Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Trans Cambrian Way
  • lexiekay
    Free Member

A group of us are planning on riding the trans cambrian way over Easter, starting in Knighton. Just wondering if anyone else has done this route, and if so where did you leave your cars (if you drove to the start)? Thanks!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I tried to do it in a day last year. Managed just under 80 miles (with a support crew) but had to bail as conditions were truly horrible.

You can leave cars at Knighton, there’s a visitor centre there. Just let them know that’s what you’re doing.
    Or I think you can park near Dovey Junction and get the train to the start.

grtdkad

All of the info you could ever need is on the IMBA website.

Unlike IR_B above, we did the conventional 3-day plan. Challenging enough, trust me. Experienced a few seasons in three days – 115 miles and 12000ft climbing IIRC
    Parked in Knighton by the way; minibus from Mach back to Knighton as per IMBA guide.

boblo
    Free Member

Park in Knighton, train back from Dovey Junction. Make sure you get there early enough or you’ll face an unscheduled night in Shrewsbury (gah!). 3 reasonably tough days bike packing. Possibly easier mid summer rather than a soggy November when I did it.

lexiekay
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – I’ve read the guide which has lots of useful info but just wanted to check there was a car park or somewhere in Knighton where we could leave the cars for 4 days. We’ve decided to do the four day option so we can really enjoy the ride – fair play to anyone attempting it in a day! Accommodation is all sorted, just got to hope for good weather now….! Great write up by the way, and a wonderful way to remember your son. Are you still planning another attempt?

ir_bandito
    Free Member
    bacondoublechee
    Free Member

We parked at Knighton station and bivvied it. We had great weather (although I guess the heat made it a bit more tiring as there is very little shade up there), even still it was a hard route with lots of grass riding, steep climbs and there were some big puddles and river crossings that would be difficult in poor weather. Don’t forget midgie spray like we did!

grtdkad

Just read your blog super session. Great effort for your boy. All of the best.

cinnamon_girl

IIRC this was done by the legendary pedalhead of this parish, on a singlespeed no less. 😯

There is a write-up on here if you search.

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Did it in ~48 hours last year with two overnight stops, camping… was ace and almost too hot (!) when we did it but it was very enjoyable and remote riding in parts.
    Parked in the station car pack in Mach (the station master thought we were mad to ask if the van would be OK for a few days… ‘course it will’ was his comment, and it was too). We wanted to finish and not be tied to train times so got train to the start and then could drive home whenever.
    Massive second brekkie in Rhayader after a few hours in the saddle and then on to Cwm Ystwyth for a second night camping. Will be doing it again this year I think.
    Crap video below.
    TCW on Vimeo

Chew
    Free Member
    Blackhound

Mr pedalhead’s sub 12 hour was indeed excellent. Don’t think it has stopped raining since;-)

We stayed in a pub which had a local (non pub) car-park next door and was told that would be safe. Car was still there next evening when we got back.

I have also heard that Machynleth rail station is a safe place to leave it. Park there, get train back to Newtown, ride to Knighton and tghen follow TCW.

TCW

parkesie
    Free Member

Left car at knighton station for 3 days and had a great time out didnt see another person on the trail till up in the elan reservoirs.

Blackhound

parkesie – must have been a bank holiday when you went. Saw no one. One of the nice things about the route is it’s quietness.

parkesie
    Free Member

3 people on bikes one going for a tootle round a reservoir and a couple doing it the opposite way. Was a great ride got some pics ill put up later

parkesie
    Free Member

P8081135 by Parkesiemtb, on Flickr

P8081183 by Parkesiemtb, on Flickr

P8081182 by Parkesiemtb, on Flickr

P8081190 by Parkesiemtb, on Flickr

P8091202 by Parkesiemtb, on Flickr

P8091235 by Parkesiemtb, on Flickr

P8091264 by Parkesiemtb, on Flickr

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Trans Cambrian Way’ is closed to new replies.