Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Transition / Photochromatic prescription lenses.
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Finally decided to get some prescription sunnies. I used to have some Oakley half jacket xlj specs with non-prescription lenses. These had the transition lenses and they were fine to wear all day in bright light, and seemed to adapt well to low light, and change pretty quickly.

Can anyone suggest a decent company that does prescriptin/transition lenses in nice looking frames, at a nice price? I’m not looking for totally cycle specific frames (no gaudy colours or neon!) but something that’s tough enough to be chucked in a bag, or worn all day in the Australian sunshine.

cheers

druidh
    Free Member

I have Half Jackets with prescription transition lenses. They’re great.

druidh
    Free Member

Oops – double post

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lyons
    Free Member

Specsavers do some osiris ones, with a full perscription lense, eg not inserts. I brought some and they seem really good. They seem to be strong, light, comfortable, and protect well against spray bugs, wind etc. Plus they look good. At night, they are perfectly clear, but on very bright days, i have to admit, i wouldnt mind if they were a bit darker. Overall though, im very happy with them…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Optilabs?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Druidh, do you mind me asking how much the ‘script Oakley’s were with Tranny lenses? I found the HJ XLJ’s very comfy and wouldn’t mind a set with my correct lenses in!

Sandwich

It will depend on what your prescription is like and what frame/lens combination you choose. My -2.0 eyes (15 or so years ago) could not be accommodated by a wrap around design. Oakley will do them at a price to make your eyes water!!

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t have the prices to hand. I think it was £90 for the frames and £160 for the lenses – but I also had a £30 off voucher which brought it down to £230 or so. That was Optical Express, last autumn.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

lol…. -4 right eye and -3 left. +3.75 in both eyes Shp.

Might be better with a white stick!

Or I might be better off getting some of those Adidas frames with the clip in prescription lenses.

druidh
    Free Member

Aha – just found the recipt.

£90 for the frames.

£200 for the lenses, minus the £30.

So – £260 in total

cinnamon_girl

Can I ever so slightly hijack and ask a question? More for the, er, more mature riders as it were 😳 Am having serious problems riding in tree cover and my eyes take ages to adjust to the different light when wearing my sunnies.

So … are there any glasses (not prescription ones) that may be more suitable? Am having to remove sunnies in tree cover which did in the past necessitate a visit to A & E.

Thank you so much!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Why not try a yellow/amber lense? Supposed to make the dark bits a bit brighter (though I’m sure it will also make the sun appear brighter when you’re not in tree cover).

I don’t think transition type lenses change quick enough to cover those sudden tree lined changes. (Which is why they aren’t recommended for driving in I think).

You could get a set of those multi-lensed specs from Aldi/Lidl and give them a blast. For £3 it’s worth a shot.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks aphex. Problem is that my eyes are very light-sensitive hence wearing full-on sunnies. I suppose I could carry two pairs …

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Got a peak on your lid?

Sunnies aren’t heavy, so perhaps a second pair that boosts low light while still offering UV protection and /some/ cover when the beams of light shoot through the trees.

Or just ride with your eyes closed? ;o)

cinnamon_girl

Yep, have peak! Reckon full-on pair needs to be worn with a cord and a clear pair kept close for faffing duties!

CountZero

A number of queries here. I’ve got a pair of Oakley WHY 8’s with Emerald Iridium Transitions lenses, which are amazingly good. ‘spensive, but good. They are pretty wrap-around, which might affect the prescription. Mine isn’t that strong; -1.50/-0.50. Transitions are actually ok to drive with if you don’t mind the fact that they don’t react in the car; the glass blocks the uv needed to cause the reaction. Cinnamon-girl, for riding in dim forest, Oakley’s persimmon tint is the best compromise, but it will make things brighter when you get into sunlight again. It’s fantastic for dull, misty days and winter use, tho’, makes everything look like a June evening. 😀
    An alternative might be a tobacco-coloured tint. I’ve got an old pair of Dragon Rakes, which have three pairs of lenses – a neutral grey, a persimmon high-contrast, and one that’s a sort of brown/tobacco colour. They are fantastic all-round lenses, they are dark enough that I can see happily in very bright sunlight, (like you I’m rather sensitive to bright light), but they improve contrast, and they make greens much brighter. Check out what tints are available, optitians have loads of samples, and a good one will match to a sample lens; I have some old Arnet Ravens which Brian Vousden’s in Bath matched to Oakley Persimmon perfectly.

Sandwich

Persimmon transitions might just about be dark enough for you CG for all round duties. I have a slight light sensitivity being of a similar age and they are my glasses of choice on mixed conditions rides.

aP
    Free Member

Go to your optician and ask about Rupp+Hubrach lenses.

nicko74

c_g: I wouldn’t say (IMO) that it’s necessarily an age-related thing – if your sunnies have a dark tint then it’s not very surprising that your eyes take a while to adjust to being under trees, where the combined effect of shade and tint would mean it’s very dark indeed!
    You didn’t say whether you were already using transitions, though? Personally I’ve been reading up on Spesh’s Adaptalite lenses – they’re supposed to be very good and very quick-changing, although the darkest tint is perhaps not as dark as some dark-only lenses.

happysnapper
    Free Member

I tried the Adidas evil eye glasses with the optical inserts. They’re ok, but your vision is limited and the frame on the insert is pretty thick.

