Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Transferring DvCam footage to pc via firewire
  • DickBarton

I’m stumped with this…I put a pic express firewire card in my machine…a few years old now, 8gb Ram, 2gb on-board video (no memory expansion possible).

Cable connected to camera and pc and my software detects the camera but can’t play anything…so I’m unable to capture any footage.

I’m sure there will be very clever people who do this a bit and can hopefully offer me some assistance on how to resolve it.

Windows 10 64-bit machine with a standard firewire driver installed.

Capture software is Cyberpunk Powerdirector 15.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

breninbeener

i used to use this method. its pretty old school. i am sure i had to open some software to capture the feed from the camcorder.

from memory you need a fast HD on the receivimg computer to avoid dropouts.

DickBarton

Yup, camera is about 10 years old, how else could I transfer the tape content?

cbike
    Free Member

I’ve used Mpeg Streamclip  (PC and Mac) in the past to capture via firewire and do file conversions.   It’s possible you are missing codecs that may be redundant these days.

If you don’t have camera control you may have to press play.

DickBarton

Suspect you may be right…pressing play doesn’t do anything on the pc. Will do more digging, ta.

Cougar

You might need the legacy Firewire drivers installing.  The instructions here for W8.1 applies to W10 also.  Disconnect everything from the port, reboot when finished before connecting the camera back up again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2970191/firewire-port-based-device-does-not-work-correctly-in-windows-8-1-or-w

DickBarton

Ta

DickBarton

Thanks Cougar, getting there…still not 100% but working better.

Might now be my editing software…but I’ll have a play around.

Anyone know of a lightweight capture tool for Windows 10?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Transferring DvCam footage to pc via firewire’ is closed to new replies.