Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Transition Scout Shock
  • ojays
    Free Member

Morning

I built up a 2017 Carbon Scout Frame last year and I really like it bar a few things – rear shock (the stock monarch rt3 debonair) being the biggest niggle.

Seen a few people mention the shock and switching it to a Cane Creek coil but not sure this is overkill for someone with my very average skills and descending speed.

I don’t think it feels that bad going down, but along and up it’s energy sapping – constantly grabbing the climb switch, which sorts it out a bit.

So basically would anyone recommend something that could offer better support and a general improvement? Would the coil fit my bill?

Cheers

bungalistic
    Free Member

Wouldn’t have thought a coil shock would help it going along or up hill, people often fit them to get better (or different) performance going down. I’ve owned a few Transition Smugglers, one with monarch shock, one with fox shock and not had issues climbing, often ran in trail mode mode for climbing as fully locked out feels pretty crappy for anything off road.

As with anything else, check sag, air pressures, shock setup first. Play around a little with that before spending too much money. Have you checked for tokens (or bands) inside the shock sometimes one more (or less) can help how it feels.

munrobiker
    Free Member

A mate of mine rides a carbon Scout with a CC Coil shock and I’m astounded how much it moves when he pedals. I ride a Patrol with the Monarch Plus and it’s pretty well behaved, much better than his (though I do use the climb switch- that’s what it’s there for!).

seb84

I’ve got the same bike and I’ve changed to dbcoil. much better in every way. I tried everything with the monarch. I found to get it to feel good while going along it was rubbish for going down. Still not the most efficient bike but that’s not why I got a scout.

poah
    Free Member

no issues with the DB coil IL when climbing on my suppressor. I would consider tuning the monarch rather than buying a coil though.

If the coil is moving a lot when pedaling (sitting) then he can’t have set it up right.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Before investing in a new shock just get a custom tune on it.
    I had exactly the same issue on mine plus lack of mid stroke support, so I got it tuned which made a big difference to both the pedal and open platforms.
    Both TF or J tech will be able to do this as part of a service.

strangey13
    Free Member

I’ve a db coil il on my scout, same year but alloy. I only rode it once with the monarch before putting the coil in but have never swapped it back. Took quite a bit of playing with the low speeds to get it how I liked but very rarely use the climb switch. Have always thought it moves a lot when pedalling but never thought it a problem on anything but long fire roads. I find the coil makes everything a lot smoother up and down, but always helps with poor line choice or when I get too ambitious. I got mine from TF when I had a Five and they were spot on to deal with, as someone else said them or another good suspension place would probably be more helpful in what might work best.

seb84

what sort up.did you end up on?

strangey13
    Free Member

Ended up with more lsc and lsr than I thought I needed to help it feel more supported and less on the high speed side than I had on the Five. Ride mainly in Dalby so get a mix of soft ground/mud and roots and found I was getting either kicked about on landings or felt it was packing up on open bits.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Transition Scout Shock’ is closed to new replies.