• This topic has 105 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by pigyn.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Transition Patrol – Thoughts please?
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

beer247 – Member
    If anyone is interested in swapping a Scout or Smuggler in XL for a size L Scout send me a message!

Out of interest how tall are you and leg length?

pigyn – Member

What sort of time frame for 2016 frames landing?

pigyn
    Free Member

First drop September – and currently on schedule I think..

beer247
    Free Member

Out of interest how tall are you and leg length

I’m 6ft 2 with 34″ leg

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’m thinking an XL with a 35mm stem will be the right size for me at 6ft and 33.5 inch inside leg

therag
    Free Member

I’m 6ft & on a large, tried an XL but but it felt too long

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Do you know what size stem it was?

Sancho
    Free Member

Large scout for me and super pleased about it, wanted a Patrol but not missing the extra travel, its best bike ive ridden in a long time, currently running a lot of sag and get a few pedal strikes, but dont think an odd 5mm off the cranks will make much difference.
    Though I do run it quite soft avout 40% sag.

tomaso
    Free Member

I saw one the other week and was impressed with the solidity of the frame and the chunky pivot hardware.

therag
    Free Member

50mm stem

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Ordered an XL – Scout should be here this week.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Enjoy fr0sty, think mine is the best thing since sliced bread. Where did you find it?

Im 6’2 and have a 50mm stem and 150 reverb. Reach on a xl was a bit too long for me and my usual trails are pretty tight and twisty.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I tried a Large Mondraker which has a reach of 501 compared to 483 of the Transition so I think it will fit me nicely. Going to be using a 35mm stem.

Ordered from Bike Tart and they should actually have it as I confirmed that they really did have it last week.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Turns out they sold their XL yesterday so nothing for me…

darrenspink
    Free Member

Bummer

You could try contacting http://www.windwave.co.uk/ to see if they know of any store than may have one. You after a frame or full build?

Failing that stick your name down for one in Autumn, I heard the 2016 scout has a ‘slightly’ higher BB..not that I think it needs it.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Just after the frame.

Long low slack and fun with good 1x efficiency is what I was looking for. Think this is the only bike that fits the bill.

My el guapo is really not working well now.

AlexSimon

Long low slack and fun with good 1x efficiency is what I was looking for.

Kona Process
    Evil Uprising 650B is due an announcement
    Bird Aeris (I love mine)
    Knolly Endorphin 275
    Banshee Spitfire

Edit: Cotic Rocket (although the Transition will appear before it probably)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Process has crap 1x kinematics

Aeris 1cm longer on the stay and flexy rear

Spitfire longer stays high bb

Knolly has poor 1x kinematics again

AlexSimon

Fair enough if you’ve got a clear idea of what you’re looking for.

Reports of higher bb on next batch of Patrols. I don’t really understand why they’d do that after all the good reviews though.
    Even though I notice the odd pedal strike on the Aeris, the benefits far outweigh this imo especially with 170mm cranks.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Yeah I had pretty good idea about what I wanted

boxxer7
    Free Member

If anyones after either a medium Patrol or Scout Offcamber In blandford Have one of each, they are full bikes and doing 15% off as well.

phone number is 01258 458677

Its not my shop just a happy customer 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

Alltricks have 1 medium Scout left.

timber

I went for a Patrol as I have a hardtail for smoother, shorter rides and the Patrol would be for longer days and bigger stuff. Scout would have been sufficient for most of my riding and would have been my choice if I had just one bike.

Built up a large a fortnight ago. It was about the only variant I didn’t try, but did try everything else in Muddybum, Cardiff. I’m 5’8″ with orangutan arms. Tried a M Mondraker there and is the only M to have not felt cramped, M Patrol didn’t do it for me and L Scout seemed little different. Had a quick sit on an XL Supressor, didn’t feel ridiculously long, just could have never raised the dropper post.

Feel I got the right size, 100mm dropper so it is not too high at full extension, 170 cranks more for short legs than pedal strike thoughts.
    Cornering is amazing, love a good corner. Pedal strike a bit, but more to do with getting back on a FS again after a long stint on the hardtail. Lot more confidence on the steep stuff. Also 2×10 because it is also an all day bike and I hate spinning out.

jamj1974

Patrol carbon would be hugely tempting…

noahhowes
    Free Member

Psyclewerx in Bristol had a large Scout last time I was there, in fact they had 2-3 transitions hanging up.

I’ve got a Scout With 36s at 150mm and love it. Don’t worry about the travel, it will ride anything you want without a problem. Yeah, you’ll get a bit more bounced around occasionally but it’s worth it for the fun. Two mates have Patrols which are great, but I’m one for preferring to be occasionally underbiked rather than regularly overbiked.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Reports of higher bb on next batch of Patrols.

Nope, Patrol geometry is identical for 2016, just new colours. And Patrol carbon geometry is the same as the aluminium.

Scout and Smuggler both have slightly (we’re talking a few mm) raised BBs and tweaked shock tune.

chiefgrooveguru

Frosty, if you stick a 140mm fork on a Spitfire with 26 dropouts and 27.5 wheels (yes, all but the biggest tyres fit) and in the lowest flipchip setting you get a bike with near identical geometry to the Scout, just a few mm different here and there. Probably a bit heavier but stiffer and more efficient pedalling kinematics. Scout looks great though!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Large Scout in Limeade should be with me on Wednesday.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Anyone know of any small Patrols or Scouts anywhere?

al2000

Merlin are showing small Scout frames in stock.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Great, cheers al 🙂

therag
    Free Member

Patrol & a scout on eBay. I haven’t checked size tho

drovercycles
    Free Member

Small Patrols and Scouts readily available from any dealer with 20% off and good deals on build kits too. Feel free to give us a shout if you need any assistance.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Drover,

My riding will mostly be in the Peak District and I can’t help but think that the scout will leave me wanting more travel.

Do you think the Patrol will suit better?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I just can’t decide between the Scout and the Patrol. I’m thinking of some of the rocky areas in the Peaks and my lack of skill mean I’ll come undone on 125mm of travel. Sad but true.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Hmm I’m not sure mosey, I was slightly worried myself but to be honest the Scout does a lot of work with it’s 125. The weird thing is that according to the sag ring it’s bottoming out all the time but you just don’t notice it. Haven’t ridden it on some of the big dark peaks descents yet but on the white peaks and Amber Valley stuff it has been fantastic.

drovercycles
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the Scout is amazingly capable for a 125mm bike; and if you ride uphill much you’ll appreciate the fact that it climbs better.

But if you want the absolute best for the rocky/technical descents, sure, the Patrol is the better bike for that specific use.

In general though, I think more people buy the Patrol (or similar bike) and find themselves thinking they should have gone for the Scout (or equivalent), than vice versa. And the Scout is way more capable than many other brands’ “equivalent” bikes.

You can always run 150mm up front on the Scout, as many are.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Drover, where would I find a small scout with 20% off?

poah
    Free Member

There are medium patrols out there, my bro in law got one a couple of days ago. building it up with the new 30mm haven heist wheels, pike and XT.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve found a few but can’t find 20% off 🙁

darrenspink
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve found a few but can’t find 20% off

Ring and haggle. Cash rather than credit usually helps of course.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Transition Patrol – Thoughts please?’ is closed to new replies.