Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • TransAlp
  • wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Having just watched the video on the home page, once i’d stopped chuckling at the music and what has to be a comedy dialogue i checked it out.
    Has anyone done it? It obviously looks very XC, but a 7 day stage race appeals and I must admit i’m tempted by the challenge. The requirement of needing a two man team kind of scuppers my initial enthusiasm.

So what bike for transalp? What kit? What logistics?

(this may never happen but who knows….)

welshfarmer

Appeals in a masochistic way 🙂 But no way I would ever be fit enough. What are others riding. My guess would be a light but sturdy 29er HT would be the weapon of choice. I did read a blog of someone who did it last year but was some time ago. Sure you will find plenty of stuff if you google it. Would be an epic thing to have done though.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Yup done it. And Trans Portugal and Trans Rickies.

I took my Zesty 140mm 26″. Be prepared for 30 plus degrees to pushing through snow in the Dolimities. Yes you need to be fit and importantly a good leathery ass. Not technical but loads climbing, 3000m plus each day. Accom in sports halls isn’t too bad, I used a couple hotels too. Partners, someone you can get on with and about the same fitness and commitment. Practice multi day rides. Hand wash powder to wash gear. They transport your bag to stage end each day.

It’s not the bike, invest in the man or lady.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The requirement of needing a two man team kind of scuppers my initial enthusiasm.

Not done it but done three 4 day stage races in the last few years, 2 solo one as a pair.
    The pair thing is the best and worst possible combination, never do it with somebody you are in a relationship with unless it’s rock solid, it’s much easier to tell a mate to f off than a partner.
    Understand each others weaknesses, thats what will determine how you finish, know where you can help each other and where you just need to back off.
    Try and match evenly and have similar expectations – ie it’s a fun holiday or we are going to podium.
    If it’s the latter make sure you have the safe word sorted for “I can’t keep up this pace, lets just chill and look at the scenery”

Looks amazing though, read in a mag about some german guys doing it as a guided more uplifted riding holiday which seemed great.

edit

Hand wash powder to wash gear. They transport your bag to stage end each day.

Buy more gear, best excuse ever to get new gloves and some new comfy bib shorts – 3 days in I put on the 3rd choice bibs and regretted it.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I take three sets normally. Best to keep your ass clean and your gear when it’s seven plus days

rpallen
    Free Member

Did it last year. great event and they are mixing it up a little this year, starting from Switzerland (usually starts from Germany) and adding more singletrack.

Very well organised, logistics tend to work well.

You’ll want to be pretty fit, as its long days (6hrs) with plenty of climbing. But its fun.

TexWade
    Free Member

Look at the bike4peaks too – 4 days in Austrian Alps and can ride solo. I am signed up this year. They have apparently shortened the stages and made course more technical since not constrained by a point to point route this year. There are 2 centres so can spend 2 nights in each hotel.

nickdavies

I’ve looked at a few of these, the Swiss epic is top of my list. 2 person team is the limiting factor, not many others I know who want to slog themselves around that kind of event! Cannondale habit reviewed a while ago looks like the bike for the job!

Sven

Did the 2nd one ever in 1999, different times then (Mag21 suspension forks) but I enjoyed it, having a partner of similar fitness is key… Finished middle of the lot.

stevego
    Free Member

Doing the Transpyr this year as part of a European holiday next year. Was going to do it as a pair but riding partner had other stuff come up so solo it is. Time to start training me thinks.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I haven’t done it but I’ve done Iron Bike which is arguably tougher. 8 days versus 7, and more technical riding. I used a 29er carbon HT which I was happy with. Only thing I’d change would be wider bars.
    Oh and make sure you carry a spare mech hanger.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘TransAlp’ is closed to new replies.