Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Transition Scout 2019
  • joebristol

Has anyone got one of these – think they are alloy only and have their version of LLS geo on them?

Just selling my Enduro bike for something shorter travel (ideally 130 rear and either 140/150 up front) and these frames are on offer. It’s between these and the new Bird Aether pretty much in my mind.

I’ve read the Scout can be a bit bobby/ wallow in the mid travel but curious to get some real world owner reviews on them. Are they really that bad?

submarined
    Free Member

A guy I ride with sometimes has and loves it. I rode it and it felt great. You can very much see the influence of the Patrol in it. It’s not light, but it’s built strong. Really nice feeling to the travel, felt far more capable than 130mm would suggest, I can’t say I noticed too much wallowing, as I was mostly bombing down and pushing back up I’m afraid.

ashweee
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2018 scout which is the same frame as the 2019 model.

I love it, it’s really fun, lively and surprisingly capable. Its definitely not the lightest bike out there but I didn’t build it to be light.

I’ve certainly not noticed any wallow from the rear shock, I had a luftkappe fitted to the forks to get them feeling how I wanted but the shock has always felt great to me.

I’ve got a medium and am in Bristol if you wanted to swing a leg over it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    welshfarmer

I have known 2 people with them. Both loved them. One of them was a seriously quick rider and had a top 20 Strava time on the Fort Bill DH track on his Scout.

(just checked, he now only just top 50. But still impressive on a Scout)

joebristol

I’ve got a medium and am in Bristol if you wanted to swing a leg over it.

It’s a medium I’d be after actually – I’m 5’9 and long ish legs / short body – so I either a Scoutnor a Bird Aether look about right in medium.

Does it manual and pop well off stuff on fairly mundane trails – or is it more the kind of bike that needs something steep / technical / fast to ‘come alive’?

ashweee
    Free Member

I’m 5’7 with short legs so you might want to go up a size but you’re welcome to try it.

I can’t manual but it is quite lively and poppy but with the slack head angle it works well when the trail gets steep.

gringo

I have a 2018 Scout as well, I agree with Ashweees comments above, also had a Luftkappe fitted to the Fox 36’s which has improved the small bump sensitivity and stopped them feeling a bit harsh. The DPX2 shock seems fine. It’s been to Fly Up 417, BPW and FoD and after playing about with air pressure it’s playful…I can’t comment on whether it manuals ok as I can’t manual but it’s poppy.

It’s definitely fun on the downs but it’s weight shows a bit on the climbs but then soon does mine which doesn’t help!

ogden
    Free Member

Where is the scout on offer?

ART

Just put up for sale a large 2018 SBG Scout – same as the 2019 (you’d be fine on a large, most people size up on these and the Patrols) – over here if you are interested https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2720856/

Cheers

Littleman
    Free Member

Another biased “I’ve got a Scout and it’s great” comtribution here!! Seriously though, I can’t give an objective opinion but I love my 2018 one and it’s an absolute riot to ride.

I ride a real mix of stuff, from trail centre trail ride, local sneaky dh tracks, bike park dh tracks (e.g. Antur Stiniog), natural stuff on local hills and mountains as well, and I’ve never once felt the Scout has held me back in any way. I’m sure there are quicker bikes in demanding terrain but its a tonne of fun to ride. Done some of my biggest jumps, drops etc on it and the Scout has never been the limiting factor and it descends great.

As I said, I’m far from objective but for what it’s worth , I love mine!

joebristol

On offer at Triton Cycles – frame only.

On the manual front I don’t mean manuals for metres and metres but at least manualling over / between rollers etc.

My Vitus hardtail has only got a 432mm reach I’ve just found (love the bike), and my outgoing full suss is 481mm reach – which is fine on big fast stuff but a handful on tighter corners and find I understeer on fast corners (without berms).

So somewhere in the middle is ideal 450-460mm reach I reckon.

Mine won’t be a light build as I have Lyriks / Codes / GX 11 speed / 180mm dropper / XM481’s in Pro 4’s etc

jamj1974

I don’t love my Scout – because I don’t have one.  However, still love my Patrol, when I can ride it.  I think Transition make a really sorted bike.  Makes me grin when I ride it – which is what it’s all about!

ashweee
    Free Member

Oh ok, yeah it’s totally fine at manualling between rollers and getting the front wheel up and over stuff.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Scout going to 140/150mm for 2020.

Original scout is rad, like a little bmx

joebristol

Interesting – that’s taking it closer to the Patrol then – guessing it’ll stay shorter / a little bit steeper though so it’s more poppy etc than the Patrol?

I think I’ve decided on the Bird Aether over the Scout as I had such good support / service from them. But I do still keep looking at the Scout thinking it does look very nice….

jamj1974

I have always thought Bird looked like great bikes. Anyone I know who has ridden one – loves them.

joebristol

I have always thought Bird looked like great bikes. Anyone I know who has ridden one – loves them.

Ordered the Aether in the end. Was so tempted by the Blue Transition Scout frames that Triton have for £1395 at the moment, but Bird have always been really good for me and my Aeris was relentlessly reliable over nearly 3 years. If the Aether hadn’t been released at the perfect time I’d have gone for the Scout.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Transition Scout 2019’ is closed to new replies.