Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Transit van electrics wtf?? Help!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Whilst driving today in my 2007 transit I kindly flashed another driver out (not your average van driver I know) cue all hell breaking loose! Dash lights up like a Christmas tree and van starts kangarooing down the road as tho the ignition is cutting in and out! Stereo goes off and won’t come back on. 2 mins later all ok.
    Parked up, went to shops, mistakenly on the way home I flash someone else, cue nearly not making it home due to van cutting in and out! Is it terminal?

Jamie
    Free Member

Is it terminal?

It’s probably a terminal.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

try and video it and sods law says it will go away 😆

andyl
    Free Member

short in the light stalk switch?

Had black smoke coming out of mine the other week which had me sitting there making sure i knew where the fire extinguisher was in case it made a turn for the worse.

parkesie
    Free Member

Could be a Shorted main beam circuit check the bulbs and conections.

spooky_b329

Do you know (or can you follow instructions) on how to use a multimeter? If not, cut your losses and take it to a garage. Sounds like a short and could risk further damage if not fixed.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Check the bulbs, if they’re the H4 type bulb with both dipped and main beam in the same bulb, the element can go on one or the other circuit and short onto the other part of the light circuit and backfeed the electrickery into the system.

It causes all sorts of weird and wonderful electrical problems on Mercedes vans and trucks and will probably do the same on Fords.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I presume this is totally un related but its had all the dash out recently to fix the heater being stuck permanently on hot? And separately had a new clutch, all involving disconnecting the battery etc etc. It has been the shittest motor ever and I’ve had it from new. So many things have gone wrong with it!

parkesie
    Free Member

Dash out could be the cause of the problem if theyve pinched any wires putting it all back together. Check your bulbs and conections then back to garage if they are fine.

Suggsey
    Free Member

My useful advice is stop flashing drivers out- you flash they pull out on your advice and have a crash and you find yourself partly culpable! By all means pull up leaving an appropriate gap if it is suitable and you are not causing an obstruction or danger to other road users and leave it up to the person you are leaving the gap for to make their own decision.
    As for the electrics I would just start with taking the cowling off round the igntion and light stalk to make sure that there are no bare ignition wires being shorted out against the stalk when you operate it or self tapping screws that have been replaced grazing through the wire casing.

porter_jamie

Make sure the battery terminals are tight

benji
    Free Member

Had issues with transits that have had a front end shunt, and the headlight wiring loom was trapped causing insulation chafing leading to corroded wires and funny issues. As the dash has been out, it’s not to say a piece of loom is rubbing on the steering column and as you flash, it’s that particular wire causing a not so grounded ground. Might also be worth checking all the fuses as well just to be sure.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Suggsey, ill keep that in mind thanks 🙄

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Transit van electrics wtf?? Help!’ is closed to new replies.