Transition Covert – pics and experiences please.

Home Forum Bike Forum Transition Covert – pics and experiences please.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Transition Covert – pics and experiences please.
  • Sancho

I love mine, became a dealer after they lent me one, had two aluminium ones and now building a carbon. The new air shocks suit the bike better as they sit the bike up more when climbing.
    Im going for the BOS shock this time with a Deville fork. Cant wait to build it.

If youre in Leeds we have a demo on the 23rd.

im totally biased being a Transition dealer, but it was riding it that made me a covert, (lol convert)

wobbliscott

Here’s mine. its the 29er version 140mm front and rear. Standard build kit 3 with upgraded rear shock to Fox CTD and Reverb. I’ve also replaced the rear mech to an X9 Type 2. It’s a brilliant bike – does everything well, climbs well and burley enough for any downhill, jumps or whatever you could ever want to do with it. Its not the lightest bike in the world, but you really don’t notice the weight when you ride it (I was surprised when I weighed it), but the build is not really lightweight anyway, but like I said – it rides light. What more can I say?

image by wobbliscott, on Flickr

Hob Nob

I have recently bought a pair of Easton Havocs that so far I really like but they are 10x135mm. A fair few frames I’ve looked at are 12x142mm and I can’t seem to find anything about conversion kits.

Check the code on the hub. If its one of the later wheelsets (M1-121 from memory) you can get the axle & end caps to covert it to any spec.

You will probably need to speak to Extra UK to find the part codes to go to your local Easton dealer with to order them.

tops 5

Couple of pics of mine

Looks a bit different now it’s a cracking bike although I do get left by behind on non technical climbs (seems to bob quite a bit) thinking of getting a more “normal” trail bike like a Bandit or back to a five spot.

Edit: Until I look at pics of it! 🙂 Maybe some lighter forks and a shock service/replacement instead of a new frame.

mindmap3

Cheers chaps.

Sancho, that’s good to know that you were impressed. How often do you run demo days? I can’t make that one unfortunately. Leeds isn’t too bad me because I have family in Sheffield, so u can kill three birds with ones stone (ride the peaks, catch up with the folks and demo a new bike!). Where do you run your demo days?

Wobbli…tthat’s a good looking bike.

Hob Nob, I’ve contacted Extra and am just waiting for a response.

Some of the other bikes I like are too much (Ibis Mojo) or too expensive and would be ruined with my components (Blur TR). The Covert does seem to tick a lot of boxes.

mindmap3

Tops that is lovely. What size frame is that? How tall are you?

I know I’d be much faster on a lighter bike but I am drawn to chunkier bikes.

Sancho

the demo day is a bit of a one off as we will have all the Transition fleet there along with Kona and I think Pivot its at Stainburn but we have the Carbon covert that Im building that i can lend and we can get a aluminium covert most of the time from the boys as surf.

it was riding in the peaks that really convinced me how good the Covert is.

banks

Love mine. Despite its weight it rides very light… Whatever it means.

I’ve not been out on the bmx or jump bike since getting it either.

Could try mine out for size if you want, providing your not a midget or fat fcuker

Could bang on about it all day but its just fun, make every bit of trail fun again.

prezet

Absolutely love mine. After years of riding hardtails I really had an urge for a Covert, so built one up with this spec:

Transition Covert 2013 (pewter)
    Fox Float Factory 36’s
    Mavic 721’s/Hope Pro 2 Evo’s
    SLX cranks/brakes
    Zee rear mech
    Reverb
    Renthal bar/stem
    ODI grips

I was surprised with how short the bike felt (imo a good thing), at 5’11” and riding a medium, the frame feels full of pop and likes to get airborne but its never unstable. It’s more than capable of climbing, although that’s not really it’s (or mine) specialty. But point it downhill and it flys.

I have a 2012. I believe this is the first year they went to 142 x 12 as standard, so grabbing a 2011 bargain would solve your problem.
    I bought mine to replace my 2006 Heckler. It is a very different animal to what I am used to riding and I love it. It encourages me to ride looser, faster and is just plain fun. Climbs fine, I have Talas fitted but rarely lower the travel. Definitely get a dropper, the geometry of the seat tube is relatively steep and is quite tall and forward when the seat is fully up which feels a bit precarious initially but is nice when climbing, but the seat is well out of the way when dropped.

I don’t have any picks of mine but picture matt black with black and a hint of kashima brown.

Where are you located? I got my frame from Tamed Earth in Surrey. Great guy, does demo’s and is have a grand opening of his new shop this Thursday.

doris

I streamlined my bike collection last year and got a bargain ex demo covert frame to replace both my old trusty 5 spot and bottle rocket. Transferred the bits off the turner.

