Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Transit Doubke Cab SWB MTB Van
  • kaj0103
    Free Member

Hey
    Anyone got a transit double cab (5 or 6 seater) in short wheelbase themat they use to transport bikes around in?
    I’m looking at buying one but even with wheels off going to have to look at diagonal loading. Any ideas on whether 3 or 4 is possible?
    Anyone done any mods to make them
    fit better?
    Do they fit side ways with front wheel off maybe?
    Cheers

spooky_b329

Any reason you are not considering the MWB? Its only 450mm longer and you’d never notice whilst driving, the only reason I can see is if you can’t fit it on your drive.

kaj0103
    Free Member

I didn’t know there were more than 2 options.
    I know of L1 and L2. I thought they were short and long. Have I missed an option?

Clink

Presume OP is talking about Transit Custom which is SWB or LWB only?
    We had a SWB for 4 years, great van. However we now have a LWB Trafic and have had bulkhead removed and 3 removable rear seats put in – loving the extra space.

kaj0103
    Free Member

Looking at the double cab, front has 3 seats, and then another row of 3 behind. After that is bulk head between the losing space. And yes, transit custom 🙂

Clink

Personally if I was going for another Transit Custom double cab I’d go for a LWB. With a SWB it works, but I used to take front wheels off and pack across the van. Everything easier with a LWB and hardly any difference to parking/driving. One advantage of Trafic is it’s under 2m – useful in a tunnel in France last year!

Tracey

To give you some idea on size we have a Tourneo Custom. Its the longer of the two available.
    We removed the double 3rd row seats straight away and if we fold the 2nd row forward we can get 4 29ers in with the wheels on.
    This leaves us with the two front, 2nd and 3rd row singles to get four in.
    Enough room behind the 3rd seat for all the gear and storage in front of the folded double if needed.

transition1
    Free Member

I have a swb Transit custom with 6 seats & no bulkhead the tears all fold forward & can be removed when I went to Morzine I just removed single seat & placed bikes in back I can fit with seat folded forwards but is tight bike has 1296mm wheelbase so front wheel turned to side no issues with seat removed, had four bikes in back, just one had wheel removed plus have racking down drivers side van

Clink

I have a swb Transit custom with 6 seats & no bulkhead the tears all fold forward & can be removed when I went to

I think this is the Combi version, as no bulkhead? Looked for one of those 2nd hand with no luck.

Andy_K

I’ve got a SWB crew custom, and fit two bikes in diagonally with wheels on. (XL transition and Bird Aeris ML usually)

Any more than two full size bikes, and it’s front wheels off loaded longitudinally.

kaj0103
    Free Member

Thank all
    Looks like I need the L2 really for that extra bit of length at the back. I like the idea of the Tourneo but prefer having the bulkhead separating the load space from me and the other passengers. I will go take a look at one though just to be sure.
    Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Transit Doubke Cab SWB MTB Van’ is closed to new replies.