• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by escrs.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Transition Spur sizing
  • escrs
    Free Member

Looking at getting a Transition Spur soon (120mm front and rear, not to be confused with the Transition Spire!) and im right in the middle of the sizing for a medium and a large (5ft 10in tall)

My last 3 Transitions were a size meduim but that was back in 2016/17 so pre SBG geometery (had a Scout, Patrol & TR500) so im not sure if i should go for a meduim Spur

Anyone on here 5ft 10ish with a Spur?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I have pondered the same question.

I know everyone is all about reach these days but I do wonder if the steep seat angle shortening the effective toptube is important on a bike that will spend most of its time seated and pedalled

DaveRambo

I’m about 5’7 with shorter legs and a longer body.

I have a medium and it’s perfect.

So I guess it depends on your proportions and what you prefer.
    Sorry I can’t be more help

chiefgrooveguru

Look at how the reach and stack compare to your other current bikes – and compare the ETT too. Don’t forget to add them stem length when comparing).

Onzadog
    Free Member

A medium spur is 21mm longer reach and 18mm shorter ett than my current bike which I’m quite comfortable 9n.

The large is 46mm longer reach and 10mm longer ett.

Difficult to call without a test ride I reckon.

pobaker
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and on a large spur, running a 35mm stem. Perfect size, have/had other transitions and although border line M/L by the size charts I’ve always preferred large, I think a medium would feel too short.

joebristol

I’m 5’9 with short arms / torso and longer legs for my height. I’m on a medium Sentinel 2022. If I had normal length arms I think I’d be on the large.

Comparing the Sentinel with the Spur it looks like the Spur has a marginally longer reach on the medium and a slacker seat tube angle – so has a longer ETT than the Sentinel.

So it’s quite finely balanced at 5’10 which you go for. I should add I’m running a 50mm stem on my sentinel and it does feel on the shorter side of things as modern bikes go. I know the large would be too big for me though – I’d have to ride it very consciously over the front.

So it’s personal preference and body proportions you need to think about here.

Can you get to sit on both options or are they in short supply?

devash
    Free Member

Oooh that’s a tough one. I’m 6ft / 183cm exactly and on a large. Stock 50mm stem / 800mm bars. Best fitting bike I’ve ever owned but I wouldn’t want it any bigger if that makes any sense.

Super responsive, super snappy, climbs as good as my previous XC race bike, but I know a few people who are 5ft 10ish who find it a bit of a handful on steep techy climbs. Mike Levy’s Pinkbike review is a case in point as he’s 5ft 10″ and rode a large.

I’d say you could go both ways but as the previous poster said, you might need to shorten the stem on the large. Compare the geometry with your current bike to get an idea how it will ride.

Also, go for the X01 build if you can. The parts list upgrade is well worth the extra cost (plus it knocks around half a kg off an already light bike).

HobNob
    Free Member

I’m 6’1 on a large, I’m kind of in-between sizes & could ride either the L or the XL. The large being a touch small & the XL being a touch big, but given how light it is & short the wheelbase is (relative to my other bikes) I feel it would be fine.

My other half is 5’9” and she rides it also & is fine on it, she still has room for a 210 dropper slammed in the seat tube also.

I think you would be fine on a large.

sillyoldman

Different model admittedly, but at 5’9” I’m on a Large Sentinel with a 200mm dropper and a 40mm stem. Wouldn’t want smaller.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replies

So my current bike (large) and the Spur (meduim) both have the same reach

Here is the geo for a medium Spur

Screenshot 2022-09-04 at 22-36-39 Geometry Details Transition Spur 2021

And here is the geo for my current bike which is a large

Screenshot 2022-09-04 at 22-37-15 Geometry Details Specialized Turbo Levo 2020

argee

If that’s the case your current bike has the same ETT as a large Spur, which may be more relevant than reach figures for a bike you’re sat down and pedalling more, as Onzadog says.

Sounds like you might need to try and cadge a demo, or find a similar geo bike to have a feel for how you stretch out on it, most bikes in this category have a similar set up geometry wise, i know my Optic is pretty similar in medium to the medium spur, as it was a spur i was after originally, back when they were producing about 1 a month 😂

Markie
    Free Member

I’m 175cm with 84cm pbh. Maybe 85, I can’t remember! My wife has a medium Spur and I think it fits me perfectly!

chiefgrooveguru

Your current bike has 24mm higher stack than a medium Spur which means the true reach is 10mm longer (24 x cos66).

corroded
    Free Member

In your situation, I would go large.

intheborders
    Free Member

You’re dropping an inch of Stack, irrelevant of Reach, are you intending to run taller bars?

TBH the kinda of money you’ll be spending, I wouldn’t be buying without a decent demo.

argee

You’re dropping an inch of Stack, irrelevant of Reach, are you intending to run taller bars?

Think he’s going from an enduro to ‘downcountry’, so that would be expected and you’d adjust, he’ll probably be going from 160mm forks to 130mm, having gone from a Patrol to an Optic myself it’s one area you do notice and have to change the way you ride, if he’s going from a 27.5 to 29 it’ll be even more of a change!

militantmandy
    Free Member

At 171cm tall I would 100% go medium. If I was your size there’s no question I would get a large.

lawman91

I’d go large with a 35/40mm stem. I’m just over 6ft and my large with a 50mm stem fits me like a glove. Coming up for 2 years on it now and it is the best bike I’ve ridden, let alone own. Amazingly fast and capable.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

FWIW, I’m 5 foot 9 with short legs and I’m on a large. I demoed a large and it felt a bit long, but I was coming from a 2017 5010, which was (and still is) small by comparison.
    Stuck a 40mm stem on, and it’s absolutely spot on. Awesome bicycle.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies

The bike im comparing it in the size charts above is my 150mm travel Spesh Levo (e-mtb)

Will be keeping the Levo for lazy days/enduro/winch and plummet type rides, the Spur is for XC and light trail duties

All a bit moot at the momment as there are no Spurs in stock at the UK distro and the shops are out of stock so ill be waiting a few months till the next shipment drops

intheborders
    Free Member

Will be keeping the Levo for lazy days/enduro/winch and plummet type rides, the Spur is for XC and light trail duties

Feels overkill, just buy a HT and save thousands.

escrs
    Free Member

Feels overkill, just buy a HT and save thousands.

Have one of those, want a Spur

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.