Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Transporting the bike in the boot – brake levers
  • pocpoc
    Free Member

Is there a simple product that would stop me accidentally ‘pulling’ the brake levers when the wheels are off and I’m placing the bike in the back of the car?
    No matter how careful I am I always seem to end up catching one of them or putting the weight of the bars on it which then causes the disc pads to come together!
    Easily pushed back with a small screwdriver, but I’m sure doing this repeatedly can’t be good for the pads.
    Bike racks aren’t really an option because I need to be able to leave it securely in the car while I’m at work then heading out to ride afterwards.

isitafox
    Free Member

Bleed blocks?

jam-bo

they come with new shimano brakes. called a transport lock i think

alanm
    Free Member

You can get a spacer that sits in between pads to stop this happening

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Jam bo’s picture is the proper thing but failing that a 2p coin and a bit of tape to hold it in place will work just as well.

benp1

I use some folded up paper wedged in between the pads, then elastic band around it so it doesn’t fall out

fathomer

I used to use those with my Shimano’s, not been able to find anything for my new Hope’s though (tbh I’ve not looked very hard).

It’s only been an issue once when there was another bike laid on top of mine.

northshoreniall

Ice lolly stick

pocpoc
    Free Member

FFS!
    I knew that – why did my brain completely block out the memory that those things existed??

Thanks for reminding me that I’m an idiot

IHN

A thick piece of cardboard, lollipop stick or similar between the pads, elastic band around the lever and bar to hold it in place.

Job done.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Bits of cardboard, folded £20 notes, the list is endless

dmorts

Easily pushed back with a small screwdriver, but I’m sure doing this repeatedly can’t be good for the pads.

Take the pads out first surely, then push back will stop pad damage. Or are the pads wedged together by the pistons?

JEngledow
    Free Member

I used to use those with my Shimano’s, not been able to find anything for my new Hope’s though

Hopes are far easier to push back with a screwdriver (without having to remove pads) without risking damage, so not as important IMO

fathomer

JEngledow – Member
    Hopes are far easier to push back with a screwdriver (without having o remove pads etc) without risking damage so not as important IMO

This is very true, it’s still a ball ache when it happens though!

pocpoc
    Free Member

Take the pads out first surely, then push back will stop pad damage. Or are the pads wedged together by the pistons?

No, the pads just leave a gap that’s about half of what it should be and not quite big enough to fit a disk in, so easy enough to get a small screwdriver in between and push them back.

I will be investing in a scrap of plastic or cardboard going forward now though

superleggero
    Free Member

Fold your peice of cardboard or plastic in half and loop a small elastic band through the middle of the fold. When you insert folded item between the pads the elastic band can go over the caliper to stop it from falling out.

superleggero
    Free Member

….alternatively if you want to go the deluxe route you could get one of these things which is designed protect the rear dropouts from being squashed together when without a wheel, holds the chain taught, and has a built in brake pad spacer:

https://www.evanscycles.com/birzman-protective-rear-chain-spacer-with-chain-keeper-EV189309?esvt=1288-GOUKE257624&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-38148-1&esvcrea=61233508616&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvo=EV189309-NA-NA&esvaid=50080&gclid=CPOPwZPZz80CFRS6GwodUH4D4w

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Transporting the bike in the boot – brake levers’ is closed to new replies.