Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Transit Connect : Berlingo for a bike van. Any opinions?
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

Two pretty much identical vans are available to me. Both white, both same age, mileage, MOT length, service history etc.

Any one got any influencing comments on whether to plump for the Ford or the Renault as I’m struggling to choose between them.

Oh – and it’s for carting bikes around.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If its swb connect the berlingo has a longer load space for bikes.

kayak23

plump for the Ford or the Renault

Citroen you mean…
    Berlingo owner here. I love it.
    I have taken the double seat out of the back, left the singly which also folds up and so it makes a great little bike van.
    You may of course be talking about the purely van one.
    I think the car-based one is more versatile though.

I got three of us into mine with 3 bikes and all our camping gear for 3 weeks in Europe last summer. Worked well but it was a squeeze. I built a false floor in mine so I could shove a few bits underneath.

Normally though, I can get probably 3 bikes in without taking the wheels off, but it’s more comfortable with the front wheels taken off.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrRSwank
    Free Member

It is an SWB Connect. Cool – thanks for the tip 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

I currently have a Peugeot Partner hire van, the new one, which is the same as a berlingo. I normally use a Vauxhall combo and that will take a few bikes, both wheels on just fine. The partner needs the front wheel off unless the bike is put in diagonally, one corner to the other.

I can’t recommend the combo as it is uncomfortable and noisy, even if it is much faster than the Peugeot. I would just go for a VW Caddy and have done.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Doh – yes, Citroen NOT Renault (french innit).

Like the idea of the false floor. I guess I was wondering how bikes would go in with both wheels in – but if you reckon you can squeeze three in then that’s more then enough for me.

The Berlingo I’ve seen is a very clean example it’s fair to say.

kayak23

As mentioned above, they do have to go diagonally though…Alternating bars helps.

trail_rat
    Free Member

3 bikes in 2006 pug partner no wheels off straight wedged between side and each seat and the third slightly between front seats … Not far enough to notice it when sat in front.

Now if only i could sort the hammering engine yielding no fault codes 🙁

IA

New shape berlingos (bit bigger than the old ones) the bikes go in longways wheels on. Just put them down the side, upright, with the bars turned about 45 degrees, put the second bike with the front wheel infront of the first, if that makes sense?

I have the car-variant, and with 2 seats out the back, I can fit 3 in wheels on no bother, even my massive 22″ 29er AM bike fits like that.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve owned both 🙂

LWB hi-top Connect is the way forward, or it’s horses for courses.

Both were very reliable. Both it’s better to go for the bigger engine, more refined, quicker and just nicer to drive.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I’m leaning more towards the Berlingo now.

Can’t do a LWB Connect as I’ve a limited space to park one and the SWB fits perfectly.

skiprat
    Free Member

Used to have a Connect through work. We fitted 5 bikes in the back, only 1 without wheels, and a few bags for a trip away. Drives ok but the front screen is stupid big. Never got stuck in anything be it mud or snow and did ok on fuel.

Did find it went through front tyres quite quick and at the time i had one some of the parts were dealer only so our fitter did struggle for some parts, may not be an issue now.

We have 3 Berlingo’s, 2 of which are older than my Connect was and they are still here, the Connect isn’t.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I get two bikes and a tandem in the “old” Berlingo car with only the tandem front wheel out – you’ll get less in a van as it has the bulkhead.

Watch out for the rear axle design flaw which causes the wheels to go off the vertical, only a few hundred pounds to get a new axle then it has to be fitted. In other words not economically viable, though some places do a refurb for less but then you need to know how long the rest of the vehicle has left in it.

thebunk

Don’t forget that a transit is classified as a van, and a Berlingo is classed as a car. Transit will have slightly different speed limits to remember, and you have to pay more for some tolls.

Probably worth checking if you save or lose on tax and insurance as well.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Do they do the new Berlingo/Partners in two wheelbases? We were wondering this yesterday because my Five absolutely will not fit in the back of this with both wheels on if I put it in straight, but my mate says he’s has seen it done in the car version.

It is short enough that when put in straight the forks are only just in. The bike is a 17″ size.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

The new Berlingos do come in two lengths but the one I’m looking at is old so I guess it now classes as an SWB.

There’s no way my bike will go in straight – it would mean a wheel off or in at an angle.

Interesting point about the Tax and Tolls. I went to Wales yesterday and it’d be nice to know the Severn crossing toll was the same as the car.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Luke do you have a bulkead between cab and load space? That eats up space for fitting bikes in

hora
    Free Member

On the Berlingo – does it really matter (reliability) if its petrol or diesel?

skiprat
    Free Member

On our Berlingo’s, the bulkheads only behind the drivers seat, almost like a ladder type thing floor to ceiling. Its not full width or height.

Ours are the 1.9 or 2ltr diesels. Had no problems with them over the past 5 years. Just wear and tear parts. They are really quick for a little van, easy wheel spin in 1st and 2nd, even 3rd on wet round abouts.

hora
    Free Member

Can you bring one on the next ride? 8)

munrobiker
    Free Member

Trailrat- aye, there is a bulkhead. I have one in my combo too though. Toll charges are all over the place I find, I almost always pay full van rates despite the one I use officially counting as a car. 13 quid to cross the Severn!

Make sure you try and get a Berlingo with air con if you get the car version, they are a greenhouse!

boblo
    Free Member

Bit of a hijack but related…

Anyone tried the C4 Grand Picasso? Looks like it will take plenty bikes, even a tandem and doesn’t look too special needs…..

hora
    Free Member

Aye- terrible. Its big but its disconnected and vague. Driving position etc is good but it feels very disconnected. A Transit van is bigger yet soo much easier to guage each corner, drive with gusto and really just feel what its bloody doing.

dabble
    Free Member

I have a Berlingo van- Berlingo FTW!

Seriously though, its a grand little van that takes some hammer. I’m a mechanical engineer travelling up and down the country wi all me tackle in the van and it runs sound.
    Likewise for getting bikes in its a doddle, 2 full bikes and 1 with is front wheel off wi room for a little mate in the back as well (shh, don’t tell the rozzers!). Pretty decent on the ole diesel as well.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Thought it was only bigger vans that had te lower speed limits.
    But saying that my daily drive was a lh35 master
    And never got done despite sitting at 60 ish on normal roads and a liking for not going slowly on the motor way

ian martin
    Free Member

I’ve got a vauxhall combo for sale if interested?
    I bought for the same reasons as yourself and it has a solid steel bulkhead devider between the seats and back and has security deadlocks.

ian martin
    Free Member

The magic weight for vans is 2000kg. Over that and its 60mph on dual carriage ways.
    The connect is over 2000kg, the berlingo & combo are under 2000kg.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Just bought a Berlingo Multispace, it’s brilliant and I love it. Takes 2 bikes with the seats folded flat without the need to take off wheels. If we do give people lifts then we can put a towbar bike rack on the back and put the seats up.

Raindog
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the Transit but I’ve loved my Berlingo, sadly now for sale 🙁

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Transit Connect : Berlingo for a bike van. Any opinions?’ is closed to new replies.