Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Transferring money to New Zealand
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

What is the best / cheapest way to get GBP across to New Zealand as there local currency?

Small amounts such as birthday gifts to kids etc <£100

peterfile
    Free Member

Paypal gift?

(seriously)

Fee for GBP to NZD on £100 transfer is $0.50

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Paypal was one of my thoughts but how do they get the money out. The kid is 10 and wants to walk into the sports shop with dollars in his hand

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    peterfile
    Free Member

Can’t you tell mum and dad to stick $100 in a card from you and then give them the same amount by paypal?

NZCol

If you get stuck you can PayPal it to me and I will transfer 100 to their account for you.

NZCol

We don’t actually use money here, certainly not a currency that has value outside our small islands….

peterfile
    Free Member

If you get stuck you can PayPal it to me and I will transfer 100 to their account for you.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

NZCol – thanks for the offer but we can get the money over there by using HSBC cash transfer. It isn’t an emergency.

What we were wondering was if anyone on here does similar on a regular basis and has worked out the cheapest, most reliable way to do it.

mrmo
    Free Member

We don’t actually use money here, certainly not a currency that has value outside our small islands….

makes decent tyre repair patches though.

mjason

IME Moneycorp is consistently cheaper for USD – Sterling (and back) currency transfers. Much better than the banks.

peterfile
    Free Member

MoneyCorp is a lot of hassle for such small, one off payments though surely? Also, just noticed transfer fees start at £5, so hugely expensive for a <£100 transfer!

kcal

I think we usually come to some agreement where Anne-Marie’s sister (who’s in Oz) will give an amount in AUS$ to her children, and Anne-Marie (here) will give a roughly equivalent amount tour two (in GBP£).

jonahtonto
    Free Member

buy them some bitcoins?

Greybeard
    Free Member

I use currencyfair.com – peer to peer exchange so you get the mid-market rate, eg, exactly the same as exchanging the other way. They take 0.3% for providing the forum. You deposit the funds in your account with them using a normal free bank transfer, then they charge £3 for you to transfer it into the foreign account. No other charges. I’ve used it 3 times for ski apartments in Europe, my BiL now living in Canada uses it regularly to transfer his UK pension.

Royston
    Free Member

Most NZ banks will accept UK bank cheques which take 21 working days to clear. Some banks charge a nominal $0.50 fee some like mine ASB charge nothing you just have to wait the 21 days. My relatives often send money gifts for my kids this way.

konabunny
    Free Member

Go to post office, buy a couple of hundred quid in NZD, send it periodically by mail?

krag
    Free Member

I’ve used HiFx for large transfers (car, house deposits) transferred from UK savings to NZ bank account with no hassles and you get decent rates.

My mam just gets NZD out of the UK post office and sticks in my Christmas/Birthday cards for small amounts.

poolman
    Free Member

Currencyfair here too. Good rates and almost same day service.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We used any of the transfer companies but you need to shop around a bit depending on the amount. These days we still have a UK account for the house over there so we just get people to pay into that in £ which saves us transferring money back over.
    After that PP is good for small amounts.

nedrapier

I used Tranferwise recently after baulking at NatWest’s £25 fee to send £170 to Norway.

Quite clever peer-to-peer transfer matching. You put your destination bank deets in, say how much you want to tranfer, give it a range +/-% of today’s exchange rate, pay a deposit which is today’s ROE + deposit to take you to your upper boundary, you get an email later that day or a day or sao later saykng they’ve matched yours with “Tom” transferring the other way, this was the ROE, and the relevant sum from your deposit back onto the card you paid with.

Poopsies
    Free Member

My Mother wanted to send us over the equivalent sterling to NZ$400 for Xmas. I opened a paypal account, which took about 5 minutes, and added my bank account. She then transferred the money and the next day I received it and transferred it to my bank account, which is where I am assuming it is now. Dead easy.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Transferring money to New Zealand’ is closed to new replies.