Make you look like a psycho with anything other than dark mirror lenses too!

I’ve ended up with contacts and normal glasses. It’s the best compromise for me. I only wear the contacts for biking and it does take a little getting used to but the clarity of vision and flexibility is well worth it IMO. depending on your prescription you might be able to use daily disposables which you can get for less than £1 a pair these days. I use monthly disposables because my eyes are properly broken (astigmatic and +6 long sighted!).

aP
    Free Member

My eyesight is -11, so I have actually looked into what is available. Go to your opticians and ask them about Rupp+Hubrach.

nicko74

Oof, aP, that’s gotta hurt the wallet! I’m only -6, and the superthin lenses I get to stop my glasses looking like NHS specials* aren’t cheap. Do you wear contacts?
    *-I had many years of being beaten up for wearing NHS specials as a kid… 🙁

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I cannot stand contacts. I tried Toric lenses due to my astigmatism and they were an utter nightmare to put in. Taking out wasn’t a problem but I tried them for a month and spent a good part of that month swearing and re-cleaning lenses I’d dropped on the table.

I’ll look into the Rupp lenses. So to speak. *sigh*

aP
    Free Member

[cough] My everyday lenses are fairly expensive.
    I do get free eyetests though!
    Have finally gone back to plastic lenses (1.74 bi-aspheric) after years of glass 1.9 Zeiss Lantal lenses, very light, pretty thin, bit more options for frames (currently Markus-T)

aP
    Free Member

aphex-2K – where are you, I can recommend Schuller Opticians in Lambs Conduit Street as they have a special Rx sports interest.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Wolverhampton.

Really I need to go and chat to my optician. I get free eye tests too being diabetic. Was thinking around the 150 mark but I guess it all depends on the cost of the lenses really – frames I can source myself, probs cheaper than high street anyway.

aP
    Free Member

Aha! My home town. I used to go to Lancaster & Thorpe but I imagine that they don’t exist anymore.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

No way? L&T was my first opticians! Do you remember the hugh glass table lamp with plants inside it?

L&T is still there, just across the way and it’s a much smaller shop now. I use Flint & Partners on Tettenhall Road now as they do my yearly retinopathy screens there and they are lovely people.

Good on ya for escaping Wolves! I’m off to Oz for a year, hence the need for decent sunnies!

aP
    Free Member

Small world! Glass table lamp? No but I seem to remember that the opticians there were always very nice…. 😉
    I’ve not been back much since ’95. Last time I got lost in Beatties as it had changed so much.
    Have fun in Oz.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Holy cack. Rupp + Bubrach lenses are gonna cost me over £200. More if I want an anti-scratch coating on them. Plus cost of frames.

Literally, damn my eyes.

aP
    Free Member

You could try getting some Smith (or similar) frames glazed with non high base photochromic lenses?
    That should be somewhat cheaper.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hmm….

I think what I might do is source some Oakley wire frame spectacle frames off the ‘bay and THEN get some decent photochromatic lenses made with my prescription. I think that would suit my pocket a bit more than the bad side of £250!

Also concerned that the optician (nice enough as he was) was pushing me a bit too much towards the R+B lenses, although he was suggesting decent prices for the Oakley frames, which were about half the Adidas sunnies were.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Well just got some Oakley Square wire sunnies off ebay BNIB for £38. Amazing how cheap you can get stuff for sometimes. RRP is £120+ depending on leses. Not cycling specific but a good “in between” and should suit all day wearing. Now to sort prescription lenses. W00T

FuzzyWuzzy

Off on a slight tangent, why the frick do Oakley not sell the Radar photochromic lens separately? I mean I know Radars are aimed at people with more money than sense but even I’m not dumb enough to buy a second set just to get a photochromic lens. I emailed them to have a whine and all they said were there were no current plans to sell them separately (no mention of shortages or anything), meh.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Couldn’t you just buy a second set and then sell the frames on ebay?

cinnamon_girl

This has been a really useful thread. Thanks everyone 🙂 Shall investigate a different colour lense.

FuzzyWuzzy – yes, I agree. I use Oakley’s anyway but there’s no way I am going to spend that sort of money. Missed opportunity if you ask me.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Went with Rupp & Hubrach transition lenses. Apparently meant to be fairly quick changing and go from virtually clear to letting through 83% (IIRC).

Pricey but very few options with my ‘script. Should be here in a couple of weeks, just in time for my flight outta here on the 20th! (muffled *yay*)

CG did you sort anything?

aP
    Free Member

Cool!
    Have a pint in the Posada for me before you go.
    A>

andyl46
    Free Member

aphex_2k, I run -5.5 and -3.75 with toric monthly disposable lenses. they are a little firmer than daily disposables, you sleep in them and only have to touch your eyes twice a month. Very comfortable, and my ideal solution. Then pick whatever sunnies you want (oakley Flak jacket and Valves are my choices)

midlifecrashes

Nice setup, sounds similar to what I got a few weeks back. Same lenses, but in a Rodenstock sports frame. Good shape for my head, no jiggle, no windrush. Had tried EvilEyes before but the insert was too close to my eyes so had a poor field of vision and eyelashes wiping up and down the lenses. Rodenstocks like this:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Transition / Photochromatic prescription lenses.’ is closed to new replies.