• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by b33k34.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Transiting an Airport – day trips?
  • crazy-legs

The thread about “Airport Chaos” reminded me that I should probably ask this question…

I’ve got a trip in a couple of months time coming back through San Francisco with a 6hr layover. International flight in, international flight (same airline) out so I’m hoping 🤞 that checked baggage just goes straight through.

That leaves me 6hrs in San Fran which Google informs me is enough time to nip into the city or at least off to see a sight or two before getting back there.

What Google doesn’t seem to tell me is what I actually need for this – am I even allowed to leave the airport, do I need a visa and/or green card? Am I likely to face a 2hr security queue to get out followed by a 2hr queue back in? Not sure how much extra inconvenience the fact that I’m flying in from outside the US will cause… Anyone with any similar experiences want to tell me whether it’s worth a try or if I should just stay safely in the airport…?

mattvanders
    Free Member

For 6 hours I wouldn’t bother leaving the air port, just chill out and take a walk to stretch the legs and get some proper non air plane food. I have been to San Fran before and while I did enough some parts of the trip its decently not a return to place either. I’ve had a 4 hour stop over before in Dubai and it past quick enough

lunge

US immigration is notoriously slow, It could easily take you 2 hours to get through and that’s without the look of confusion as someone from homeland security wants to know why you want a mere 2 hours in the city. I’m pretty sure it’d not be worth the hassle.
    I’m not sure if you’ll need to go through immigration if you stay flight side, but even if you don’t that still not a vast amount of time in the airport.

connect2

I also wouldn’t count on your baggage going straight through. I was once on international in then an onwards internal flight. I was specifically told that my baggage was checked straight through but I got speaking to someone on the plane who said that it would definitely be unloaded. Sure enough it came through the baggage carousel

rickmeister

Are you a musician?
    If you want to go dancing for a hour or so, make sure you don’t leave your Harp in San Fran’s disco….

crazy-legs

I also wouldn’t count on your baggage going straight through. I was once on international in then an onwards internal flight. I was specifically told that my baggage was checked straight through but I got speaking to someone on the plane who said that it would definitely be unloaded. Sure enough it came through the baggage carousel

I had that at Chicago once. International flight in, internal onwards and we needed to collect, then recheck everything. Same airline both legs.

Although at least we were told we would need to do this!

mattyfez

Yeah for a 6 hour wait I think I’d stay airside, or at least in the airport – is there a VIP lounge?, they can actually be very good value as you can stuff your face and have a few beers for a fixed price whilst chilling/chatting/surf the net a bit if you have a laptop, or reading a book.

Although if you have to go to baggage reclaim, surely you’d have to go back through security again anyway?

thepurist

The US don’t really do ‘transit’ very well – don’t think I’ve done a transit stop at San Francisco but you often have to go through the same process as anyone else that’s arriving, then go through the same process as anyone else leaving all for the sake of not actually wanting to visit the US at all. That means lots of queues (do NOT cross the yellow line!) and depending on what else has just landed you might use up the whole 6 hours just doing that. I expect that means you’ll also need to get an ESTA as well, as you’ll be entering the US albeit briefly.

footflaps

I had that at Chicago once. International flight in, internal onwards and we needed to collect, then recheck everything. Same airline both legs.

Standard in the US, you always have to collect after the international leg.

Never done International to International via the US, so it might be different.

As for leaving a US airport with only 6 hours! Could easily take that long to go through security…..

lunge

Just checked.
    In the US you have to go through immigration at the point of entry, and that includes your baggage. If you stay flight side you may not need to do this as strictly speaking you’ve not entered the country. If you leave flight side you’ll need to go through immigration and will need some kind of visa to be there, you’ll need to check back in.

BadlyWiredDog

I had a 12-hour break in New York a long time ago flying with United from Peru to Manchester. My baggage was not checked through, but on the plus side, they gave me a free shuttle bus ticket into town – World Trade Centre no less – and I had a wander around. It was quite cool despite me being horribly tired, but there was no time pressure..

