Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Transferring Whatsapp chat history from Apple to Android.
  • topper

Sorry if this has been done before (couldn’t find it in search results).
    I’m in the process of migrating Mrs Topper from Apple IOS to Android. I’ve managed to transfer everything so far with only the Whatsapp chat history to go, and I’m struggling.
    It seems that Apple will only let you backup to Icloud, which will not work on an Android device. I’ve found several pay to use programs bit they’re not filling me with confidence. If I was to lose the data in the transfer I would have to go and hide for a few weeks.

Do any of you good folk have any experience of success with this onerous task?

Cheers in advance!

T

bearnecessities

https://www.wazzapmigrator.com/

Worked brilliantly for me and the support is also very good..

P-Jay
    Free Member

I shouldn’t think it’s an issue. I access WA via Opera browser, it has my entire chat history on it even though I’ve never transferred data?

matt_outandabout

I thought it backs up to its own servers.
    You then just sign in on new device and allow some time for it to download…

sl2000

Whatsapp messages are only stored on your phone not on their servers – so p-jay and moab aren’t right this time. The whatsapp web browser client only works when your phone is on and gets the messages from your phone. I’ve no advice on how to actually do the transfer.

ta11pau1

You can back up the chats to Google drive, so I would think that so long as you can get Google drive on the iPhone, you’re good to go.

phil5556

I thought it backs up to its own servers.
    You then just sign in on new device and allow some time for it to download…

Unfortunately not. It either backs up to iCloud or Google Drive. You need to use a transfer program to go from one to the other.

I recently had to do it from android to iOS

bearnecessities

Just to save you trawling through options, I researched this issue to death and it’s just not possible without a third party app – hence my recommendation as I researched that to death also 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yup, WhatsApp only backs up to the default cloud save for whatever OS it’s running on. I discovered this when I tried to migrate from Windows to Android. There is no way of circumventing this regardless of whether there is a way of accessing the alternative drive from either device. I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Something to do with the encryption i imagine. When you set it to backup it pops up with a warning saying that data stored elsewhere isnt encrypted.

I assumed like BB messenger nothing actually gets stored on their server its all on your phone. Hence why when you logon via the web it only works as long as your phone has reception.

CountZero

I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea.

Really? You’ve missed all the fuss about various security and government agencies getting cranky with the likes of Apple refusing to give access to various messaging systems on the grounds of privacy and security, saying that they absolutely cannot hand over any information because they don’t have any, it’s all completely encrypted and they don’t hold the keys.
    I guess you’re quite ok with any Tom, Dick or Harry accessing your private conversations.
    I’m not, I think it’s a perfectly good idea, because if there’s a back door into those apps, they’ll find back doors into even more sensitive areas, like banking, and as has been proven in recent years, once the likes of the FBI and NSA get involved, the likelihood is that info will get out into the wild, to the delight of the hacking community; remember the hacking attacks on the NHS a year or two back? That used ‘ware developed by the NSA.

Cougar

remember the hacking attacks on the NHS a year or two back? That used ‘ware developed by the NSA.

It wasn’t an attack on the NHS per se, rather they were collateral damage. But that aside yes, as much as it sounds like a conspiracy theory you’re 100% correct.

If nothing else this should highlight how recentish moves by our government to attempt to (oversymplifying) “ban secure encryption” isn’t the greatest of ideas. If the NSA can’t keep their secrets secret then our lot have no $%^&ing chance.

willard

Yes, TL;DR… If you put a backdoor in any type of encryption it will get found and someone will use it for the purpose it was not intended for. We’ve seen so many vulnerabilities identified in recent years that have messed up SSL and TLS (Heartbleed, POODLE, etc) that deliberately weakening the protocols even further (ok, just TLS… SSL is dead) is not a good idea.

topper

Thanks folks for all the responses. Bearnecessities hit the nail on the head in the first repsonse.

Bear’ many thanks. Did you manage to transfer standard text history also?

Again, many thanks all.

T.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Standard text message history is much easier, will come across using whatever migration tool you use. I went from iOS to Pixel and the google migration tool even matched the apps between iOS and Android app stores. Samsung does similar, not tested other brands but would be surprised if they don’t have the same features.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Transferring Whatsapp chat history from Apple to Android.’ is closed to new replies.