Viewing 22 posts - 161 through 182 (of 182 total)
  • Transgender children at school…
  • aracer
    Free Member

The wider implications raised through a combination of strawman and slippery slope arguments?

enfht
    Free Member

“Should we force people to conform to our ideas about gender identity or just learn to accept that people are different” is the only visible strawman.

GrahamS

You’re right I didn’t watch it. I’ve watched enough alt-right “X destroys/humiliates/owns feminist/liberal/SJW Y” videos to know the basic formula. They are all over YouTube.

I’d rate you 5 on the Outraged Scale.

No idea what the scale goes up to. But I self-identify as a 3.7 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    enfht
    Free Member

Mentioning alt-right has just increased your score.

GrahamS

“X humiliates Y” is a very common alt-right meme.

So is being dismissive of gender politics and suggesting that liberals are outraged or triggered.

enfht
    Free Member

Nothing at all to do with being dismissive. Enlightened liberals are far too quick to shout ad hominem so please allow others to mock their fragility in the face of reason and logic. 😆

GrahamS

Enlightened liberals are far too quick to shout ad hominem

Says the person that literally just accused me of being outraged 🙄

So let’s hear your take them (not a videos): should we allow people to define their own gender identity?

fin25
    Free Member

Watched the video…is bollocks.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Transgender children? To quote Renton… What the **** are you boys on? 😆

GrahamS

Watched the video…is bollocks.

But you have now contributed to its view count and pushed it up the YouTube rankings. Which seems to be the point of these trolling videos.

fin25
    Free Member

But you have now contributed to its view count and pushed it up the YouTube rankings. Which seems to be the point of these trolling videos.

Oh my god…youtube rankings…What have I done???

jonnyboi

Watched it, shite argument. It’s got nothing to do with protecting transgender children and dumbs it down to a white guy in a suit basically yelling ‘if I want to play women’s hockey then no one can stop me” because it’s as simple as just saying ‘I’m a women’

As if. It completely ignores the level of emotional turmoil, stress, self doubt, isolation and all the other emotions that people go through when they try to resolve their sexual orientation or gender. Not to mention the bullying and abuse that takes place.

This is on a level with suggesting homosexuality can be cured.

GrahamS

Oh my god…youtube rankings…What have I done???

😆

That’s they way the propaganda game is played these days though. YouTube rankings, social media shares, memes.

The conservative right is very keen to keep the liberal left talking about gender issues (Bannon said as much himself) because they know it pushes them further away from more conservative voters and gives the impression that the left are more concerned about bathrooms than jobs.

kimbers

Fortunately there is a generation growing up that aren’t hung up on stereotypes and bigotry of Christianity.

Latest polls show the UK at least is becoming ever more secular, bitter old dinosaurs like Farage, bannon, trump Murdoch and the people they appeal to are literally a dying breed.

Of course, as with Brexit they can still lash out and try and drag us back to an imagined past they better understood.

batfink
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    WTF is a “girls toy” or a “boys toy” for a 3yo anyway? Right there we have part of the issue.

Posting to say this too ^

I think people are conflating “children challenging our ridiculous gender stereotypes”, with people being transgender. Getting upset that a little boy wants to wear a dress to school is, frankly, idiotic….. as is labeling that boy as transgender.

Why do we insist that children of different genders play with different toys, play different games, dress differently, have different haircuts etc etc? At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious: it seems to me that most gender identity issues are being driven by us anyway.

When I was at school in the 90s the (relatively strict) school had to change it’s dress code to allow girls to wear trousers. I can remember not understanding what the hell all the fuss was about.

sbob
    Free Member

enfht – Member

Let’s not ignore the wider issue, should gender identity determine gender?

All that video does is highlight that a shouty man doesn’t understand the difference between sex and gender.

zokes
    Free Member

Just heading back to the trope of “we’re all entitled to our opinions”:

Kelly-Anne Conway notwithstanding, there are only one set of facts, and if your opinions don’t align with them then you should be open to ridicule. In the context of the present argument, as others have said, the reason people presume that gender fluidity is a new thing is simply because up until a few years ago anyone who stepped out of the cis binary world was pushed back into it, frequently with tragic results.

molgrips
    Free Member

there are only one set of facts

That is not always true. And in the case of humans, facts are only opinions that most people share anyway. This is why we have such a problem. It is perfectly possible for no-one to know the truth even if it is knowable, which is in itself debatable.

crankboy
    Free Member

thanks for the tucker carson video enfht he really is spectacularly ill informed , and fails to grasp simple points. It is a real laugh to watch him thrash aimlessly about.

His whole argument seems to be that people randomly select gender identity on a whim, so it must be a fake thing otherwise big butch blokes would get to play women’s sports for a laugh.

I’d be surprised if you would any qualified scientist ie biologist or psychiatrist who would argue that gender was purely binary or indeed that race was anything more than a geographical and social construct.

zokes
    Free Member

And in the case of humans, facts are only opinions that most people share anyway.

See. Quantifiably wrong. Facts are facts, absolute.

Opinions are people’s differing perceptions of those facts, frequently infused with an unhealthy dose of sky magician dogma thrown in.

fin25
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Facts are facts, absolute.

Hehe…

Viewing 22 posts - 161 through 182 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘Transgender children at school…’ is closed to new replies.