For six hours, I wouldn’t bother. By the time you’ve sorted out arrivals etc you’re in a shrinking window and you might as well just kick back, relax and wait for your flight.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Even if you get to stay airside the internal transfer could be well over an hour (us to us). If you are coming from international you will need to go though immergration and could easily be 2-3hr. 6 HR would only be enough to pop out if it was a small local airport

hot_fiat

All american airports are awful. Think national express coach station at 4am but with more neglect and fewer facilities.

At some you can do “identify your checked luggage” this involves you collecting your baggage from one carousel and moving it directly to an adjacent one via an x-ray machine. LAX, MSP and Salt Lake City all do this. It’s all after immmigaration and I’ve missed every connection I’ve ever attempted with this system, because: 1. you will have to endure US immigration which as everyone has pointed out can take 1-2hrs and; 2. you’ll be sneakily directed through a series of convoluted passages straight into the back of the ground side TSA queue.

PDX and I think JFK operate a different system. Here you get to collect your luggage along with all the other travellers and are then booted out to Ground Side in a bit of daze, whereupon you realise you have to go and re-checkin your already checked-in bags at the regular check-in desk (oh look another implausibly long queue). Again, join the TSA queue. If you’re lucky the international arriavals at SFO will have free trolleys. Likelihood is though you’ll have to “rent” one for $5-$10. The B$£%”£ds!

You will struggle to find good food either airside or ground side. Accept the fact you’ll be dining on taco bell or mcjunkfood.

Have you considered rebooking via Canada?

hot_fiat

From a technical perspective you need an ESTA, you will be granted 90days stay in the USA so you could wander off into town. I doubt you have time. No green card or anything more onerous to get. Perhaps ask your airline if you can extend the layover?

DO NOT Screw the ESTA application up. I once erroneously declared that my 4 year old son had illegally attempted to gain employment in the USA. That took some sorting out.

5lab

If you can travel hand luggage only there a chance you’ll have hours spare. I’ve got through us immegration under 15 mins after leaving the plane several times (travelling at the front so first immegrant in the queue) and turned up to the airport 40 mins before the flight home no probs. As you’ll be likely kicked to land side anyway, recheck your bag and look at the click, if you’ve got time grab an Uber in and have fun

TiRed

I once had a longer stopover in Miami (12h Rio to Miami to London). I posted a note on the tandem listserver and was rewarded by the offer of a ride as a stoker. I was collected from MIA went off for a 100km ride, lunch and a shower and back to the airport. Slept soundly all the way back. I’d do the same for someone at LHR if asked (I’m very close).

But 6hr in SF is not long. Air train downtown and back will be two hours of that time gone. Probably get two more hours on the waterfront. I’d spend it at the MoMA if I were you.

scuttler

You’ll need to get an ESTA, clear immigration, collect and recheck luggage. So the same amount of hassle whether you chose to leave or stay in the airport. However all this hassle means your six hour layover probably gives you about enough time to pop out for a fag as the lines can be long at SFO.

The US has no concept of ‘sterile’ transit. But that’s your problem not theirs 🤷

tonyg2003

As many of the posters here mention you almost always have to go pick up bags and recheck them, even go back outside (LAX some terminals) and go back through security (sometimes different terminals) on connecting international slights in the US. US airports are set up mainly for domestic travel. They are very different to European airports in this aspect. That’s why you should always give yourself plenty of time for transfers in US.

SFO to the tourist areas (Golden Gate, Fisherman’s Warfe, Chinatown) is a reasonable / hellish taxi ride depending on the time of day/traffic. Personally I’d pay for a lounge and relax at the airport.

b33k34

Once again, US doesn’t seem to have a concept of ‘transit’ – K got a load of hassle from immigration when she changed planes in Houston (?) on her way to meet me in Mexico. In any other country you’d stay airside and go nowhere near passport control.

6 hours is borderline but get out, back in, two transfers – you’re not going to get more than an hour or two and it’s going to be exhausting. Pre book an airport lounge would be my strategy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.