Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Transition Smuggler front end set up.
  • nickjb
    Free Member

I’m building up a Transition Smuggler as a trail centre and local fun bike. I know this already has reasonably modern geometry for its age but is it worth tweaking it a bit (its a 2016)? I need a new headset anyway as I don’t have a 44/56 in my spares box so I’m considering slackening it a bit. Anyone done this? Is there an ideal fork travel – headset angle combo? I’m probably putting Pikes on it that I’ve got the bits to set at 130mm (as the Smuggler is designed) or 160mm (probably a bit too much). Reading around, 140mm seems popular but is it worth buying a new spring for an extra 10mm? Anything else worth considering

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Well the extra 10mm would naturally slacken the bike a little anyway.

el_boufador

When I had one, I ran it at 160. Had a 140 air shaft, but preferred it at 160. Was great.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had that vintage Smuggler and made quite a few tweaks, I’ll just give you some bulletpoints…

– I had a 140mm fork and it worked well enough, I’d be tempted to try 130mm though as you just want it for trail centres and local riding (not too gnarly?)
    – I used a -1 or -1.5deg headset IIRC, but now I’d go straight to a -2deg one (Superstar are good & cheap)
    – That puts you at 65.5deg head angle, then an offset bushing or two can tune things further
    – I mostly used the stock Monarch shock, which was OK, but also tried it with a Cane Creek DBair and that was incredible

campfreddie
    Free Member

I’m running my 2020 carbon smuggler with a 160mm air shaft in the fork (smugginel!). Great fun and a real hooligan, but I will admit that 140mm is the best ‘all round’ solution for what is a great ‘all round’ bike. I run the 160mm as I’m not that bothered about going up or across, but mainly down.

Whydot

I’m running a 2016 Smuggler with a 140mm fork with a frequent hankering for a longer fork. I’ve also got a CCDBinline coil on the back which has made it substantially more capable than the stock Monarch which I found hard to find the sweet spot on. Would recommend a coil and because of the size, you tend to be able to pick them a little cheaper.

Not that that helps with your front end setup query!

stevede
    Free Member

My mate has the newer version and runs a 140 fork with a -2deg headset. If I was in your position I’d run the 130mm fork with a -2deg headset and an offset bush and see how you get on. Take it up to 140 after that if you feel like you need it.

sandal100

I ran my 2016 with a 140 fork but I did also buy a second hand works components headset that they said would work from the information I gave them from the markings in the headset. I may still have it if you want me to have a look?

bonni

Thread resurrection!

I’m refurbing a similar vintage Smuggler, so interested in the results of your changes.

@nickjb – Did you go for an angle headset?  If so, how does it ride and which one? 

Did you buy it from @sandal100

SirHC

Had a 140mm fork and a -1.5 degree angle set in mine. I wouldn’t go too mad on slackening it out, as it has a fairly short chainstay, so you can start to get unbalanced with a longer fork/more angle.

bonni

Thanks @SirHC

Yeah, I’m just contemplating it at the mo. The bike has and will be used for a bit of everything so, I don’t want it to feel in anyway extreme. I’m running 140 mm pikes on it.

zerocool

Put in a 140 fork and -2 headset. And then ride it really hard.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep, I stand by my comment from a year ago – get a -2deg headset and enjoy.

The rear is 435mm so short-ish but not unbalanced on the S, M or L sizes.

zerocool

I still believe that (nearly) all bikes are improved by slackening them by 2*

SirHC

I still believe that (nearly) all bikes are improved by slackening them by 2*

My G1 is currently at just a bit under 62degrees, I don’t need it sub 60!!

zerocool

Have you tried it?😉

I think Geometron fall into the nearly all group

nickjb
    Free Member

Did you go for an angle headset? If so, how does it ride and which one?

In the end I found a very good deal on a standard headset so stuck that in to get it built. I really like the way it rides. I don’t ride particularly hard and I’m nowhere near the limits so I’ve stuck with it. It climbs and desends well. It rides so much better than the bike it replaced that I’m happy to keep it standard.

bonni

Thanks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.