Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Transition Smuggler – Thoughts please?
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

Wondered if anyone has thoughts about this frame?

Would really appreciate some riding impressions.

roverpig

I thought they’d all sold out until next year.

bigjim

I’m really enjoying mine, I have the XL. I’ve gone from an ASR5 to the Smuggler so a bit of a transition (boom tish) to getting used to big wheels, also it’s heavier and bigger than what I was used to, but I don’t notice the weight increase very often now I’m used to it.

It’s a very capable bike for the travel and is far more capable than me, on faster open trails eg the DH trails at Innerleithen it really wants to go like stink and is very confidence inspiring, and the big wheels feel great over loose rough stuff like the baby heads on the Ciaran path. On really tight steep stuff it does take a bit more rider input than the 26″ bike did but the rear end is very short, not far off my old bike, and it turns really nicely.

Being very tall with a long body the frame fits me really well, it has really long reach, it’s the first bike that has ever properly fitted me I think, but the relatively short seat tube and good standover means you can still move around with ease and it is nothing like a farm gate in XL. I find it much easier to get good weight on the front end than on my ASR5, really fun in the corners and quite easy to get the back sliding around if that amuses you too.

There are still some to be had in 2015, if you are near Edinburgh I got mine from pedals and they’ll be able to tell you what is still left. One of the guys there has also just bought a Smuggler.

The only negative I’ve found is some big rear tyres come very close to and can touch the seatstay bridge, which is a known issue on the mtbr transition forum, not a showstopper for me so far though and lateral clearance to the side of the tyre is excellent.

Definitely recommended from me anyway

drovercycles
    Free Member

We have one Large frame coming on the next shipment, I’m sure other shops will have some too. After that they’re finished for the year.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member
    fr0sty125
    Free Member

Can you get away with 2.4 Chunky Monkey or a 2.4 trail king. Can it handle rocky terrain as well as a some 160 travel 650b bikes?

I’m looking for something fast playful and can be pushed hard.

pigyn
    Free Member

They are ace! I am the gentleman from Pedals that bigjim mentions above.

Had it built up for a few weeks now after doing a frame switch from a Phantom, which was also really good but I am a sucker for a bottle cage. And it’s blue.

It’s very fast and tons of fun. The only place it’s noticeably better than the Phatom is jumping, otherwise very similar. Both Jims & Dougs comments above are pretty accurate, but I think Jim under sells just how good it is in the tight and twisties, I think being an XL the front-centre is about a foot longer than his old bike! At 5ft 9 the medium feels spot on for me.

I don’t have any photo hosting accounts so don’t know how to get a picture up but here is a link to one:

Smuggler!

We have three frames left for the year, until whatever gets released in October arrives. Hopefully a carbon Smuggler, but it won’t be!

Not sure about the tyres, don’t use either so can’t take a guess. Depends how high/rounded they are, as above the clearance is tight over the centre tread not the sides. The Vigilantes in that picture don’t really fit, if they weren’t part worn when I fitted the wheels it would scuff. When it’s time for change I think a Trailboss 2.25 so I can keep the really tough carcass.

bigjim

I think Jim under sells just how good it is in the tight and twisties, I think being an XL the front-centre is about a foot longer than his old bike! At 5ft 9 the medium feels spot on for me.

very likely, my last bike was basically a bmx underneath my freaky body!

mikeep
    Free Member

Having ridden with Jim on both his 26″ yeti and his new smuggler, I can confirm that he’s was quicker on the latter.

rhayter

I’ve never ridden one, but damn they look just right somehow. Especially in that blue…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Transition Smuggler – Thoughts please?’ is closed to new replies.