Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Transferring money abroad
  • nicko74

As the font of all knowledge, I'm hoping stw can help me here. I need to get about £3k to Canada in the next few working days for the missus to place a deposit on a flat. What's the easiest/ quickest/ cheapest way to do so – through my bank, a foreign exchange place or elsewhere?
    THanks!

saladdodger
    Free Member

Hifx works for me doing transfers to france

rs
    Free Member

**** me, that must be some flat, where abouts you moving?

this will be no use to you just now but i have two paypal accounts, one linked to my account in the uk and one to my account in canada, works well for hassle free transfers.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

we use foreign currency direct http://www.currencies.co.uk/

much cheaper than our bank (barclays) – better rates and quicker.

nicko74

rs – good point, hadn't thought of that but should've. Next time that should do it.
    In the meantime, I'll check out those other two 🙂

fergusd

Speak to your banks foreign currency/transfers department, they will be able to do this, they will need info from the missus about the destination account number, bank details, IBAN code, etc . . . likely the transfer will cost you a few quid . . .

Problem with this is that some banks use different terms for the same things, making your life more difficult . . .

Leaving things to the last moment means your life is more difficult 😉 . . . time to learn to prepare 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

HiFX have been fine for me.

AlasdairMc

IBAN generally isn't used in Canada, so you'll need the bank SWIFT code, account number and the routing transit number. Most big British banks will be able to pay CAD same day to Canadian banks, so allow two to three days for the payment to hit the account.

Burts
    Free Member

HiFX worked for me too, UK > Canada. But it took a few days to set-up with proof of ID etc, so check with them how long it will take for the overall process.

nicko74

Cheers everyone, will check these out. As for

time to learn to prepare

I'll tell the other half that!

ononeorange

Only just seen this. Recently discovered caxton FX, rates have been very good, no hidden charges and superb service.

konabunny
    Free Member

xe.com have been good to me so far.

You send GBP to their UK account, they send CAD to your Canadian account.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Transferring money abroad’ is closed to new replies.