And i love it, as a couple of people have said they are not light but do seem to ride “light” the bottle rocket was like this despite weighing 38lbs!! (the covert is no where near that though) can be a bit of a drag on long ups but i just keep on pedaling and get up eventually. Comes alive on the downs though to use a cliché its really “poppy” and great fun in the corners. After riding around on the horst link turner for nine years i think i prefer the single pivot linkage driven shock of the covert it seems to want to go forward more eagerly.

I didn’t test ride it before i got mine but knew i liked the feel of transitions, but definitely get a test ride.

Tops 5, I have the same dilemma. I am over biked on this for the majority of riding and often think I should have gone for the Bandit ( I demo’d both) but the Covert is a thug. When the going gets fast and technical it is a scream, and possibly the best looking bike ever!

banks

Hopefully this will work. Oh and shame on all of you with clean coverts!! 😀

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/91477487@N06/8738231936/

Now sporting a 30t ring up front & deore brakes instead of the hopes

mindmap3

I love my SX Trail, but it’s getting a bit long in the tooth now being an 05 version. It generally does what I want but is looking battered now as well as being a tad portly. I’ve done my best to put it on a diet but it’s still around the 32lbs mark.

As much as I love it, the lure of a new frame is strong. Partly because I just fancy something new and also because I can at the moment (kids are on the horizon so I doubt I’ll be buying new bike bits once that’s a reality).

I thought about buying a Canyon Nerve AL+ because they are cracking value for money but there are things that I would want to keep and some of my stuff can’t be transferred, which lead me to looking at new frames. Some are just too expensive but with many I’ll have compatibility issues with my components and the new ‘standards’. My main bug bear is the wheels – I have recently bought a pair of Easton Havocs that so far I really like but they are 10x135mm. A fair few frames I’ve looked at are 12x142mm and I can’t seem to find anything about conversion kits.

After looking at various frames, I looked in more detail about Coverts and it appears that they can run 10x135mm hubs with the correct drop out kit. They seem to fit the bill too – similar travel to my SX, quite tough etc.

Before buying one, I’d want to test one because this will be the most expensive frame I’ve ever bought, but before I take it any further I was wondering if any owners (current or previous) could let me know how they got on with them.

As an idea of spec, my SX has 36 Van RC2’s, 1×10 set drive train, short stem, wide bars, dropper post etc. Typically I’m more interested in descending, but my SX can be hard work up the climbs and is probably a tad short.

Thanks for any advice / comments / pics and sorry for the essay!

ScottChegg

I loved mine, but to add a note of caution, the RP23 isn’t always the best shock on the Covert.

I struggled getting on with mine until I changed up to a CCDB. It was night and day. If you are over, say, 13 stone, you might need to consider a shock swap out.

CCDB are good. Monarch shocks also get good press on these frames.

Premier Icon dafoxster
    Subscriber

I have a 2011 Black Covert. I live in the Austrian Alps and my typical ride is a 500-1000 meter climb followed by a steep technical descent.

The bike holds it’s own on the climbs but really is a beast descending. It is really stable at speed and loves to fly. Everytime I start thinking that I want a lighter bike for the climbs I forget it by the time I’ve finished descending.

Trimix

Ive got one, had it for 3 years. It has been ridden in the Alps on DH courses, UK trail centers, UK DH courses and XC races like CyB Enduro, Bristol Bikefest and I regularly ride it XC in the Chilterns.

I love it. Great for everything. If you want a go your welcome to come for a ride.

I have some Talas forks on the front, so it outclimbs most of my XC mates. On the rear I have a CCDB.

I do have a Covert frame and RP23 which I should get round to advertising, Id be happy to sell it to you if you want.

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

Love mine, it has been all over, including Alps, Scotland and even a Jedi skills session 🙂

Built fairly sturdy with Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti forks, SLX and Zee 1×10 kit and hope hoops on stan’s flow rims.

More than enough bike for everything I do 😀

Dave

Trimix

Oh, and as for the ride feel – when I put the CCDB on it and set it up properly the ride improved massively. It was good before with the air shock, but now its way better.

I can stand up and sprint a climb – no bob or wallow, I can crash land a big jump and it sucks it up and does not spit me off, I can sprint XC better and ride all day. It pops off whatever I aim it at, or just rolls along in a nice controlled fashion.

I recently was racing a mate round the Croft trail – he was on his Superlight – It was easy to out pace him on my bike. We swopped over for a lap and I had a harder job catchng him when riding his bike. A lot of that is bike set up, but basically my heavier bike did not slow me down compared to his much lighter bike.

Stevelol

I had a 2011 for over a year, bought from York Cycle Works after going to their demo day at Dalby, they were great to deal with.

