radoggair
    Free Member

awaits stuartie c to post!!!

Paging Stuartie c

drain

Yeah I did TransWales this year as a toe-in-the-water for TransRockies – wanted to see if I could cope with a multi-stage event before potentially blowing (even more) cash on the TR.

As it turned out, I coped, and more than that – it was good fun. It must be said, we were lucky with the weather, it coud've been a different story otherwise.

Things I learned were:
    – make sure you're in as good shape as possible, it's much more enjoyable: even a slight injury can make life miserable
    – get a massage every day (see above)
    – don't skimp on getting your bike in top fettle / take spares (esp. rear mech / hangers)
    – learn to love your bike (the one you'll be up close and personal with all week) before the event as well as during it
    – eat lots
    – drink even more
    – be prepared to kill any snorers in the immediate vicinity: it's hard enough coping with the endurance during the day let alone at night
    – smile at people, it's fun

I did ask one guy who had done TransRockies who was on this TransWales how they compared and he reckoned TW might be more technical, but less daily distance. On any one day, the distance isn't too bad, it's the accumulation of it, so treat yourself.

Hope that's of some use. Everyone copes differently!

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Hi FH,
    I did the first TW in 06 and just done the TR09. what would you like to know? Mail me to discuss further if you like (email in profile)

cheers,

Mark

RRD
    Free Member

I did the TR in 07.

Top tips

Mileage… More Mileage then some more! Find the energy drink that your stomach can take, same with energy bars (I still cannot face Clif bars).

However you're probably after specific TR details:
    The food was terrible, specifically not enough, the wrong food groups and tasteless (I'll caveat this with the fact I think? they sorted it for 08).
    If you can afford it go for the Motorhome option. We were very lucky as my fiancee followed us in a car. This allowed us to drive to the local town to get some extra food.
    Pack for wet and cold weather both on and of the bike (this year had some pretty wet/snowy stages). Regardless you'll need warm kit for the evenings/morning as it's baltic (Ice on the tents in the morning).
    We were able to drive to hot spas most evenings so didn't require massages.
    Bring some basic bike spares as the event mechanics are fairly pricey if you need them.
    I used a Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph combo and was very happy with it.

With these multi day stage races you need to accept that much of the 100km will not be technical single track (With the possible exception of the BC Bike Race). A large (and for me a wee bit dissappointing) percentage of the race was on fire service roads (Big wide dusty roads that can handle 2 huge logging trucks. Then maybe 30% on old overgrown land rover type tracks (great fun and some of the best descents). Finally 15% of absolutely fantastic, technical, challenging singletrack. Descents greater than the highest mountain in the UK. Absolutely awesome

Enjoy!

fasthaggis

Thanks folks

That's some of the stuff I was curious about .
    There is a load of info on the website (as you know) but it's good to get some first hand thoughts about something this big.

Shame the Trans Wales is on at the same time ,it would have been good to do.
    Dr-upgrade
    I will mail you soon with a few specific questions ,thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘TransRockies 2010’ is closed to new replies.