Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Transition Scout or Santa Cruz 5010?
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Could you break down some of those servicing costs?
    Never understood the massive prices for servicing shocks.

How long does it actually take a professional and how much profit are you trying to achieve on one shock service?
    I always feel like shock service companies are ripping off the fellow mountain bikers.. bit like charging someone £22 for an Ice cream because rent and business rates are high. I’m usually wrong so happy to here what your genuine figures are.

Just out of interest and as we are all part of this generous little community

So out of interest, how would you expect a business to pay for their rent, business rates and tools other than from the sales of their product and service?

theocb
    Free Member

Doug don’t get all defensive.. I expect those things to come from a percentage of the charges to the customer obviously.

I have always felt that suspension shock servicing companies are ripping off fellow mtb’ers with over charging of a simple job using simple tools in low cost units, I tend to avoid them for these reasons as I am careful with my money (though I always tip if I feel a price is fair 8) )
    I would be interested to understand the numbers from fellow STW users/shock service companies, (I only asked on this thread because people were promoting their business here.)

I’m happy for someone to earn a decent living but in my mind shock servicing hourly labour charges must be very very high and based on a very low amount of servicing per year.

Low cost tools
    Low cost parts
    Low cost workshop
    warranty and returns are low
    Quick work =
    £85 service?? even for reverbs..

How long does it actually take a professional and what is the projected profit on each service and based on what sort of numbers per year? No reason to be shy we’re all friends here.

I would definitely be more inclined to use these companies if I understood the figures more because I hate the feeling of paying over a fair price.

gardron
    Free Member

A lot of it is based on the amount of time going in to a job. When you’ve got a shock going back with problems, it could need to checked in a water bath for leaks to make sure issues are resolved by replacing seals and there’s not worse issues. This won’t need to be done on every service. Now, sure, this could mean there’s services which cost 40 quid and others that cost 120 but it’s easier for the consumer to understand a single 85 quid figure. I suspect most of that difference is in time rather than parts though.

And reverbs, I’d argue warranty returns are high, because the damn things never stay working that long.

bigjim

No reason to be shy we’re all friends here.

no offence but you are coming across like a bit of a twunt

theocb
    Free Member

Says the man calling people twunts on the internet.. 😀

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Doug don’t get all defensive.. I expect those things to come from a percentage of the charges to the customer obviously.

Not defensive, nothing to be defensive about. And it’s not “obvious” that you expected them to be paid from the charges, it seems more like you expect that they should be taking a lower wage because we are all “friends” and “fellow MTBers”.

I’m afraid I can’t answer your question with up to date numbers, though even if I could, I don’t see why I would disclose my P&L just because we both ride bikes. But from previous experience, I’d suggest that margins aren’t huge and nobody is getting particularly rich from servicing suspension and seatposts.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

SOAP
    Free Member

You realise Ratboy dosen’t pay for he’s bikes, probably dosen’t service them and just gives them back when they are Shagged.
    I’d guess the Vpp bearings lasts a couple of months with his riding.
    He gets paid to say they are good.

theocb
    Free Member

And it’s not “obvious” that you expected them to be paid from the charges

I’m glad I cleared up that misunderstanding then. It really doesn’t have anything to do with being friends either.. it’s just basic info needed to justify my spending just like I need for most other jobs.

I know it is a tricky subject and expecting people to be open about their numbers is a little taboo but nothing wrong with asking the basics imo especially when they are using the forum to promote that business.

I like to know what I’m paying for and I can’t quite get my head around an £85 service. As I have already said if someone could just break those numbers down even just a little then I might be able to happily pay it with no further thought (might even give a little tip :D.)

How much of that £85 service is parts, (rrp is fine)? When I ask anyone else in a trade they tell me these numbers as required
    How long on average does an average fork service take a kitted out pro? (no talk of extremes please just the average service time.) Again anyone in a trade will give me a general idea on basic work timescales. 1hr, 2hrs, 3 hrs??

bigjim

well we look forward to your bargain suspension servicing company

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Transition Scout or Santa Cruz 5010?’ is closed to new replies.