Here’s a pic from when I had a CCDB on it

It was an ace bike. I sold it because I was having more fun on my hardtail which was a lot lighter with less travel, I ended up selling the frame and forks and buying a Blur TRc.

In reality, they build up to a perfectly acceptable weight, I was just being a baby, they are huge fun to ride, especially if you like to pump and jump off every little bump/rock/verge in the trail. With the CCDB the bike would absolutely slay technical choppy downhills but would lose a bit of feel for jumping/pumping.

If I ever decide to get something a bit burlier again I’ll be test riding the new one in a second. I would always recommend you test ride one before buying but I don’t think you will be dissapointed.

Premier Icon simonjj
    Subscriber

Got mine a couple of months ago to replace my ageing Jekyll 1000 and absolutely love it, as others have said climb really and descend even better, running 1×10 with a 34 tooth and it’s working well for me around the cotswold hills.

mindmap3

Thanks chaps – I think I’m getting ever closer to getting one. I will definitely get a test ride organised soon.

WIth regards to other options, there don’t seem to be many frames for similar money – I quite like the Banshee Rune, the Saracen Ariel looks nice and has had good reviews and Tweeks have some discounted Tacer 2 frames. Other than that I am not too sure what else I like at this price point.

Trimix – I’d be interested to here more about the frame that you may have for sale (my email addy is sam_t_courtAThotmailDOTcom )

mindmap3

The other frame that I quite like is the Cotic Rocket, but there is just something about the Covert over all the others that I really like.

The Canyon looks nice but a full build is pointless because I will just end up selling all of the stuff on it and replace it with the bits that I like!

Premier Icon variflex
    Subscriber

If looking at a Covert, worth looking at a yeti too just as a price comparison for frameset. The carbon covert does look very nice though!

Premier Icon ddmonkey
    Subscriber

Would a new Specialized Enduro not fit the bill? I like to look of the Covert but looking at the geo they seem to come up a bit short in the top tube in all sizes, is that a correct interpretation?

tops 5

Mindmap 5′ 8″ 29″ inside leg – it’s a medium frame (suspect it’s a bit big for me)

Sancho

oh and one more thing – they dont break and are very good for bearing life.
    In my experience at least.

banks

18″ is a medium in transition sizes. Best fitting frame yet. I’m 6.1 with 33″ leggy’s

mindmap3

Variflex – I’m looking at the ali version because the carbon one is a bit of a stretch. £1500 or so is the top of my budget for a new frame – and even that may take a bit if getting passed the boss.

ddmonkey – I think I may need to go a size up. My Spesh is a medium and has a 23.5 inch top tube which is a tad short but the large version felt too long. The Covert is a tad shorter in the medium frame. I’m a shade under 6 foot so do tend to be slap bang in the middle of medium and large frames.

I’m just shy of 6′ with a 32″ inside leg. The medium Covert with 750mm bars and 70mm stem fits like a glove ( I demo’d the bike with a 50mm stem and have one in the shed for messing with set up but the 70mm makes it feel more traily rather than gravity focussed. My brief was to build it for long days out). Feels tall initially when I get on but 2 turns of the pedals and I feel like I’m sat in it rather than on it. When I demo’d the Bandit the large frame was the better fit.

wobbliscott

I must admit i’m a bit confused as to the benefits of the Carbon Covert. According to the Transition website the frame weight is identical to its Alloy equivalent. Maybe the real thing comes in with a weight benefit over what’s reported on the website. All academic for me anyway as I went 29er.

Premier Icon ddmonkey
    Subscriber

Interesting – I am 6’1″ (just!) but have long arms, so I am running a XL Spec Enduro with a 35mm stem and I find it fits me better than any other bike I’ve owned. I think the wheel base is 48″ with the short chainstays. The Covert large comes up much shorter overall I think, so hard to make sense of the numbers without getting on the bike!

zerocool

Try to sit on one to check sizing, I’m 5’10 and the medium felt a little short for me, but my GF is 5’6 and it was way to long for her (although she reckons the small is just a little to short)

Trimix

mindmap3 – Ive sent you mail.

Trimix

Ive a medium – its bigger than a medium Santa Cruz. Fits me very well and Im 5 foot 11.

prezet

Medium here, also 5’11” – perfect fit. Go bigger and you’d risk losing some of that playfulness of the frame IMO.

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

Medium @ 5’11” +1

mindmap3

I definitely want to try a medium because I want a bike that is fun to ride.

Although slightly taller than some of the others, I’m longer in the leg than the torso.

tops 5

Where you based Mindmap?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Transition Covert – pics and experiences please.’ is closed to new replies.